Love my Moby, not sure about the Maya, how about something easier to throw on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Moby came highly recommended to me and I actually got two as baby shower gifts... I love it, and my now-5 wk-old loves it.  I look at all these silly parents carting their babies around in car seats and just feel sorry for them!

On the principles of breaking what ain't fixed and curiosity killed the cat, I ordered a Maya sling to try... and have been disappointed.  I'd really like to like it, and I think *I'm* starting to get the hang of it, but it doesn't seem to matter how I adjust it, DD fusses and seems uncomfortable.  It doesn't really serve my purpose, anyway -- it is no easier to "throw on" at a moment's notice than the Moby.  I think I'm going to return it.

Soooo... my question is, my Moby is great for wearing out for errands and doing housework etc., super comfortable for both of us.  But it's a pain to put on just to get up for a few minutes, to grab something to eat or whatever.  I'd like something easy to put on, easy to throw DD in and easy to take back off when I sit down again.  I'm thinking a pouch sling or soft carrier?  Any suggestions?  Something that is really adjustable and might fit XL-sized DH as well as myself would be a bonus, too.

#2 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM

So you're currently trying a ring sling?  What position do you have the babe in?  I could never get my DS comfortable in a cradle hold, but he did really well in a tummy to tummy hold, similar to what he was used to in the Moby.

There's nothing that says that during the day when you're home (alone?), you can't just wear the Moby, whether she's in it or not.  I know any number of mamas (myself included) who did this.  No shirt, no bra, just a Moby, and if necessary a cardigan sweater over that for my arms.  That way you can pop her in and out when necessary and not be constantly retying it. 

However, soon enough she will start outgrowing the Moby (my guy was about 3 mos), and you will definitely need another option.  The Ergo is widely popular, but if your DH is large, it's not always the best option - many large people find it uncomfortable (even with the belt extender) because the shoulder straps land in the wrong place.  If you really like the Moby, you can go with a woven wrap, which is the most versatile option, but it does have a learning curve, and has the same problem as the Moby - it's not a quick or easy on/off.  For that, the RS would be my first choice (pouches are sized, so what would work for you wouldn't work for your DH).  I also have a MT and an Ombuhimo - the Ombu is by far my favorite carrier once we outgrew the Moby, but IMO it's best use is for back carries, and it's great for a toddler - one that's not steady enough to walk but still is interested and wants to be involved in everything. 

I've never been terribly fond of my MT - it works well, but it's just not the wonderful great thing everyone led me to believe it was.  It's fiddly and a bit of a pain.  That being said, now that DS is 40 lbs, it's the only carrier I can use with him, since it puts his weight on my hips and not my shoulders/back.  I got a custom MT so that it was sized correctly to me (since DH and I are both large), and I got one with a padded waist and a waist buckle instead of straps to tie (the shoulders still tie - it's called a half-buckle tai).  That way it's as comfortable as possible, and as versatile as possible.  My sitter has used it and she's a tiny little thing, my DH has used it, and he's a foot taller than me, and I use it.  For fitting a range of body types/sizes it works well.  It's quicker off/on than a Moby, but not as quick as a RS. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

So you're currently trying a ring sling?  What position do you have the babe in?  I could never get my DS comfortable in a cradle hold, but he did really well in a tummy to tummy hold, similar to what he was used to in the Moby.

There's nothing that says that during the day when you're home (alone?), you can't just wear the Moby, whether she's in it or not.  I know any number of mamas (myself included) who did this.  No shirt, no bra, just a Moby, and if necessary a cardigan sweater over that for my arms.  That way you can pop her in and out when necessary and not be constantly retying it. 

I like(d) to tie the moby on and just leave it while I popped baby in and out, but now at 4.5 months she is too big for it.  I like a ring sling at this stage, tummy to tummy.  At 5 weeks I was using a pouch and the moby.  You could always try a pouch on in a store or something and see how you like it, the fit is important.  I have used a mei tai too but prefer woven wraps and then once they can sit, an ergo-stye soft structured carrier.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#4 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It also may take some time to get used to the maya and break it in.  I've been using the same ring sling for 6 years and at first it was difficult to get arranged and positioned but now it is super fast and easy to throw on and adjust however I want it.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I have a moby, ergo & maya. DD is 4 1/2 months. We got alot of use out of the Moby but now use the ergo most of the time. I'm also still learning to like my Maya...DD is actually asleep in it right now. We love the Ergo (we have the "Performance") and DH likes it too.

I'm a Babywearing slinggirl.gif, Cloth diaperingcd.gif, BFing bfinfant.gifusing an SNS, Bedsharing Mamafamilybed1.gif to  DD babygirl.gifborn July '11 at homehomebirth.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 AM

My first carrier was a Moby and my son will be one next week and we still love it. But! Dad wanted something a little more simple, so we were between the boba and ergo. We opted for the boba because it has a hood to shield from weather, it had a higher back and had stirrups for baby's feet..at least once his legs were long enough to reach. I love my boba. I use it often to carry my son on my back while I do chores. I also use it to put him to sleep. I bought mine on eBay..and it's organic!

#7 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 AM

The Ergo with the heart to heart insert can be used with an infant. Both Boba and Ergo are developmentally more appropriate for babies that are sitting up well. I would suggest that you do a pocket carry with the Moby and not untie it using it a pop-able carrier, Praciting with your ring sling is also a good alternative, you can put baby in tummy to tummy (close enough to kiss) with legs out that may make it easier to tie on and use comfortably.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#8 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM

The ring sling will work better for what you're wanting as baby gets bigger. smile.gif

#9 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosky View Post
 it is no easier to "throw on" at a moment's notice than the Moby.  I think I'm going to return it.

Really?  I'm confused by this.  I just put the Maya wrap over my shoulder and go.  No tying at all.  I definitely prefer the Moby for longer periods of time, but the Maya is my go-to for short errands bc it is so fast.

Quote:

Soooo... my question is, my Moby is great for wearing out for errands and doing housework etc., super comfortable for both of us.  But it's a pain to put on just to get up for a few minutes, to grab something to eat or whatever.  I'd like something easy to put on, easy to throw DD in and easy to take back off when I sit down again.  I'm thinking a pouch sling or soft carrier?  Any suggestions?  Something that is really adjustable and might fit XL-sized DH as well as myself would be a bonus, too.

You know, I like my Angelpack a lot for this.  It is like a mei tai but with buckles instead of ties, so it is pretty fast to put on (not as fast as the Maya though as you need to snap 2-3 buckles).  It would fit a wide range of sizes - you can get it super small by crossing the straps over your back (I prefer it this way) or super large by wearing them over the shoulders with the included extender/stabilizer loop.  It isn't really good for a newborn though - my 2 month old is outgrowing my stretchy wrap but isn't quite big enough for the Angelpack to be comfortable.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page