More confused by the minute! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a complete babywearing fan and would probably buy every type of carrier if we could afford it! My DD loved my pouch and ring slings and then when older started to be carried in a soft structured carrier (not a known brand). My DS is now 4 months old and has rejected the ring slings and loves the moby. He has slept in it every nap since he was about a week old.He is now about 15llbs and it is starting to get uncomfortable and I am having to keep rewrapping it as he has a tendency to squirm while falling asleep. I need to buy a new carrier/sling ASAP.

I love the comfort of the moby (when he was smaller), but find the constant tying and retying of the thing a pain - I hate the way the fabric dangles on the floor when I am out and about with him, though that is a small price to pay for how well it works. I have tried DS in the carrier with a front carry, but it is too uncomfortable for me as the waist belt slips at the back and pulls on my spine. This might be because it is a knock off carrier and a better known brand might be better? 

We now live in London, but will be in South Africa for 5 weeks and it will be HOT with no AC. So whatever sling we buy has to be cool enough. I don't mind buying an interim one and moving to a better quality SSC when he is older if necessary, though DH is likely to less happy about that plan ;) 

I have "narrowed" my options down to a woven wrap, mei tai or soft structured carrier. So essentially haven't done any narrowing at all! I like the look of the Babyhawk, Freehand, Babyhawk oh Snap and Beco. I don't know much about woven wraps, but can't afford a Didy. I have not been able to actually see or feel any of these as there are so few places in the UK that stock slings (it really has a HUGE buggy culture)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!!!

#2 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM

First of all, Why is your moby dragging the ground? When I tie mine, I cross it in the back and then tie it in the front. It only leaves about 1/2 a foot of fabric that way. Do you mean that it drags the ground when you have to retie it? Because, I totally had that issue. How often do you wash it and do you put it in the dryer? I found that if I put mine in the dryer it got firm again and I didnt have to retie it all the time.

I love my Boba, a soft structured carrier similar to the Ergo, but I like the way it fits better.

I also suggest checking out something like this
http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/
to meet up with other moms/dads who babywear and be able to see all the different slings. Its a great way to try before you buy, you know?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 AM

I love all 3, woven, mei tai's and SSC's, lol, definitely agree on the need for all types! smile.gif

Mei tais are probably the coolest option in my opinion because they are usually not padded as much as a SSC and you don't wrap them all around like a woven.

I love a mei tai because of how fast and easy it is for both front and back carries. There are long straps but I think they are easier to keep from touching the ground than a wrap.

If your Moby wrap is dragging after you have it tied, just wrap it around your waist one more time. With the Moby, I would just tie it in the back instead of ending in the front because I had the same problem with it being too long if I tied it in the front. At 15 pounds, I had the same thing happen with it stretching out quickly because of her weight and changed to a woven wrap.

With woven wraps, you have a choice in the length so you can pick one that is a better length for you than the one size Moby. For me, a size 5 is perfect for any type of carry, the 6 is too long.
There are woven wraps that are economical and a nice, cool weave. Personally, I like BBSlen, it's not as expensive as other brands. I have Blue Curacao which is one of their cooler weaves but very supportive.
Natibaby has less expensive wraps also.
I know that each brand of wrap has different colors that may be cooler or warmer.
If your DS loves the Moby, a wrap would be perfect because you can get that same snug feeling for him

For SSC's I love the Beco Gemini! It has great color choices and is so comfortable! You can cross the straps in the back like a mei tai but they are not so long because you just clip them on and I usually clip on some of those plastic links with toys attached to the loop near the top so DD can just grab a toy but if she throws it, I don't have to constantly bend over to pick it up. The waist is padded which gives more support and I think it is just easier to put on than some other SSC's. It's the one I keep in the car because it's super fast but supportive.
My absolute favorite SSC is Bamberoo but it is a little harder to get a hold of unless you buy it used and it is definitely more expensive. You can't beat it for a SSC back carry (IMO).

One of the best things to do is go to thebabywearer.com There is a ton of info. on all types of carriers and you can find the answer to just about any question. If you can't, there are lots of experienced babywearers who will answer your questions if you post them.

Also, you can go to the FSOT forums there and find just about any carrier for less since they are used. I like used ones the best anyway, especially for wraps because they are nicely broken in for you!

Happy shopping!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies. Adaline'sMama, I have a problem with the Moby dragging while I am putting it on, particularly if we are out. I shudder to think what might be on the floor!

Mom2M, I suggested I buy all three to my DH and he didn't bite :) I think I will be doing a front carry for a few months still and a worry about the comfort of a SSC with a front carry. My DS has reflux and can only nap lying down once a day. He is on me for HOURS. I sometimes get him asleep with the wrap (he can't nurse to sleep) and then put him down, how easy would that be in the beco? I had a look at some woven wraps demos on youtube and they look impossibly fiddly. I will take a look at thebabywearer for inspiration.

Thanks again!

#5 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 AM

hmmm...maybe carrier one at a time, lol.

My DD did sleep in the Gemini when I carried her in the front. She didn't have reflux very badly but had some issues with it. She couldn't sleep lying on a bed unless her head was elevated. I know t hat is frustrating!
There is a head rest that can fold down when you don't need it that supports the head while sleeping. Also, there are hoods that can be attached to any mei tai to support his head when he is taller and above the built in head rest. I think that is the key to having them sleep in them.

As far as wraps, some of the carries are definitely complicated! There are simple carries, though, and they are still supportive.

I'm glad you are checking out the babywearer, watch out for the FSOT area, it can be addictive! smile.gif

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Went to thebabywearer.com and it was so helpful. Thank you! Ordered a mei tai last night, very excited.

#7 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

If I were going to Africa I would be buying an African carrying cloth.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#8 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyToo View Post

If I were going to Africa I would be buying an African carrying cloth.

Having lived in Africa, an African carrying cloth is most often a towel. Tried it and failed miserably!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page