Need Help Deciding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am SO overwhelmed by all the different types of carriers. We are down to the following:

-Baby K'tan

-Cuddly Wrap

-Blue Celery

-Hot Slings

Any opinions on what is best?!

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Why not attend a baby wearing meeting, learn about these carriers. Here is a listing of groups in Canada.

http://www.granolababies.com/babywearing-groups/info_27.html 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFlanders View Post

I am SO overwhelmed by all the different types of carriers. We are down to the following:

-Baby K'tan

-Cuddly Wrap

-Blue Celery

-Hot Slings

Any opinions on what is best?!

Hot slings--These aren't appropriate to use with a newborn.  You can't adjust a pouch sling, which means you likely won't be able to wear the baby in an upright, tummy to tummy position (which is the safest position for newborns).  You'll probably be stuck doing a cradle carry with a newborn if you have a pouch sling.  Cradle carries are risky because they can force the baby's chin against her chest, which will not allow her to breathe (and newborns aren't strong enough to pick up their heads, so this is really dangerous).

Baby K-tan and Blue Celery--These are basically the same thing, as far as I can tell.  I haven't tried one, but the general consensus in the babywearing community is that these are hard to get the right size with.  They also aren't as adjustable as a regular stretchy wrap, like you can't tighten those loops that cross over your body, so it can get very saggy.

Cuddly Wrap--This seems like a regular stretchy wrap, but I haven't tried one (and I don't think it's one of the more popular brands of stretchy wraps).  Stretchy wraps are great for newborns.  They start becoming saggy and uncomfortable once the baby hits about 15 lbs though, which for DD, was around 3 months.  They're also not safe for back carrying--even though some companies say back carries are safe in them (just as a note).

So my vote is the Cuddly Wrap, but you'll probably need another carrier after a few months when your baby grows out of it.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! After looking into the hot sling, I would agree that it doesn't seem like the safest choice. I appreciate the input! :)

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

Tags
Babywearing , Baby Ktan , Wraps , Ring Slings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page