Is there a structured carrier with the same great back feel as the Moby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a nanny, I carried a baby (not constantly, but on outings) in a structured carrier that didn't do much to support my back.  I don't remember the brand, but I remember the mother referring to it as "knockoff Baby Bjorn," meaning that it meant to emulate that brand.

Later, for a few hours one day, I carried another baby in a Moby wrap.  I loved it.  (Moby is a big, slightly stretchy, piece of fabric that you have to wrap, yourself;  I'm sure other brands are just as good since it is such a simple idea.)  However, the mother actually got me and the baby into the wrap, ourselves;  all I had to do was get the baby out, later.  Wearing it felt amazing, but I didn't think I would want to have to recreate that structure every day, myself.

Now, I'm pregnant, and there are seemingly dozens (if not hundreds) of different wraps available.  Every mother seems to prefer a different one.  Can you tell me which structured carriers/wraps feel the most like one that has been expertly custom wrapped, as one does with a Moby?

#2 of 13 Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 PM

I love my didy waves wrap!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 PM

If you like the feel of a wrap but want a more structured carrier, I'd suggest checking out a Mei Tai. It's basically a rectangle with 2 straps that tie around your waist and 2 straps that wrap around your shoulders and back around the baby's bum then tie in the back. It feels similar to a wrap but they're much easier to put on quickly, imo. Most brands can be worn with a newborn-35lbs. I have a FreeHand Mei tai and I absolutely love it. My DS is almost 4 but he still goes in it for quick trips to pick up DD from school when he wants to nap. Plus they have different prints that are stinkin cute!

#4 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I have seen mei tais and been intrigued.  They appear to be a happy medium between structure and lack of structure, and I'm glad to hear that that's how they feel, too.  I would only be wearing the baby until s/he is big enough to walk.

#5 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

The Beco Gemini has shoulder straps which cross over on your back when you do a front carry. It's the most comfortable structured carrier I've tried (although I haven't tried a Mei Tai).

If you did want to use a Moby though, I think you'd find it pretty easy after you'd done it a few times. They're very easy to use. Although it wouldn't last until your babe was walking so, if you only want one carrier, a structured one is probably better.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM

The Moby is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  Before baby arrives, stand in front of the computer with a YouTube video and a stuffed animal, and try it a few times.  It's not that difficult.  And you get quicker the more you practice. 

I do not find a MT to be anywhere near as supportive as the Moby though.  I like my MT, but it doesn't spread the load over my back like the Moby does.  Maybe if you found one with super wide straps so it hugs your shoulders/back like the Moby.  I also don't care for the MT for a NB, it doesn't feel nearly as secure as the Moby to me. 

But for the early days, a wrap really is amazing. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM

I have 2 mie ties and I don't like them at all. I have an ergo I like but I didn't use it for the baby stage. I use my didy wrap all the time and always have but there is a learning curve! If I could only have one thing is would be a good woven wrap b/c it is the most versatile.

My second choice would be the Ergo although now that I am pregnant I can't wear it. DD is 2 now and has been walking since around 9 m/o but still loves to be worn.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.  Sosurreal09, do you have a link to the company that makes Didy wraps?  I'm having trouble finding it, and I'd like to see a picture and learn more.

#9 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

I have a moby wrap that I couldnt have lived without. Its super easy once you do it a few times. I love my boba for bigger kids, and boba makes a wrap now too. I really dislike mai tais because my stomach isnt flat and I hate how they cut into my belly and make me feel super fat.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Thanks, guys.  Sosurreal09, do you have a link to the company that makes Didy wraps?  I'm having trouble finding it, and I'd like to see a picture and learn more.

Oh sorry it's a nickname! It's didymos...http://didymos.com/  You can get them on amazon too (usually for less if it's the right color etc) http://www.amazon.com/Didymos-Baby-Carrier-Waves-Aqua/dp/B000YEURGY/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1320243164&sr=1-3 (I would wait for this one, seriously!)

I found the waves to be the softest airiest weave, personally.

You can also try http://thebabywearer.com/ for a used one (but I doubt you will get a better price than the one I linked from amazon)

Def get a size 6 or 7 so you have enough fabric for all carries. I have a 6 and use it fine and am short but wide LOL

They are expensive but it's the only carrier you will ever need and you can give it to your LO when they have kids b/c it's just that high quality.

Good Luck!

#11 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  That looks pretty unstructured, much like a Moby.  Would you say there are significant differences between the two?  Is it fabric quality, size, or...?

#12 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM

The main difference is that a Didy is a woven fabric, so it has no stretch to it.  Which makes it more versatile and longer lasting.  A Moby, because of the stretch can only be used until the babe is a certain weight, and cannot be used in back carries.  Other than that, they're the same general concept. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#13 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Yes the fabric is much stronger and you can wear the baby on your front, back, hips etc with the same support (if not more) as the Moby. B/C it is a wrap it is very versatile and you have the most options with a wrap if you only choose one carrier. It has a special weave that fuly supports the weight of the child and is specific for BWing.

If you really want a SSC, as I said previously I would get an Ergo (but I never used it in the baby stage, I got it when DD was a toddler).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page