Is DS old enough for a hip or back carry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 13 week old son that I'm trying to wear but so far he prefers to worn by hubby cuz he just want to nurse when I wear him.  I have an Ergo, a seven sling, a moby, and a homemade gauze wrap (6 yards).  The Ergo is the worst for his rooting as he's right above my breasts so he can smell me but can;t reach to nurse so that carrier has become dad's.  I've used the moby and the gauze wrap with him but I the moby is freaking hot so maybe it will be better in the winter.  Both are kind of a pain for travel because of all the fabric.  I hated the seven sling at first but the other day I tried putting him in a hip carry the other day and he was actually cool with it for a while.  Problem is, because it isn't adjustable I just don't feel super secure so I think he feels that and doesn't feel secure either.  I ordered a rockin' baby ring sling so that I can adjust it and hopefully feel more secure.  Plus I think I'll be able to nurse him in the sling without having to re-wrap 6 yards of fabric if needed. 

My question is, is he to young to safely use the hip carry or even the back carry with any of these carriers?  He's about 15-16 lbs and 26 inches long and has good head control (he can sit up assisted for quite a while).  I think he'd really like being worn by me if I could find a carry that doesn't have his face right in my chest. 

I know it sounds like I have a ton of carriers but I really want to wear him and we just haven't found our perfect one yet!  What about a Mei Tai... :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 PM

with the gauze wrap, you could do a hip carry or back carry.  i have never used an ergo so i can't comment on that.  the sling would be fine for hip carries; some people do back carries with them but i never have.  the moby wouldn't be good for a back carry since it's stretchy and if babe were to arch, he could flip out. 

i started carrying dd2 on my back around 3 months old in a mei tai; dd3 started on my back around 1 week old in a woven wrap.  it's all dependent on your comfort level! 

check out www.thebabywearer.com for tons of info and tutorials, etc for all kinds of carriers.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I think I'll try a back carry when Dh comes home so he can spot me :)

Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM

If baby is holding his head up well and independantly then you a hip or back carry in the a gauze, ring sling or other woven wrap would be ok. A Stretch knit can be worn in a hip carry not back carries. Ergo is IMO to wide a seat for baby to be worn in without theinfant insert and insert only for front carries only,  so Ergo for back carries only when baby is sitting independantly.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

I think a mei tai is a great way to start doing back carries because they are so easy to get on and off. It took me a little longer to feel comfortable with doing a wrap back carry because I was slower wrapping her than tying a mei tai. But once I felt good about having her on my back doing the mei tai, I felt good about having her there while I was messing around and doing different carries with a wrap!
I also highly recommend thebabywearer.com

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I got DS into a back carry on my ERgo!  He was pretty happy in it.  Now maybe I'll try aback carry with the gauze wrap.

Thanks Mamas!

User Tag List