I have the winter babywearing blues. Please help me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I am an experienced babywearer who has come across a totally new babywearing issue that I could really use your help with. For the first time in the 8 years that I have been wearing my babes I am finding winter babywearing impossible. In the past it's been uncomfortable but now both dh and I are finding that carrying our 20 month old on our backs or hips is seriously painful after just a short walk. I know that this is due to the extra bulk we are all wearing to protect us from the cold. In the past I've had huge fleece coats that I've worn over my baby and I but it just is too cold for fleece and I've got dd on my back most often as I have 2 older dds to help as well as a dog I'm walking on a leash.

We are using either a ring sling, stretchy fleece wrap or Baby Hawk. None are comfortable. I am really commited to wearing my babies and really don't want to have to buy a stroller or a new carrier to get us through these next few months. Do you have any suggestions? If you do please share them with me! I would so appreciate them!

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

#2 of 6 Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Hey there mama. I too had a stretchy wrap (Sleepy Wrap) and a Baby Hawk, but I never felt comfortable in the Baby Hawk so I sold it (on here) & bought an Ergo. LOVE the Ergo! It's still really comfortable to wear my little guy & he's 3 & 30lbs. In the winter I bundle us up & wear him on the outside of my coat. This has worked for us. Hope you find what works for you. 

#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 PM

My daughter is a twenty pounder and I also carry her in a ring sling. I find it most comfortable to wear a sweater, put the sling on top of that (with her strapped to my front, facing in) and put a closer fitting lighter jacket on top of that. If it's very cold I'll layer a thick wool shawl over both of us and between the shawl and our body heat we both stay toasty. Doing it this way prevents us from being too bulky and makes it easy to layer down once we get into the store/library/wherever.

I'm not sure that this will help you -- it's just what works for me. Good luck. It can be very frustrating to be in pain while you carry your baby, especially when they do that jerk-baby thing and decide to arch back and straighten their legs out at the same time.

#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I LOVE my Mei Tai Baby, but as DS grew I found it would dig more and I grew to prefer the Ergo.

The ring sling was by far my work-horse carrier, but again as DS grew heavier it was difficult for longer carries.

If finances allow it, I would suggest a) an Ergo and b) a babywearing coat so you can keep babe close to you (I swear the extra inch or two that your coat plus babe's coat put between you in winter is enough to put awkward leverage working against you and makes it harder to properly adjust the carrier).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM

I wish I had some great ideas, but the only thing I can suggest is a vest.  When I'm carrying a backpack (no kids in slings yet :)) and walking our dog, it's a lot easier for me when I've got a fleece on, and then a down vest on top.  Having your arms totally free makes it easier to carry something on your back - not sure why but it really does.  With a hat and mittens it's warm enough even for winter here in Switzerland.

I must say, the rain poncho on the 'babywearing coat' link above is so CUTE! 

Miranda, 27, wife to DH, 38, and brand new mama to DS! joy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Have you considered trying to wear your child INSIDE your coat? This way there would be less slack and more proper distribution of your child's weight on your body. The fluffy-ness of your coat and baby's coat get in the way of having the straps resting directly against your body for support.

You can DIY with a Salvation Army find or buy one. Suse Kinder is a popular brand of babywearing coat.

I myself live in a cold climate. The winters here regularly go down to -20C for a spell. DD and DS2 were both worn inside my coat. Even up to 17kg in weight and tandem when the youngest was a newborn.

Good luck and stay warm!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page