Best carrier for a lot of in and outs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the first baby I've worn, and we are loving it. She outgrew the Maya at 12 w, and has been in a gorgeous baby hawk ever since. She is 6 mos and about 16 lbs now. It's comfy and perfect except for one thing. To take her out is easy, but to put her back in means I have to untie the knot, which sometimes takes a few minutes, each time, the adjusting it and retying it. Every time we are in and out of the car, etc, I am doing this. You can't leave it tied unless you stand there for 10-15 mins scootching her feet inside the previous tie. Not fun for me, probably not fun for her.

I wear the mei tai all the time and just put her in and out because taking it off or tying it around my waist would take even longer.

Is there an easier carrier that is this comfy that would fit just right so that I could:

Leave it on when she's not in it, say, while driving
Pop her right in and adjust quickly
Re-pop her back in after she's been out

She does all her daytime napping in it so head support would be nice. I bought a head support hood but have never used it because it would ruin the cute baby hawk look if always left on, and when she's asleep I don't want to be fussing crazily to get a freaking hood on.

Solutions, experts? Thanks.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM

When my babies/toddlers got to the age of lots of ins and outs i definitely preferred my ergo over a wrap or mei tai. With the ergo I could leave it snapped around my waist and hanging down when the kid wasn't in it, and it was just one buckle to snap in when it was time to carry somebody. 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#3 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM

i have been using a boba carrier and i love it!  my son is 9mo old and it works great for ins and outs.  it has a hood, but you can roll it up when not in use.  really easy!  plus it is really easy to get him in and out of.  it only has two clips...one for your waist and then one for your shoulders.  easy peasy!

#4 of 9 Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM

I am finding the Beco Gemini really great for our 5 month old. Like the others I just leave it clipped around my waist. Sometimes it is a bit of a trip hazard (!) if you forget to wrap it up around when baby's not in it but generally it works really well. I find in the car I can leave it clipped on and if the weather is bad just clip baby in before we get outside.

We also have a Moby wrap and that was great when baby was smaller for popping in and out but now he is bigger, personally I find the 'legs out' hold slightly more hassle for getting the baby into in a hurry. In theory though the Moby should be great for wearing all the time.
#5 of 9 Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
cww

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I use a ring sling all the time for precisely this reason - I find it easy to get our DD in and out quickly.  I found the ergo difficult to do by myself, so I don't tend to use it for trips where there will be lots of in and out.  Ditto for the Moby. 

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011
DD born at 40w1d on 3/1/2014
#6 of 9 Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second the ring sling, i used it for this as well. in fact, i used it from birth and am still using it. gets a bit uncomfortable after carrying a heavy baby for a long time, but mine is tiny love.gif.

it gets even better when they are toddlers and want change between walking and carrying all the time! Go for a sling! but a good one. i hav e a didysling. love it.

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#7 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM

My son LIVED in his ring sling - especially for naps, but also walks/out and about - until he got too big to lay down comfortably in it. It was super easy to put on and pop him in and out of (resting his head slightly elevated on the end opposite the ring). I still use it in snuggle hold (him against my chest, with the sling tight on his back and cradling his butt) if the Ergo is in the wash or out of reach, but the Ergo is so much easier in this position, I think. No adjusting to get him in and out, just two quick clicks and we are good to go! (one click if it's already around my waist - can't beat that! thumb.gif

I can reach behind my back really easily to click the top clasp closed, but it did take a wee bit of practice. I find the Ergo really easy to leave on around my waist and do it all the time - DH is always sure I'll trip, but I haven't! (knock on wood...) whistling.gif

If cost is an issue and/or you are the DIY type, I know there are websites that can show you how to make your own ring sling from a length of fabric and metal rings - that could be alot cheaper than the Ergo or some of the pricey slings. Good luck!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#8 of 9 Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM

For lots of ups and downs, I really like the scootababy.  I can leave it on my waist, and quickly get the baby in and out.  It is one shouldered, so if I'm going to be wearing for a longer time, I'll grab a 2 shouldered carrier instead (love my chunei for back carries!).

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#9 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 AM

Do you still have your Maya wrap? Ringslings are great for quick carries while running errands.

Tags
Babywearing , Maya , Ergo Baby , Wraps , Beco Baby Carrier Gemini

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page