Didymos sizing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I have decided to take the plunge and get a woven wrap.  I would like the shortest one I can get away with but still want to be able to do the front cross carry that I've been using with my Sleepy Wrap.

I am 5'3", was 121 lb and size 4 prepreg, currently 140 lb and unknown size (I'm squeezing into my most forgiving prepreg pants but with an enormous muffin top, awesome).  The Didymos website says I still need the 4.2m wrap for the front cross carry; however I searched around and found an old thread where someone only slightly smaller than me said she had lots of wrap left over in a 4.2m.

Would I possibly be able to do this carry with the 3.7m wrap or do I for sure need the 4.2?  I think the Sleepy is 4.7 and I have a fair meter of fabric left after a double knot in the front.  Of course the Sleepy is much stretchier but I see the Didymos is a parallelogram so is it a bit more than the stated length from tip to tip?  And if it doesn't quite reach, could I just knot directly in the back and still have a secure carry?

Also, will there be much shrinkage?  I was thinking I could get the 4.2 and dry it on hot if it is longer than I need?

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#2 of 3 Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it is a smarter buy to get a wrap that is a bit long than one that is too short. You can always trim down.

Will your DH or other being using the wrap? If yes then go with the longer wrap.

For a beginner I recommend wraps that may have one or more of these features to help with the learning process,

of tying on the wrap with ease and with comfort in mind.

Double faced wraps,  a solid color on side and a different solid color on the other.

Will show if you have a twist in the fabric that will cause discomfort. 

Wraps with rails (the edges that go length wise) that have opposite colors along then again offer visual cues.

A wrap with horizontal stripes will help in defining how fequently you should pull the fabric to develop the best support for you and your baby.

(photos upon request)

Pulling the fabric and shoulder shrugs will take a wrap that is marginal and possibly make it work.

This is a link to a German babywearing instructor who uses this technique, she demonstrates in German, yet her demonstration well shows what the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBSCULoiww&feature=plcp&context=C3808a5aUDOEgsToPDskLTsXnvNqWmGnFAy-DF7bRu

I prefer the pocket carry she demonstrates to the typical cross carry as I think it is cooler and more comfortable for baby.

If you have any questions I am happy to help.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#3 of 3 Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the input!  After some more research I think the shorter wrap will be best (I am not handy and would never get around to modifying a too-long wrap) but I will definitely take your advice on patterns into account.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page