Keeping your little one warm while babywearing in winter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored Content

Keeping your little one warm while babywearing

How your child views the world is greatly influenced by what YOU show them.  You’re like their tDSC_0090.jpgour guide.  Babywearing is an amazing way to show your little one the world, maintain intimacy and closeness AND keep your hands free.  

But what about during those cold winter months, when shared body heat isn’t enough? You can bundle them up in restrictive jackets or clumsy blankets, tuck them away in a stroller, or avoid the outdoors entirely.  The elements shouldn’t restrict you from sharing your daily activities with your little one.

That’s where TogetherBe comes in.  TogetherBe, who brought us the fantasticPeekaru Original fleece vest as well as the super-warm Peekaru Soft Shell, have a new babywearing accessory – the Peekaru Hoodie!  Like other Peekaru products, the Hoodie is designed to fit snugly over your favorite baby carrier.  It keeps you and your little one close and warm, while still allowing baby to experience the sights.  The hoodie can even be used with a back carry.

The Peekaru Hoodie is perfect for spring, fall, and cool summer nights.  When the snow starts falling, you can bundle your coat over top of the hoodies and keep warm in all your outdoor winter activities.

TogetherBe also offers a favorite among babywearers, the FreeHand Mei Tai.  Their mei tai comes in several beautiful prints, including the brand-new Beatri. If you’re still on the fence about owning your own mei tai, TogetherBe just introduced the fantastically-priced solid black and brown FreeHand Mei Tai at an introductory price of $59.95. You can visit their website to view the solid mei tei here!

breatrix.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

Best of all, the TogetherBe website provides helpful, step-by-step videos that can show you how to properly wear your mei tai and protect your little one.  Even if you’re a babywearing pro, you can pick up some advanced tips and tricks in the Wearing Instructions section of their website.

And if you’re looking for deals, don’t miss the lavender Peekaru Original (on sale for only $45), and the Peekaru Soft Shell ($100 off) available here:

Lavender Peekaru Original

Peekaru Soft Shell

TogetherBe’s FreeHand Mei Tai as well as their new Peekaru Hoodie allows mamas and babies to share and enjoy outside adventures more than ever. 

How do YOU deal with babywearing in the colder months?  Leave your answers in this thread!

- Jenni 

Mothering Staff

#2 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM

My maternity coat still fits around both of us!

#3 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neela0207 View Post

My maternity coat still fits around both of us!

Same here!

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#4 of 20 Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Big wool poncho over the front wearing carrier works really well.

#5 of 20 Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM

I made a recent purchase of a Kowalli (http://www.kowalli.com/) which I love. We walk outside everyday for a minimum of 30-45 minutes and in Canada (today -29 C, -20.2 F) keeping warm was a challenge. Now my little one is tucked in, happy and warm.

#6 of 20 Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm still looking for a way to back-carry in the MN winter without having to buy a whole new jacket.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#7 of 20 Old 02-09-2012, 03:10 PM

I had a wonderful, large purple velvet coat, and a big red cloak, both of which fit over my kids in their carriers.  With this one, I have a wonderful warm wrap that will keep us both snug.

"It is not I who am crazy...it is I who am MAD!!!"
-Ren, "Space Madness", The Ren & Stimpy Show, 1991
#8 of 20 Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 AM

you should check out the ROSK Pouch it is very versatile beyond just working with the baby carrier it also works with the Stroller and car seat and Mom can wear what ever she likes!

It is just now coming into Canada http://www.lakapooki.com/rosk-rain-or-shine-kids/woombee-pouch.html

#9 of 20 Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpires View Post

you should check out the ROSK Pouch it is very versatile beyond just working with the baby carrier it also works with the Stroller and car seat and Mom can wear what ever she likes!

It is just now coming into Canada http://www.lakapooki.com/rosk-rain-or-shine-kids/woombee-pouch.html

I actually saw a babywearing mama on the bus with one of these- baby looked cozy!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#10 of 20 Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I saw a knitting pattern for a panel that buttons on your coat front to expand it for babywearing. Cloaks are great too!

#11 of 20 Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM

I have a kinder-coat to wear over the baby carrier and LOVE it.  One purchase I have never regretted. 

#12 of 20 Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM

I use a kowali, i love it! we are both very cozy and it wasnt too expensive, relative to its usefulness.

#13 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM

I have a cloak for front wearing but I also use a warm wool shawl wrapped around both of us with a back carry.  DD only needs a hat then (with ties so she can't pull it off in five seconds).  The shawl is wrapped right under my arms and just over dd's shoulders.  It works great even in the coldest weather.  We're in Wisconsin.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#14 of 20 Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Until last winter I was using a Suses Kindercoat which rocked. In October I was in Taos NM and during a rainstorm came across a mother that was walking back to the reservation carrying her son in a rebozo. I was close to my friends house where I was staying but she had a few miles left to walk in the storm so I gave her my Kindercoat and she was in love with it! I would love another babywearing coat but do not see it in my budget this year.

be good family...

#15 of 20 Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I live in Yukon territory, Canada, so our winters are long and quite cold (it's -35 C this morning). Last winter I bought an amauti, which is a traditional baby-wearing parka used by the Inuit. Basically the coat is the baby carrier! There is a big pouch in the back for baby to sit in. There is a sash to tie around my waist and keep baby from slipping out the bottom, and the hood is huge, I can pull it up over both of us if need be. I will admit that it's not great for long periods of time, as all of baby's weight is on my shoulders, but I've been meaning to try it over my Ergo carrier, I have a feeling it will fit well over that and then his weight will be a little more comfortably distributed. I absolutely love it! It was a big investment but I don't regret it at all. Our winters are too long to be housebound because of cold temperatures!

#16 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM

http://amautibaby.com/

Support a lovely babywearing tradition. Custom made, from the women up North. A bit Pricey but would be easily passed around family and friends. Back Carry!

Image property of AmautiBaby. 

cynthia mosher likes this.
#17 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I bought a huge down coat (like 3 sizes too big for me) and zipped it up around me and baby.

#18 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Braun View Post

That is such a beautiful photo.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#19 of 20 Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM

Love the photo! :)

#20 of 20 Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM

With all 3 dc I always used dh's extra winter coat since they've been 4m or less in winter time. So Dh's coat has always fit perfectly around my still big belly and baby. Tho I won't lie it is a very snug fit winky.gif

But one of those would be awesome for baby #4 coming this summer!

I'll be walking a 7y old and 4.5y old to school every day with a 22 month old walking and a 6wish old baby. Mornings are cold in Canada in September!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page