Ring Sling- correct use to calm Sir fussy butt the 1st? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just bought Sir fussy butt a ring sling/ mayan type sling.

He is 2 months old, and has been carried in a moby wrap since almost birth (and now sometimes dislikes being so very wrapped up, he likes stretching his legs, having his head up and looking around, more like an older baby).

He has to be carried 24/7 and needs to be entertained at the same time, otherwise he gets bored of the positions he is being held in or things he sees. He also only sleeps when held during the day (at night he sleeps fine next to me)

That is why I thought offering him an alternative to the wrap would be good. smile.gif

Long story short, I got my sling - here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MILKYBABY50?section_id=8153550

And I seem to be unable to get it quite right, sometimes he tends to lean to the side too much when I want him straight up, or he stretches his legs or we can't get them into the froggy position comfortably and he starts disliking the sling.

It is also difficult for me to adjust the tightness once he is in, I pull and pull and no chance. I even watched videos that explain how to tighten it (not to just pull straight down) but it did not help.

Also, this one has very nice pockets on the inside, but when I wrap it they end up on the outside, so the maker said to twist it...twist where? Anyone know?

It looks twisted here before the rings: http://www.etsy.com/listing/74971094/baby-ring-sling-toddler-carrier-wrap

I know he is quite young but I also want to try carrying him with his legs out sitting on the sling, since that is how he likes to be held mostly... of course I will still hold him, I want to use it rather to take some of his weight away than to actually have the sling support him alone. I'm unsure about how the fabric has to support his butt though, I still want it to be as secure as possible even though I hold him and support his head.

Any advice on mastering wearing a ring sling  and making my little boy happy being worn in one is very much appreciated!

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 AM

It's taken me a while to get the hang of it, but now I LOVE my ring sling. DS is 2 months old but is such a big baby that he didn't seem comfortable with froggy legs. I wear him tummy to tummy with his legs sticking out. It's fine to have their legs out, as long as they are sitting in a "deep squat." This didn't make sense to me until I saw it in a video. These videos really helped me out a lot. (BTW- I have a Maya Wrap, but I think it's the same idea for all ring slings).

As for adjusting, I've found it much easier to get the sling almost all positioned correctly before I even put him in, and only tighten it once he's inside. Obviously this isn't always an option (like if we are in a store), but it's helpful. And as for the tightening and getting knotted up, I still have problems with this. The material on my sling is a canvasy-cotton and is really heavy, so I'm putting it in the wash a lot to help loosen it up. 

Another tip I got is to try out a new position when your baby is in a happy mood. This may be obvious to most people, but it wasn't for me! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Hmm, I have no idea what twist they're talking about.  You should definitely NOT twist the fabric of a ring sling .  If you twist it, it will make it really hard to tighten.  And for sure, you can carry him with his legs out.  Legs out is actually recommended now from birth, because it's better for babies' hips than froggy legs.  I really like this video for using a ring sling with a little baby.  Can you maybe take a picture?  It's a lot easier to help troubleshoot with a picture.  smile.gif

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I took these 2 pictures, I understand in one the shoulder part was really bad, and I still have problems getting it comfortable.

Today I had him in it with his legs out and it seemed like he was falling to the side, like the sling was higher near the rings and also cutting into his legs a bit so I had to take him out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PcUNX-kAzQluSMNtG0apToRoy9wb9YYD7ONbPwHjbBM?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_buAcD4j6wItCyJyB_c5coRoy9wb9YYD7ONbPwHjbBM?feat=directlink

It does seem odd she said to twist it, the fabric also seems quite long...

I was not able to find the babywearing forum but I might repost it..:/

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 AM

What a cutie you have! 

OK, so I'm a total novice to babywearing, so hopefully some of the other ladies can give you more advice on how to adjust it better. I can just say that for me, I just watched a ton of videos and practiced a lot and eventually I just got the hang of it (sorta). 

As for 'twisting' the fabric, maybe she means that after you put him in the sling, you can tie the extra fabric in a knot around the rings. This makes the tail shorter and also puts some padding on the rings. Mine has a really long tail too, but I prefer to take it around my back and tuck it into the other side. 

Also, I think the moderators automatically moved your post to babywearing, but here's the link for the future (it's in the Natural Family Living section). 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 AM

I found it challenging to use a ring sling in the beginning also but once I got it, it was great, especially for quick in and out trips. The only time I ever twisted it was by mistake and it made it impossible for me to adjust so I don't know about that part of it.
When I put the sling on, I get it adjusted as close as I can to where I think it will work for her. Then, I slide it around so that the rings are higher up on my shoulder than where they will end up,. I put her in and have her butt way down in the pocket with her legs out like she is sitting in a chair but with her butt farther down, then I tighten one side at a time. Holding her head, I usually do the bottom first and make it snug and comfortable. Then I grab the top edge of the fabric and pull it through until it gives support to her back and gets her snug against me. You can slide the fabric up a bit to give head support and then you can let go, no hands needed for him to be safely held and supported!
The babywearing website is

www.thebabywearer.com

There are lots of very experienced babywearers on there and a whole section just for slings!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#7 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Both Zolowear and Sakura Bloom have nice videos on learning to use a ring sling.

http://zolowear.com/Wearing.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sakurabloombabysling

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page