Boba Giveaway- 3 Parents Will Win! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

with four kids it is great to wear one of them. it is one less to worry about their whereabouts. jennifer

#152 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Before I became a mother, I spent several years living in East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania).  I always saw mothers with their babies and toddlers tied to their backs with a simple piece of cloth.  These babies always looked very content and often fell asleep on their mama's back.  I don't think I ever saw a baby crying who was being carried like this.  Babywearing just made so much instinctual sense to me - it seems obvious that babies would be happiest nice and close to the person who makes them feel safest and most secure.  It also made so much practical sense - after seeing so many mothers in the US navigating grocery stores, malls, roads, and sidewalks with cumbersome strollers, it seemed so much easier and more convenient to just have the baby strapped on and have both hands free.  I often commented that when I had my own kids I was definitely planning to tie them to my back even if people back home thought it was strange.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was excited to learn that babywearing was not too unusual in the US and lots of mamas carried their babies just like the mamas I had seen in East Africa.  Once I began babywearing with my own daughter, I discovered even more benefits than convenience and a content baby.  My mei tei was a lifesaver when I really had to get dinner ready and my daughter just had to be held.  It was easy to nurse discreetly in meetings, church, and in other public places with my baby curled up in her sling.  Keeping my daughter warm in the winter was much easier when she was snuggled next to my body rather than under layers of blankets in a car seat or stroller.  And most importantly, it created innumerable opportunities for closeness and bonding with my sweet baby girl.  I am now pregnant with my second child and am so much looking forward to those moments of connection and bonding with my baby content in his carrier close to his mama.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#153 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM

I have a very active 32 month old daughter who needs alot of my attention and a newborn daughter as well.  Babywearing just seems to be the best thing for me so that I can give each child the same amount of attention from myself and my husband ! :)

#154 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM

When I first found out I was pregnant, six years ago I couldn't wait to babywear. I worked at Whole Foods and saw all the cute mamas strolling around with their babies snuggled against their chests and daydreamed about all the places me and my new baby would go. Then I found out I was having twins! I did have a couple of mei tai carriers that I used for walks when my husband was home but anytime I wanted to take both babies out I had to drag around a giant stroller. Needless to say I didn't get to fulfill my babywearing fantasies.

I just gave birth to my third boy six weeks ago. I have been using the mei tai that I used with my boys because I can't afford a fancy new carrier. I haven't gone out too much but I would love love love to win one of these carriers (the 3.0 looks amazing!) to go places with my little man. :)

#155 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM

I learned about babywearing through moms at my local La Leche meeting. My son refused to latch for his first week and I was exhausted from pumping and spoon feeding him and all of my efforts to nurse him at the breast had failed. He would get too wound up and I'd get stressed and flustered. We saw an LC who said that my son was a "classic bottle-fed baby." I was almost ready to give up. The women at LLL suggested that I put him in a wrap carrier and carry him skin to skin for a few days. It was that comfort and closeness that enabled us to finally become a breastfeeding team. He latched a few days later and is still nursing today, at almost 2 and a half. :)

#156 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM

I had always thought I would try babywearing, but after my son's unexpected complications at birth, it became a necessity.

My sweet son was born 9 weeks early.  He spent 7 weeks in the NICU's of two different hospitals.  During that time he endured many scary and painful procedures, including a blood transfusion, a spinal tap, IV antibiotics, a naso-gastric tube, a catheter, weeks of breathing assistance, and countless heel pricks.  Because of his fragility and the limitations of the time we were able to spend by his side at the hospital, he did not have the close comfort of his mother's touch that he deserved to have 24 hours a day during this scary time.

At the time of his discharge, he was still having occasional bouts of apnea, during which he would stop breathing for an indefinite amount of time.  He was worn almost every minute of the day after his discharge from the hospital.  When his breathing became irregular or stopped altogether, I was always instantly aware of the problem and could help him without delay.  In fact, our babywearing relationship helped my body be so in tune with his that I could sense an apnea episode coming before it actually happened!  I am convinced that babywearing saved my son's life more than once.

I also believe that babywearing helped heal his body and spirit of the traumas he faced during his first weeks of life in the NICU.  The nine weeks of constant comfort and closeness in my womb that he should have had were replaced by nearly two months of separation, pain, and frightening sounds.  Babywearing helped recreate the peaceful, calm environment he deserved and was robbed of.  Snuggled close to his mother or father's hearts helped my son to understand that the world could be a loving, safe place.  It helped him settle his body, reduce his stress, and focus all of his energy on growing and thriving instead.

Today my son is three and a half and still asks to ride on our backs in the Ergo.  He is a confident, happy, healthy, loving child.  There is no doubt in my mind that babywearing played a significant role in this outcome.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#157 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM

As a nursing student, I have seen so many NICU babies improve with kangaroo care. I have seen other babies deteriorate when they were not able to be close to their mother's or father's heart. There have been numerous research studies, all with proven benefits of skin to skin and being closely held. We know that societies who carry babies chest to chest have a decreased incidence of hip displasia. But even without all the science, we as mothers know what is best. Babies have been carried in slings, wraps, and in our arms since Adam and Eve. The more we hold our babies, the stronger our bond. Babies need the smell of their mother's and father's to feel secure. They need to snuggle into our chests and hear our hearts, our breath. A plastic seat with synthetic fabrics and cold straps might hold our baby securely, but can they sense when a child becomes soiled? Will the stroller tell you if your baby is fevered? With a baby so far away, how will you pick up on their early hunger cues? How fast can you protect them from coughing strangers? Give me a carrier, a wrap, a sling, and I will keep my baby safe, warm, dry, fed, healthy and comfortable.

#158 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Babywearing was a natural choice for me. I have two girls 14 months apart. I carried my first in a carrier and when the second came along the carrier was my only option if I wanted to do anything or go anywhere. We chose not to get an infant car seat and went with the carrier out of the car instead. I think it helped bonding, discreet nursing, and playtime with my older child. Wouldn't have done it any other way. I'd love to win a new carrier because my kids are still little and mine has gotten "lots of love" and has seen better days :)

#159 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Quite simply, I wanted my daughter to learn, from the very beginning that I will be there for her--ready to comfort her, nurse her, or hug her. Building  trust from the beginning can only help make her teenage years go more smoothly! ;)

#160 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM

We first discussed babywearing in our Bradley birth classes & it just made sense.   Since then I have learned that babywearing allows me to do SO much that "stroller moms" are hindered at. Most important among these things are keeping both my 2 yr old & 2 month old safe and happy at the same time!

#161 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM

I decided to become a baby-wearing parent because why wouldn't you? After my baby girl was born, I knew I wanted to keep her close to me most of the time but I also knew that I couldn't just hold her in my arms all the time. Not just cause my arms would hurt, which I'm sure they would have, but cause I would need my hands for basic every-day things like cooking, eating, going to the bathroom (ever tried to pull up your pants holding a baby? hard stuff. But with a wrap? no problemo!) and gesticulating when I talk (I tend to do that). Also, I'm a single mom, so 90% of her first 8 months of life we were practically alone with each other and I needed to cook, clean and shop for ourselves. Then after baby-wearing her for a while I realized that she would calm down immediately after putting her in the carrier and that no matter how grueling the situation was (airplane traveling, standing in line at the bank or supermarket), if she was hanging on to me, she could deal with anything. Plus be in a good mood. Sometimes she also even breastfeeds while on the sling when we are shopping or walking which took some getting over my own personal inhibitions but I'm so very glad that I did. And so I've been carrying her for a year now and I plan to keep doing it till I can't anymore. A Boba would be a fantastic addition to my Moby!

#162 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always imagined myself using some kind of sling for carrying a baby. So when I saw slings advertised while I was pregnant, it was a no-brainer (it'd been in my heart all along).

#163 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 PM

I became a babywearer in 2006 when my first son was born. He was born with a birth defect (that we didn't know about until his birth) that prevented him from being able to breastfeed greensad.gif
Completely devastated that I could not feed my child the way nature intended, I was determined to find another way to bond so closely to him, as breastfeeding would have provided..
Born at 4lbs, I never wanted to set my fragile little boy down so we spent a lot of time in front of the computer. One day when he was a couple weeks old I found myself searching the baby carriers section of eBay. I bid on (and won!!) an old school Maya ring sling! It was old and faded and not so pretty but it was heaven the minute I tucked my little peanut inside next to my heart!! <3
The rest is history joy.gif
#164 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Babywearing helps keep my hand free so I can keep 3 month old happy and also play with my three year old at the same time :)

#165 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Before my daughter was born, I learned the value of babywearing.  After she was born, she nursed all of the time due to an issue with tongue-tie.  Babywearing was my way of saying that I loved her and I wanted to be with her.  She was so pleased to be "worn."

#166 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Baby wearing for me established a sense of peace that my child could be close to where he and she came from (the womb).  It brought a sense of certainty to me that my babies were safe and secure (physically and emotionally).  I also loved knowing that I could hold them, feel them, smell them.  I knew that one day would come that they would grow out of baby wearing, but because of it, today I have children who still want me close as much as possible. I miss it so much!  But trying again and cannot wait for those moments again.  

#167 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM

What's not to love? We are expecting baby #5 in April orngbiggrin.gif... and while all our babies have been worn, my preferences have changed over the years. Still at the end of the day the most important thing is the closeness and bonding and even healing properties. Baby #4 was having trouble regulating temp and that closeness fixed it every time. Still makes her feel better when she's sick. Would love a new wrap for the new babe smile.gifjoy.gif
#168 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 PM

The second I laid eyes on my first daughter I knew why those crazy baby-wearing, breastfeeding co-sleeping mamas do what they do!  I immediately knew that I wanted to keep my baby connected to me as much as possible and give her the best start that I could.  At that moment I became a crazy baby-wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping mama  :)   I would say it was the best decision I ever made, but it wasn't a "decision"....it just came natural.  Nothing is better than having your baby close to your heart for as long as you possibly can, and having a Boba makes that possible. 

#169 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Picking beans, digging carrots, bunching kale, and filling CSA boxes are all in a days work.  Wearing my baby helps me mother while I work.  It makes for a happy momma, and an even happier baby, who gets giddy when I pop a ripe, juicy raspberry in her mouth.  Babywearing is natural and all part of life on the farm.

#170 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM

People often comment on what a contented baby my son is when we are out in public and they are also surprised that he enjoys being worn in a carrier for hours. He is now 11 months and I am convinced that his easy-going personality is due in large part to being worn nearly every day for the first six months of his life. My son had a rough start in life and spent some time in the NICU due to a traumatic delivery followed by seizures. I wasn't able to hold him until he was 4 days old. The skin-to-skin contact was so important to me after we brought him home and was instrumental in our healing process as a family. My go-to gift for expecting parents is a baby carrier. I deal with chronic back pain as well and I have found that the right carrier along with wearing it correctly can actually help with the back pain. Plus, I love it that I can be hands free while taking a walk, cooking, cleaning, mingling... whatever. 

#171 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM

I have made the recent choice to become a babywearing parent (better later than never, right?!).  I have a 2 year old who I wore occasionally in a stretchy wrap, but now I have a 2 month old as well and recently purchased my first ring sling.  Life is blessed, but much more difficult with two.  Babywearing allows me to get things done around the house and run errands without feeling like I'm losing precious time bonding with my baby.  I love the feeling of Parker snuggling close to me, and he is happiest when he's being worn.  But beyond convenience, I've educated myself on all the many benefits that babywearing can provide-- happy and calm babies, increased cognitive development, and even a linguistic edge since they're interacted with more at eye-level instead of stuck down in a stroller or carseat all the time.  Even though I only have two carriers, I'm hoping to invest in more in the future because this is truly a lifestyle I want to pursue for myself and become an advocate for.

#172 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM

Several years ago (now that I think of it, it was on the day my husband proposed!!!), I saw a mother using a wrap for her baby. I had never seen any such, and was quite fascinated. When it came time for my own, I got a Bjorn as a gift. Moved to a Beco afterwards because my tendonitis wouldn't let me use wraps without extreme discomfort. I found out about Boba from a friend. And had a bad case of carrier envy. Would love to win a Boba!

But what made me keep going was the fact that we live in such a cold place, and along with my Kinder Coat, could take my little one out in the coldest temperature that I would dare to venture out in. It is a no-brainer win-win really. DD gets to be close to me. I know that she is warm. I get to step out to have some mommy-baby adventures. What more could I ask of a system? Best of all? No wrestling baby into N layers before stepping out. Baby in carrier? Check! Wear own jacket (babywearing one, or one large enough to accomodate both mom and baby), and go. What's not to love??!!

Even more, what made it all worth it a thousand times more? I was on a bus to a mom and baby class. I was sitting, gazing at my then 8-9 month old's face, and saw the satisfaction in her eyes, while gazing back at me. No way can a stroller match this experience!

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#173 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM

I used it with my first because child I liked being close to her and because It allowed me to be hands free. It is a must when you have two little ones! I can not imagine not having a carrier now. I can be close to my second child (7months) but still free to be there for my first child (now 2 and half). <3

#174 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM

After my baby was born with a congenital heart defect and spent the first three weeks of her life in the hospital, I decided to baby-wear as much as possible to strengthen our bonding once she was out of the hospital.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#175 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM

I wanted to babywear from day 1. I knew how iportant it was for the baby to be close to Mom. Babywearing lets me keep my baby on me while I do other tasks.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#176 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM

We were young parents. Really young. And after a pretty typical first pregnancy and birth, we met with a Lactation Consultant for a free breastfeeding support group she offered. We learned so much in that first day! We walked out with a Moby Wrap we'd purchased from her, and did it all wrong (even though she patiently showed us how- twice!), but we got the hang of it, and haven't looked back since. Later several friends pooled their money and gifted me with an Ergo (which I had been drooling over for months) and I was thrilled! It was such a touching gift. Fast forward 5 years and here I am, an IBCLC inspired by that initial experience, and an avid babywearing mom of two (Well, I usually only wear the 2 year old!), and a huge supporter of babywearing. I could gush on, but for brevity's sake, I'll end here! We'd love to give the Boba a shot and let our beat up old Ergo have a laundry ("spa") day! 

#177 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM

I decided to be a babywearing momma years before I had children when I first learned about attachment parenting. It seemed wonderful to be able to hold my baby all the time. Once I finally had one of my own, that sealed the deal. I couldn't bear to put her down and walk away from her. It just felt right having her against my heart where she belonged.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#178 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

We started babywearing my 1st when we were going camping and trying to figure out what to do with our barely-crawling kiddo in the middle of the woods. I do it with my 2nd kid because I have a first kid who demands things and is on the go, and my 2nd needs to be right with me. When she was having reflux/sleep issues, I did it to gain some sanity because she'd sleep brief periods in the carrier.

#179 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM

we love babywearing. it means way more snuggles for everyone. a happier baby and life easier for us since i could be mobile and active while keeping baby safe and happy. with the arrival of baby 2, we need a new carrier :

#180 of 276 Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM

What made me decide to be a baby wearing parent?: What better way to stay heart to heart with a new little life! Plus it helps a mom maintain a sense of freedom in doing other things and being close to baby at the same time!

My babies were both great easy breezy babies, but that being said they were worn or nursing most of the first six months. I have tried and even made several carriers and they each had their place, but I would love to win a boba carrier!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page