Trying to learn to use the wrap for back carries, 17m DD won't let me! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's hard enough as it is, but DD HATES it when I try to wrap her. I can barely get her on my back before she wigs out and squirms. There is no way possible to put her on my back to wrap her.  She is fine on my back in the ergo and mei tai, but I just bought a gorgeous wrap and I really want to use it - is that just never going to happen? Anyone BTDT?

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM

I desperately want to learn how to back carry with a wrap, but my daughter isn't having any of it either.  She is 18 months, but I've tried randomly since she was 14 months and no luck.  Even if I have someone hold her, she fights it the whole time.  So, I'm just getting excited about having a new baby and trying it then!

Mama to three

#3 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Yup, went through the same thing with my son. When I finally got brave enough to do backwraps, he would just wiggle out of them, lean back really far and almost far out (because he wasn't still while I was wrapping) and when I tried to wrap, he would prop himself up on his hands and wouldn't lay flat on my back. Grrrr.....I think its just an age thing. Now I'm prego, and he's 30 pounds, 2 years old, and hardly sits still unless its Toy Story on TV or eating a snack. LOL

#4 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 AM

I had the same problem when DD was little and squirmy! I actually wrapped her in front of the TV. She didn't see much TV so it kept her absolutely still and she didn't care what I was doing, lol. You could practice in front of anything that would hold her interest like a fish tank or something. As she got used to being wrapped on my back, she stopped squirming and just held on.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM

Same for me, I think it was just waiting too long to try because by that age they have no patience for the wrapping, whereas you can pop them into a soft structured carrier or mei tai easily.

I'm pregnant and due in 2 weeks with my second at this point and I plan to do wrapping from the start so she will let me back carry when she is older.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

That's a good tip about the TV.  I just don't want to have ruined my chance to wrap her!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM

We started back wrapping around 8 months, so DD did just get used to it.  But she still had squirmy phases!  What worked best for us (and this was around 1.5ish) was putting a video on youtube, and then angling the laptop and her so that she had to lay flat on my back to see it.  I've also heard of people having good luck with fiddly snacks or normally forbidden toys.  Youtube worked for us though!

Another good trick is to use a back carry with a chest belt while you and your DD get used to back wrapping.  The chest belt (fancy name for a knot in front) will be the first thing you tie, so it will hold your DD on to you.  Then you can take your time with the rest of the wrap job without having to worry about her jumping off your back.  Secure high back carry (SHBC) has a chest belt, and some versions of back wrap cross carry (BWCC) have chest belts too.

It can also help to practice back carries with a stuffed animal for a few days, until you really have the carry memorized (like muscle memory, so you don't have to stop and think of what to do next) and are used to moving the wrap around.  That will make you much faster when you actually back wrap with your DD, so you'll be more likely to be able to finish the wrap job before she freaks out.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif

Tags
Babywearing , Wraps , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page