Babywearing at the beach - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I am planning a beach trip with my 23-24 pound young toddler, who adores any and all water. She hasn't yet been to the ocean, and I was thinking that wearing her in would be a good introduction. I currently have a Hotslings pouch, which we love for hip carries, and a Pikkolo (also a Zolowear ring sling that hasn't really worked for us). It seems like a water sling might be a good investment. Would you all suggest going with something like a Sleeping Baby Productions mesh ring sling, or do you think I could wear my cotton Hotslings into the water and put the money I'd have spent on a water sling toward a woven ring sling or wrap? I would be grateful for any BTDT advice!

Thank you all!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#2 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM

You can definitely wear your hotsling in the water, but be prepared for it to be ruined (like stained and bleached out).  I do have a mesh ring sling, but I've only used it in the shower.  I don't think I'd buy one just for one trip.  I did buy a water carrier for a vacation when DD was about 1...it was a solarveil mei tai.  DD really just wanted to be held in my arms, she was NOT having the mei tai.  I think in your case I'd just wear the hotsling (or maybe buy a cheapy used hotsling, you can usually find them used for like $15 on the baby carrier selling boards) and save money for a woven wrap.  But I'm totally in love with woven wraps, so I'd definitely prioritize being able to budget for one over adding basically any other carrier to your stash.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM

My solarveil RS has been a wonderful investment!!  I bought it when DD1 was 12m, and it has gotten a ton of use with each child. PLUS I have lent it out to a ton of friends. It's well-traveled ;)  So I would vote for buying the water-friendly sling.

That said, if you're not reaching for your ZW sling (I have one; they are super uncomfy unless you remove the stitching to change the shoulder), use it in the water. If it gets ruined, you're not out much.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#4 of 8 Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 AM

I used a denim / cotton hip hammock (not by playtex, by the original maker), which dried easily and I could wear it again and again the whole trip.  She is Nancie Swank on Etsy but for some reason Etsy isn't coming up for me.  Great hip carrier for babies over 15 lbs.  The cotton or nylon would be great for the water.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
#5 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 PM

For a one time trip, I would use what you already have. 

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#6 of 8 Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post\

That said, if you're not reaching for your ZW sling (I have one; they are super uncomfy unless you remove the stitching to change the shoulder), use it in the water. If it gets ruined, you're not out much.

Tutorial for this?

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#7 of 8 Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Tutorial for this?

I had the old shoulder (circa 2006?), not the new pleated one. About 4 inches from the flat band near the rings, the shoulder was pleated and then sewn down so that the fabric stayed flat. I took a seam ripper and completely--carefully--removed that seam. Then I washed the sling in hot water and spread out the fabric when it was wet to work out some of the creases and then dried it.  

It did improve the wear of it, and it was free from a friend, so I was glad to be able to use it. It still wasn't as comfy as my SBP slings, but it did the job. I did have to have the rings slightly lower than corsage to make it fit at all right, but it wasn't too bad. 

If yours does not have the sewn down portion there's really not much you can do to "fix" the shoulder. 

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#8 of 8 Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I recently took my 20 lb water loving toddler to the beach. We wore her in and that lasted for about 2 minutes. She was all about the waves and sand and wanted to run in and get knocked over. I dont know how old your little one is, but he may want to get down and play immediately, so I wouldnt worry too much about the hotsling getting too bleached out. I think itll be fine as long as you arent wearing it in the water all day long.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
Babywearing , Ring Slings , Hotslings , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page