Best Frame-Pack Backpack for Older Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I still use my ergo every day, all day long, (in fact I strap it on in the am like an apron when i dress and leave it there) in both front and back carries but am forseeing the need for a frame back in a couple months and wondered if anyone had favorites?

DD is giant, 25 pounds, 30 inches, at 8 months. She's happy in the ergo 9 times out of 10 but for longer hikes and such she gets antsy and is happier with the bit more space the frame-pack allows. We've had a dinky evenflo pack someone gave us and used it a couple times in these situations and it did the trick. But she's almost outgrown it and I don't like the way it holds her body. She can't "sit" in it - it's more like a bjorn, just holds her crotch rather than her bum in seated position. It'd also be nice to have a pack that was more adventure oriented with a zipper pocket, places to strap bedding, etc. Something that you could really take to the wilderness for a few days and have it be useful. 

Thoughts on something that would work now until past 45 pounds and be adjustable enough to fit me at 5'6", my giant hubby at 6'7" and our gimongo baby? 

#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM

I've heard really good things about Kelty carriers, but they are pricey.  A Mountain Equipment Co-op carrier is comparable and less expensive, but I don't know if you can get MEC stuff in the US.  We bought our Kelty used on Kijiji (like Craig's list) so if budget is an issue maybe that is an option.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 3 Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM

I've used a Sherpani frame backpack that worked pretty well. I think they adjust for parents of different sizes. However, I am about 5'4" and it seemed a little long for me which was most noticeable on longer hikes.  My husband likes an REI frame backpack that he picked up at a second hand sports store. He is even able to carry our 3 (almost 4 year) old in it. I don't think I could, but I'm busy packing around the younger one (almost 2) in an ergo (he is small for his age).

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page