When is forward facing ok? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO is 11 weeks old, and we are really enjoying my different carriers.  I have a ring sling, Moby and Ergo and we use the tummy to tummy carries on them all.  Recently I just got a mei tie and am super excited to try some new carries, like the high back carry or forward facing.

My question is about forward facing carry.  I understand that the Infantino-type carriers are not good for baby's body, since they put so much weight on baby's crotch. But what about other types of carriers that give more support for the bottom, like the mei tie? DS loves to be held facing out when he's in my arms, so I assume that he'd like it in the mei tie as well, but I don't know if this is bad for his back/hips.

Any thoughts, articles, advice? Thanks!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 AM

Hi Tina,

Facing out is never recommended by certified babywearing educators as it is an unnatural position for the baby and actually forces their back to curve against its natural curvature.  There are no carriers (despite what others may argue) that will support a baby in the optimal spread-squat position facing out.  Your baby's back is meant to curve out at this stage and that position should be supported.  Facing out invariably has the legs dangling which forces the head of the femur to push on the upper/outer edge of the hip socket creating a shallower socket (and less future stability), causes the pelvis to tilt forward and the lower back to curve in/hollow out.  In addition, research has shown that the stimulus coming at an infant facing out is not the "good" kind of stimulation that we're hoping for when we think of them interacting with the world.  There is nothing between the baby's face and all of the incoming stimuli and no way for the baby to turn away and turn it all off. 

Carrying your baby in arms, facing out is a completely different issue as you are constantly shifting and adjusting his position to maintain good support and are able to turn him around with a moment's notice when he's no longer happy. 

If he's at the stage where he's now interested in having some interaction, more than a chest to chest carry will allow, moving to a hip or back carry would be the next recommended options.  Ideally you'll want to wait on these positions until he's sitting unassisted (when his thorasic vertebrae straighten and he has control of his upper body) but you'll need to judge that timing as his mama.

HTH,

Tanja ~ SAH/WAHM femalesling.GIFbabywearing teaching,familybed1.gifco-sleeping, homeschool.gif homeschooling, food sensitivity detective mama to two great little people who are not so little any more and owner of the Babywearing Institute Northwest ~ Spreading Babywearing Love & Learning

#3 of 3 Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Thanks for the feedback. And I'm glad I'm not hurting him while I carry him facing out in my arms... sometimes it's the only thing that keeps him from crying.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page