Boba Giveaway- 3 Parents Will Win! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS was born a Preemie we spent many hours doing Kangaroo care at the hospital it seemed natural to continue that closeness while he grew and developed.  Baby wearing soothes when he is overwhelmed and allows to enjoy so many more things.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

I liked Boba on FB. I became a babywearing mama so that we could enjoy getting out of the house for more than two hours (between newborn naps). And, I just LOVE to wear my now-toddler son on my back now that he is too big for the front. I LOVE my Boba. It goes everywhere with me. I'd love to gift one to a friend who is expecting soon.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Babywearing always seemed like a great idea, and it turned into a necessity with my colicky son! While I was wearing him, he would easily fall asleep and be completely content. I love babywearing, even now that he's a toddler. It helps us reconnect since he is so active when he's not being worn.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM

I'm new to mothering, though my wife has been a member for years!

Both my wife and I were deep in the throes of graduate school when our son was born.  As long as he was cuddled close to one of us, he was a content little guy.  I spent many late nights at my computer, baby in the wrap, bouncing on the birth ball, writing my thesis.  When my wife and I had classes at the same time, we would take turns wearing him to class!  I don't know how either of us could have finished our degrees without our well-loved wraps and carriers.

I live in a part of the country where babywearing is not the norm, especially babywearing by fathers.  I certainly caught the attention of many students and faculty members in my department!  I hope that my son and I might have made enough of an impression on the students who saw us that they might think to try out babywearing when they begin their own families.  I now have a sweet daughter who also loves being worn.  We use the same wraps and bounce on the same ball, but, now that I've graduated, I can watch a movie with her snuggled close rather than work through yet another revision of my thesis!

I would like to use a Boba carrier with my daughter.  I think a solid color Boba could inspire some of the dads I know who seem turned off by the "complicated" wraps and slings I use with my kids (which they believe look too feminine for them... insert eye roll here...) to give babywearing a go.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM

I originally started BWing because I needed to be able to bond with my DS.  It seemed so counterintuitive to put him in a stroller.  Over time, he decided he didn't care much for it, and then he got too big and heavy for my carriers.  Now that he's outgrown the stroller (and most strollers) by weight, I'm looking at wearing him again because at 2 he's not ready to be doing the walking for himself.  But being pregnant, I can't make my old carriers work for my back, so I was actually looking into Bobas, since they were recommended both for a tall toddler and for a pregnant mama.  Seems I've come full circle here. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Almost 20 years ago I wore my first child in a hard framed pack on my back and LOVED it! She would fall asleep while I was doing household duties and a variety of other tasks. 15 years ago I learned about the ring sling and enjoyed having my sweet little so close to my heart and breast for easy breastfeeding. My hands were free for caring for my older one as well. 12 years ago I enjoyed wearing out 3rd child in ring slings as well. Having three children was much easier while wearing them! When we were expecting out 4th child 5 years ago, the baby wearing scene had exploded with tons of options!! We loved wearing a wrap with our wee little one because it felt so good to be so close constantly. Breastfeeding was easy too. I also loved the soft Mei Tie for long outings, while preferring the sling for quick trips ina nd out of the grocery store. The Mei Tie was a favorite for DH and DD's to help carry their little brother around too. We are expecting our 5th child in late winter 2012 and will be babywearing as well. It feels so right to be so close. 

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Why I wear My Baby: My Story

My story is a little different from average.  I am not a first time mom.  I didn't always know that it was right for me and my baby.  And, an illness, or injury (either me or my baby) didn't persuade me to want or need to baby wear.  In fact, I am a mom with experience!  I AM a mom of SIX.  I previously carried my babies in their heavy car seats, pushed a stroller and even used a double stroller religiously.  I didn't understand why anyone would spend as much money on a baby carrier as a stroller.   I thought that was absolutely crazy!  I did try a ring sling with my third child and could never "get it".  I HATED it, didn't understand why anyone would prefer wearing their baby to pushing him in a stroller.  With my fourth child, I purchased a baby carrier from a baby resale shop owner.  I trusted her opinion;  after all, she was only selling it because she had upgraded to a newer version.  However, it was VERY uncomfortable. (I later found out it is not highly recommended by many baby wearers.)  When my son was little, I could wear him comfortably but only for short periods of time.  As he grew, it became nearly unbearable to wear my son.  And, I only wore him facing out and only for special outings like going to the farm and never for long term at all.  So, I never had the joy or understanding of wearing a baby.  There was definitely no snuggling involved!

Before my sixth child was born, my sister lent me a carrier she had used with her preemie.  She said she really loved it and it was very comfortable.  I thought it was a strange carrier.  But, when my oldest son had a severe injury and my baby was only five weeks old, I decided to try my sister's carrier out at the hospital.  At the time, there was a lot of negative press about baby wearing due to baby's losing their lives in certain types of carriers.  At the hospital ER for my older son, I remember thinking, as I anxiously tied my newborn on for the first time, "I hope they don't turn me into CPS for wearing him."  I didn't really know what I was doing but my baby seemed to like it and relaxed in it which is exactly what we needed.  When I saw my sister next, I asked her to show me how to wear the sling again.  I found out it was called a mei tai and then did a lot of research.  I didn't like how she had made hers so I looked up numerous patterns and did a lot more of my own research.  I made my first mei tai with my grandmother's help.  I have since made revisions/improvements to my first carrier and have made numerous carriers, even matching for attending my college team's football game and even a wedding.  I believe they are my clothing and wore a flowery gauze wrap with my son nestled inside to my nephew's Bar Mitzvah.  :)

I fell in love with babywearing for so many reasons!!  My baby is SO content.  The benefits are so numerous!  He can go with me wherever I go!  He is safe and sound.  I can shop easily and he still is close and comfortable.  He sleeps when he needs to and nurses easily.  My baby can choose to talk to people or hide if he doesn't want to socialize or he doesn't like them as my 7 year old says. ;)  I have worn him so many places! 

Wearing him has enabled him to sleep peacefully through so many things!  I am an educator and have taught classes while he sleeps.  I have been a student and he was able to sleep or nurse through most of the class which was for two solid days!  He even slept while I ran a 5K while wearing him!  When he was just a few months old, I attended youth camp with him and he fell asleep while I was wearing him in a sling in the water!  He has slept through loud concerts intended for youth and screaming fans while attending a college football game. (I actually felt sorry for all the parents lugging their tired children around.)  I was even able to take him with me when I voted because I was wearing him.

He has been able to go on many adventures because I wore him in a carrier.  It has become a way of life for us.  My husband would often ask if I wanted him to pack the stroller and I always replied, "Of course not!  It takes up too much space! I'm going to be wearing him!"  And my kids ask me to please wear him when he gets fussy.  He has attended field trips, celebrations, funerals, weddings, classes, camp, swimming, concerts, church, craft fairs, exercise, the bathroom ;) and even a 5K and more.  It is good for all of us!

Another benefit is the relationship we have.  I I feel like I know my son better and our bond is stronger.  Our communication is better.  We understand each other in a way I never have communicated before.  We play games together that only we understand.  It doesn't matter if anyone is watching.  It's like we are the only ones around.  I know his cues.  I can feel his whole body go limp as he falls asleep.   Wearing him makes him affectionate too.  Socially he has benefited as well.  He watches how I relate with others and copies what he has seen.  He says,"Hi!" to nearly everyone he meets and is very friendly.  It is amazing how much he learns from observing how I relate with others.  Our closeness has given us things that I never thought he would gain just from wearing him.  Now that he is a toddler he sometimes fights me to get in the carrier, but riding in the cart lasts only minutes and he wants me to carry him again.  He relaxes as he gets near me and can hear my heart, my voice that he knows so well.  Shopping is much easier than I ever remember with my previous babies.

I have become a baby wearing advocate!  I believe there is a right carrier for each caregiver and his/her baby.  My biggest regret is that I did not enjoy wearing my five previous babies.  But, I am so thankful that I discovered the joy of wearing my baby this [sixth] time.  Life is much easier and filled with joy, love, and snuggles because I wear my child.  The whole family benefits. And, none of us will ever be the same! <3 joy.gif

Crossing the 5K Finish Line! Pictured with my 4 year old too!

2011-04-30_09.30.10.jpg

Attending his first College Football Game!

Aggie Game Day 026.JPG

Going to Vote: (Note the sticker that says, "I voted." )

Oct 2010 045.JPG

Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Babywearing saved my life- literally. After working towards, dreaming of, and planing for a natural/ low-intervention birth, my faith and trust in both my body and God was severely tested when I ended up w/ a very traumatic cesarean and PPD. I tried to smile; I tried to be grateful; I tried to love my son, but I was so weak and mentally clouded that I just felt alone, guilty, and ashamed... I mean, what mother should not have automatic feelings of joy and bonding over her new child? I wanted so badly to bond with him, but I just didn't know how... I felt like I had failed him.

One day, I opened up my carrier that I had received as a shower gift and tried it on. I put my DS in and it felt like we were one again- he was part of me. Slowly, the guilt I had been feeling over his birth and failed breastfeeding attempts begin to  peel away as I watched him peacefully sleep on my chest- finally some aspect of mothering felt natural. It was my first step towards truly bonding with him and working through the despair. From then on, I've been sold on babywearing and have worn both him and his brother, I have a third on he way in Jan., and would love to have something from the Boba family to help keep the tradition going. 

Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Honestly?  I babywear my 20 month so I can give him his "boo"  While I use my arms for other things.  :blush:

I decided 4 baby's ago that baby wearing just made sense since baby co-slept and was used to mommy's warmth and as she grew, I tried many different ways to carry her.  She was happy and I was able to love my baby and still participate in the older kid's activities. 

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM

I am a long standing member but I want to protect the privacy of the child that I am writing about so I started a new account love.gif

My first experience with baby/child wearing (and the one that truly brought me into the world of babywearing) was with a child who is not my own but I have known since he was born.  We were always friends.  His mom became very ill when he was 2.  Most of the time she could not pick him up due to her pain and weakness.  Her son longed for physical closeness.  One day at the beach I figured out that I could zip him into my jacket and go splash in the waves.  When I did this, he turned into a little ball of love and cuddles.  He was no longer struggling to feel that connection because he was connected.  He loved it so much and would ask to be zipped into my jacket whenever we were together.  But he was growing and the zipper on my jacket was not.  One day I decided to look up a carrier pattern and found a mei tai pattern.  It was easy to sew and looked simple enough to use.  I decided to surprise him.  He was old enough at this time to understand and he was thrilled.  He wanted to go for a walk right away.  He immediately snuggled in and fell asleep.  As his mom got sicker, I was spending more and more time caring for him.  I slept with him at his house and he would often wake up screaming with nightmares.  When he couldn't be soothed I would strap him on my back and walk him around the block, looking at the stars and the moon.  It usually only took one circle for him to be calm and relaxed.  As he got more verbal, he was able to tell me when he needed that physical connection and I would put him in the carrier and could feel him immediately relax.  After his mom died, his need for physical connection was very strong.  I would hold him when I could, and when I had to do something else, I would put him in the carrier.  We both got a great deal of comfort from the physical contact and closeness. 

He is getting bigger and bigger now, and still loved to be held... (and I understand that boba is great for bigger kids!!!) and I sill love to carry him.  There's no way that I could sum up the reasons that I babywear in a sentence because I don't know if there are even words that could describe some of the reasons.  I do it because it feel right, it makes us happy and because it is an expression of my love.  And that's why I became a babywearing mama.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM

My daughter loves to be held, and I love holding her.  The only way to keep from sitting her down everytime I need 2 hands in by using a carrier.  Plus, all the evidence points to carriers being a must for mommies and babies!!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Convenience and necessity (chasing around another toddler) :)

Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 PM

I am tired of seeing parents constantly carrying their babies in car seats & I was guilty of that with my 1st. Babies should be held more & it helps with that flat head, no hair in back look. This pack looks a lot more comfortable than ones I have seen & have had

Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM

I began babywearing with my 3rd child. I didn't do it from the beginning with him, and he wasn't used to it and didn't take to it well. He preferred his freedom. I began wearing my daughter from day 1. I used a wrap in the early baby days, and began used SSCs after that. She loves to be worn. On outings, she's always completely content. She doesn't cry, and she's able to nurse while being carried. I've found it to be a fulfilling experience for both of us. I know she feels safe and content being close to me. It also gives me great piece of mind. Many people come up to me, and ask me about my carrier. They are fascinated by babywearing. I tell them of the awesome benefits, and bonding experience it is. I'm proud to be a babywearing advocate. :)

I've knew I wanted to have my baby close to me since before my first was born. I wore him at three days old in a Snuggi because that is all I knew about. Then I saw a woman using a ring sling at a mall and went home and scoured the internet trying to find out what it was and how to make one. I wore my oldest in a ring sling until he was 3 and I was 5 months pregnant with #2. After my daughter was born I learned about soft structured carriers and used the ring sling and a Beco I had at the time with her. I still wear her and she is almost 3. Now I have #3 and I use wraps, soft structured carriers and ring slings alternately depending on what I am doing. I get so many comments about where did I get my carriers and how older generations wish they had something like that when they were raising babies. Every time I'm out someone asks me about my different carriers and I love to share babywearing.

Even before I was pregnant I thought babywearing was the way to go.  After having my daughter, I wanted to have her close.  For the first few months, she wouldn't sleep anywhere but in my arms or attached to me.  Babywearing made life a whole lot easier in those first few months.  She still (just over a year old) prefers being worn to the stroller.  Its also much handier to pop her in a carrier to go do errands.  And she loves it!

I wanted to be able to hold my children close, even when my hands were full!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM

I decided to be a baby wearing parent on a friends suggestion. My 8 month old son loves to be close and snuggle, so I was holding him all the time. My 2 year old was getting separation anxiety and acting out because of it. Wearing him gives him the snuggle time he needs and I also have hands free to be with my daughter. It really did change the atmosphere and attitude in our house! It makes me feel like I'm being a more productive parent and meeting both their needs.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM

I knew I wanted to babywear having been inspired by a baby wearing friend while I was pregnant. She gave be a homemade ring sling as a baby shower present. What I didn't know was how I was going to wear twins. I found that I could safely wear them together in a wrap carrier, then in slings or mei tais (or a combination of both!) on each side when they were bigger. Without wearing them, I never would have been able to leave the house. Everyone went on about how I "needed" a stroller and it was a "necessity" and when was I finally going to get one??? The fact was that good double strollers are expensive and I needed to save up for one, and also it would have been a pointless purchase at the time because it was winter! I can't push a stroller through the snow but I can walk in it and that's what I did. I love wearing them, even now that they are two. Most often I wear one child who isn't feeling well, or one on the front and one on the back when we are feeling silly or very cuddly. I get lots of looks when I wear them at the same time outside, and a few people even sympathetically ask if my stroller was stolen. I just smile and say, "No,' and walk on. Though I do also use a stroller with them on occasion, I love wearing them and having them close and I know they love it, too. I will wear and breastfeed my future children in a carrier and although I didn't NIP with the twins (they do everything together... EVERYTHING) I look forward to doing so with future singletons!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't know how I could live without babywearing! I am a homeschooling Mommy of 3 and my youngest is 15 months old with special needs. Without babywearing, my DD would not be able to go to many places that we go to. She can't handle being in a stroller and my arms would fall off if I had to rely only on them to carry around her 28lbs!! She will need to be carried for a long time due to her uniqueness and having a quick, easy and comfortable carrier is exactly what she and I need :-)

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM

I don't know how I could live without babywearing! I am a homeschooling Mommy of 3 and my youngest is 15 months old with special needs. Without babywearing, my DD would not be able to go to many places that we go to. She can't handle being in a stroller and my arms would fall off if I had to rely only on them to carry around her 28lbs!! She will need to be carried for a long time due to her uniqueness and having a quick, easy and comfortable carrier is exactly what she and I need :-)

I decided to wear my baby when I found out during my pregnancy all of the benefits, such as allowing baby to feel mama's warmth, remain close, allow him or her to see all the activities at eye-level, higher IQ, all while letting me have my hands free!  :)

From a logistical standpoint, I babywear because it allows me to be present and hands-free to attend to the needs of my active toddler while still nurturing and giving comfort to the baby; but when it comes right down to it, I'm in it for the snuggles!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM

I just wanted to be close to my son=) Would love to wear all my future babies in one of those adorable Bobas!!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM

We babywear because as a mother I've already carried my baby for 9 months, it wouldn't be fair to not continue carrying my baby after she is out of the womb.  :)

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM

My son is adopted and I felt this would help with our bonding.  I also like the idea of attachment parenting helping my son be more independent while continuing to nurture our bond with each other.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM

I was adopted as a baby.  My parents weren't aware of any tools for attachment parenting. I was raised with most everything I needed and more than enough love. I still believe that I could have really benefitted from spending a lot of time being in a carrier, especially in the earlier months.  Reading The Continuum Concept by, Jean Liedlof, inspired my desires for my own children.   

Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Love babywearing. Wish I had with my first, did with my 2nd til she decided she was too mobile, planning with this one coming anytime! :) Bonding was great. 

Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM

My little one comes to work with me every day and baby-wearing is the only way I can keep the sprout happy and get stuff done at the same time. No crying, just a happy little one. There's no better way to go about it.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM

I didn't realize I wanted to be a babywearing mama until I had my daughter in April. All of my plans and assumptions of how I would parent quickly changed.  That beautiful, new bassinet I bought stayed unused next to our bed and the overpriced stroller I drooled over while pregnant stayed in the box.  I simply never wanted to put my baby down. When I did, I couldn't bear it for more than a couple of minutes before I was running back in the room to hold her.  It soon dawned on me that I was designed to carry around my lovely baby for more than just the 9 months.  Now she is 7 months old and we rarely use our fancy stroller and always have a baby carrier on hand. Love babywearing! Love the Boba!

User Tag List