30 Month old Babywearing without the $100 Pricetag, where and how?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im looking to babywear with my 2 and half year old. He, especially since Im a full time student can be very attached to my hip when I am home, or when he wakes, Im stranded to the couch for 30 mins until he wakes up, I think a bit of babywearing will benefit us both.

I previously used a wrap with him from 4months to 13months, And it was only a big long piece of cotton another babywearer gave me  and that was fine, but I couldnt use it anymore because of the weight, it would just stretch out of the carry.

I know my best bet is a woven fabric wrap, I looked at them and they are $100-$130 to buy premade

I am googling trying to find the right fabric for the job, and I cant find any, they would need to ship to Canada, any ideas? Where can I buy one secondhand? Any reasonably priced wraps? Or fabric? 

Thanks, I need help!dizzy.gif

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM

you can buy sling rings online for about 5 dollars, and download  free instructions for sewing a ring sling. I carry my daughter that way. Or look for a consignment store that may have used slings or backpacks. I like a sling because it is easier to keep wearing when they get down to walk on there own.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I have a variety of homemade non-stretchy wraps from fabrics I found at our local fabric store. I think they work great, just look for a thicker cotton with no stretch and be sure to check your wrap periodically for weakening threads. I know "they" say not to do that, but I love mine. Super comfy and all of the fabric has held up fine. I buy 3 yds, cut in half lengthwise and then over lap the two pieces. Sew a rectangle and an X through the rectangle. No wear and tear on those seams either.

Mama to three

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM

We have tried a bunch of different carriers/slings and I have NEVER bought one brand new!  

You are in Canada, try kijiji or craig's list...   

Value Village, thrift stores, they are usually cheap there because most people have no idea what it is!!

Or ask around!  You only get to use them for a short time, so people always want to get rid of em.

I just got an ergo for 40 bucks on kijiji, and she mailed it to me for the cost of post!!

here's my recent blog post about this very topic!

http://tadpoletalk.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-baby-carrier-reviews.html

Happy babywearing!

Momma to little Atlin Feb2010dust.gif2nd on its way

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Osnaburg fabric a heavy cotton that some mamas like, or you can buy 100% linen in a medium weight (6-7 oz). Denim or twill will also work-- same weight as the linen I recommended.

Tags
Babywearing
User Tag List