soft structured carrier with a tall body - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I've gotten frustrated with the ergo. The body is WAY, WAY too short. I don't wear my 2yo any more, but when I did even with the straps tightened as tightly as they can go, if he was feeling ornery he could arch his back so far that the top of the fabric is at his butt and he's practically hanging upside down. On a good day, he'd sit with his weight leaning back in the carrier versus leaning forward on my back, putting strain on my shoulders/upper back. I'd think a carrier with a much higher body could solve both problems. I was thinking about trying out the boba, since I've heard its taller. Then I read a review saying its only about 2 inches higher? That doesn't seem like enough. Is there any carrier out there with an extra tall body? Part of the height is "wasted" by big cloth covered booties too :) A butt gusset would be cool.. never seen a carrier like that though. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 9 Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A kinderpack or a Babyhawk OhSnap will have a taller body.  I don't care for shorter bodied carriers as my kids like to lean, and it's just not comfortable for either of us.

My Oh Snap is fantastic in many ways- and I really like the adjustability of the waist/hip belt. It's pretty easy to get one of these. 

The kinderpack (I use a toddler size for both my 2 and 3 year olds, though a PS would work better for the 3yo going forward) has room built in for the butt/diaper that helps to keep the carrier body nice and high.  It also has great knee to knee support. These are easier to get than they used to be, but are pretty expensive. 

I can't speak to the Boba, as I haven't tried one out,  but  a lot of people do seem happy with it. 

#3 of 9 Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 PM

We have a Boba and a tallish 2.5 year old, and it comes up to her upper back, like maybe an inch or two below her neck.  She was tall enough to back dive out of the Ergo over a year ago, but the Boba holds her in!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 9 Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I'd also say OhSnap.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#5 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM

We have had good luck with the Boba.  I tend to use a wrap carrier rucksack style (Didymos), but my husband LOVES the Boba.  We are both tall and it fits us well, as well has plenty of support for our tall 2 year old.  It fits well up under his armpits, he can't self eject, and there is still enough room that he can tuck in and sleep:)

#6 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 AM

I mostly use woven wraps anymore, but I tried a Boba.  I wasn't a fan.  The hard buckles on the shoulder straps dug into my arms (though I haven't heard of many people complaining of this.)  It's also possible that the problem has been fixed with the 2G or 3G versions.  I had a Classic.  And my 2yo just used the foot rests to stand up, so they wound up being worse than useless.  They come off though.  I traded it for a used OhSnap, which I find much more comfortable.

What's your build?  If you're petite, I'd probably look more at the Boba.  Otherwise, the OhSnap might work better.  I've heard great things about Kanga's and Kinderpack's toddler carriers too.

#7 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 AM

I third (fourth, fifth?) a taller bodied carrier. Is there a shop nearby you where you can go in and try them on yourself? Each carrier fits everyone differently...

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#8 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM

I have the Ergo Sport. I'm not sure how it compares to the regular Ergo, but it seems to hold in my 3 ft, cloth diapered 2-year-old. I haven't gotten the feeling that he'd fall out when he leans back. It could just be me though. My husband has also worn him and hasn't had a problem.

I've heard great things about the Boba, but have not tried one myself.

#9 of 9 Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

I've been doing some research on the same, and I am either going to get a Kinderpack Preschool size or a Kanga XTP. I'm leaning toward the KP because I think I prefer their waistband. But I have not made a decision. 

I just checked the Oh Snap! and it only goes up to 45lbs which is a dealbreaker for me. DD1 and DD2 sometimes need/want to be worn in a back carry, and they both are over 40lbs at this point.

Good luck choosing!  

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby Carrier , Babyhawk , Babyhawk Oh Snap Baby Carrier , Boba Carrier , Boba Classic Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page