How do you dress your little ones in the cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Curious as to what your babies wear when they're out and about, as I'm still trying to figure out how to dress my DD. It's been very cold and wet here lately, and it's difficult to determine how to dress her because it can get very hot when she's in the wrap. Right now I have her in either a footed sleep suit or a long sleeved onesie and tights. Sometimes I'll try to put on a hat although it usually doesn't stay on! Not sure what I'll do when it starts to get really, really cold though.

How do you bundle your LOs up in the winter when you're wearing them outside?

#2 of 5 Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

When DD was of babywearing age we loved Baby Legs.  Then I could keep her pants down, and her little legs covered, or just give her a second layer for exposed legs.  My DD never liked footed things, she got too hot too fast.  Beyond that we usually picked a thinner fleece coat/jacket  and a good hat.  I also made her a toddler scarf and she wore those while in the wrap carrier.  I carried a blanket or a thicker jacket for when she was out of the carrier.

I desperately wanted to make this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-babywearer but never got around to buying the yarn. LOL  THey do sell some poncho type coats that cover you and the baby, which might be an option to explore as well!

I miss babywearing. How old is your dd?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Well, it does depend on how cold it is outside.  I try not to put too many layers on DS, because he gets plenty of body heat from me.  Between the warmth from me, and the extra layers from the carrier, on most days that is enough.  On colder days, or windy days, I add my monkey pocket over him.  When he was very little, I would just wear DH's jacket over both of us, but now the pocket is the better option for us.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#4 of 5 Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

DD is 3 months. Those ponchos are just so awesome, I've really been kicking myself for not learning how to knit properly while pregnant and this is just the icing on the cake. LOL.

We live in England so while the temperature doesn't drop too much, the constant rain and dampness can really seep into you and make it really miserable to be outdoors. We're also getting a puppy in January so frequent walks are going to be inevitable. I still haven't really figured out how to babywear in the rain, I'm a mess with baby + umbrella!

#5 of 5 Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 PM

My DS is getting a bit big to be worn all the time, but I absolutely loved my Peekaru vest when he was smaller. It's made of stretchy fleece and fits over any soft-structured carrier. I never had to worry about bundling up DS, other than the normal winter long sleeves and pants. They also make a coat made out of softshell material.

www.togetherbe.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page