Toddler carrier - easiest poppability? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which carriers would have the most poppable (lol) for a toddler? I need something that's super quick and easy to get him into and out of. 
I don't necessarily need hands free, and I'm not worried about my back, as we don't usually have too far to go. I mostly want to stop lugging the stroller around, but want to be able to carry him easily without wearing out my arms. He doesn't hold on like ds1 did!
Our usual excursions are to and from school for my older son, so about 10 minutes walk each way. He *can* walk that far easily, but sometimes we are in a hurry.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 13 Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I haven't used every style carrier -- far from it -- but one of the reasons I like the Maya Wrap so much is the "poppability".  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM

We use either an ergo or boba for best poppability.  I can wear it in front hanging down and just scoop him up and fasten when I need to...and since he won't be up there long I just wear him in front.  I have a ring sling, but find adjusting him and it don't make for the best poppability...for us anyway!  Oh, he's 19 months...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would vote for the ergo too. I prefer back carries, and lately am finding that my mei tai is more comfortable with the 25+lbs on my back because I can get the straps exactly where they work for me, unlike the ergo where the straps can only lie in limited spots. BUT, popability-wise, the ergo wins. :) 

For greater things are yet to come...

#5 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Wow, poppability is the last way I would describe the Ergo from my experience.  It kind of blows my mind that anyone would say that they are poppable -- I think they're a total PIA. ;-)  It's so funny the different experiences we have, ha?  I can adjust a ring sling in seconds -- it literally takes me about 20 seconds to get my kid snug in the sling and we're off.  Additionally, I don't mind wearing the sling when the baby isn't in it so that saves a lot of time.  

I think a lot of the poppability must come down to what carrier you like the most.  If you love the Ergo, you wear it lots and get really quick at popping it on.  Same goes with the sling.  

It would be interesting to time carrier wearers in their favorite, most poppable carrier and see which ones are the easiest.  

swede likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Although I agree with identitycrisismama I liked the ergo best for toddler because ds was 42lbs when I stopped wearing him regularly so a two-shouldered back carry was the only option if it was more than a few minutes.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 13 Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM

I use the Ergo for when I don't use the stroller. I hate using a stroller on transit, so I usually bring the Ergo. Ds2 is walking 90% of the time, so I'm usually wearing the Ergo when it's empty, but when he wants up and I have to carry him for 10 minutes on my hip or piggy back, it usually wears me out FAST.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#8 of 13 Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah I guess I wouldn't call the Ergo 'easily poppable' but it's the most comfortable, and I don't use any other carrier.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#9 of 13 Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM

How heavy is he?

For quickest and easiest with a heavier toddler (past the point where a RS is comfortable), I love my Ombu.  But, at 40 pounds my guy has gotten past the point where it works for us because it does put all his weight on my shoulders/back.  Now I have to have something with a waist belt, so if I'm going to wear him I use a half-buckle tai, which isn't very quick or poppable at all. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I find ringslings very poppable but actually so is an ergo for me.  I wear it around my waist hanging down and then when I need to put the toddler in, lift them to my hip, slide them around and pull up the straps.  Only takes me a few seconds now. 

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#11 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 AM

I would say a buckle carrier (such as Ergo, Boba, as already mentioned...I prefer the new Boba...or Kinderpack, Dream Carrier, Kanga XT for an older/heavier toddler) or a double linen/double silk ring sling.

#12 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

For me and my heavy preschooler, what works best is a back torso carry with a  simple piece of cloth.  If you check you-tube for African Kanga there are videos explaining how to do it.  As a bonus, it folds up small, so I can easily bring one along just in case, even if I don't think I'll be carrying ds. 

#13 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM

To me, there's nothing more poppable then a pouch. It can be hard to find a pouch that's good for a heavier kid, but I find the Kangaroo Korner fleece to be pretty comfy. I've seen lots of mom use them for bigger kids, and they keep everyone warm. They're not being made currently, but I found a great deal on ebay.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page