Whatever happened to the Maya Wrap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About 10 years ago when I was carrying my last baby (gosh, I feel so old now!), I loved my Maya Wrap.  I used it as a primary tool for getting my baby around, though I did have two strollers I occasionally used mostly for my older toddler.  My baby was colicky and high strung, and I carried him every day for well over a year, often for hours at a time.

I used the unpadded ring sling.  As long as I switched shoulders every couple of hours, it was comfortable.  It also is very versatile for different positions for the baby, and I used the "tail" as a cover for nursing.

At that time, the Maya Wrap seemed to be the most common brand for babywearing (I don't know if it really was, or if that was just my perception because of the circles I was in).  Unpadded ring slings were their most popular product.  Over the years, they seem to have reduced their ring sling designs quite a bit, and now have wraps and padded slings as well.  Other brands of slings and baby carriers have become more popular.  I'm glad to see that, because it means there is a demand for slings and carriers and the variety available means there is something for everyone.

But you rarely hear about the Maya Wrap anymore. Why have the original unpadded ring slings fallen out of fashion?

#2 of 14 Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM

I have a maya wrap padded ring sling.  Bought it a few years ago with my first, and I love it for younger babies.  I agree, I think there are many different brands on the market now, more than there used to be.

#3 of 14 Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Actually the Maya Wrap was used by a mom friend of mine and highly recommended to me when my DD was born!  I have a sling from Sleeping Baby Productions, but the only reason I bought that instead of the Maya Wrap is that a local babywearing group had some of each to try and I liked the shoulder on this company's better.

But I see many more Ergos, etc. than ring slings (and actually bought & used my Ergo many months before buying the ring sling).  I think that's because ring slings are faintly intimidating if you've never used one before.  Though when I finally had somebody show me how to use a ring sling, it was SO MUCH EASIER and better than the darn Moby I had and hated for the newborn period!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#4 of 14 Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM

We had a maya wrap padded sling for NB days (primary carrier for the first 5 months).  We leant it to a friend for their NB but will get it back for our next child b/c I LOVED it for those first months!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#5 of 14 Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM

I remember that the maya ring wraps were all recalled because the rings on them posed a safety hazard. (They kept breaking off.) I was pretty sad to learn that, because I was really interested in getting one... A lot of mothers have been telling me to get a Moby, but I've seen/heard so many complaints about the usability of the Moby with a newborn. 

#6 of 14 Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2B2012 View Post

I remember that the maya ring wraps were all recalled because the rings on them posed a safety hazard. (They kept breaking off.) I was pretty sad to learn that, because I was really interested in getting one... A lot of mothers have been telling me to get a Moby, but I've seen/heard so many complaints about the usability of the Moby with a newborn. 

I can't imagine that a simple recall would mean the end of all ring slings though. A short time after I bought my Maya Wrap, I remember a recall on certain slings that were made in a particular period of time, due to defective rings that snapped. Mine wasn't made during that time perood and didn't need telo be replaced. They changed their rings because of this, but didn't discontinue their products.

This kind of thing happens all the time with other products, such as car seats. But a recall alone isn't enough to push them out of business. I will have to look into this more.
#7 of 14 Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM

I double checked because I hadn't heard this...so from the website 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

This kind of thing happens all the time with other products, such as car seats. But a recall alone isn't enough to push them out of business. I will have to look into this more.

"Have you ever had a recall or investigation?
Yes. In 2007 a ring broke on one of our slings. The baby did not fall and there was no injury. We quit selling any slings that may have had a similar problem. After much testing and research we released all of our slings for sale. More information

Maya Wrap had a voluntary recall on Maya Wrap Slings with welded 1/8 inch rings purchased between Jan 1, 2001 and July 31, 2001. Rings that are about 1/4" thick were not recalled. Recalled Slings do not have lot numbers in them and they do not have padding in the shoulder. Maya Wrap Slings are now made with 1/4" anodized aluminum rings which are strong yet light weight. If you think you may have a recalled sling please contact us (click here) to arrange for repair. "

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Well that sucks.  I bought an unpadded, nicely broken in Maya Wrap at a thrift store for $10 and now I'm concerned.  Guess I should contact them...  FWIW I LOVE my maya, especially for my giant 6 week old. 

#9 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 PM

I bought a used Maya wrap at a garage sale a few years ago. I didn't use it much for DS1 but I loved it for DS2, especially when he was bitty. I'll have to check the ring sizes before the twins come, I had no idea about the recall.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#10 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM

I have an unpadded Maya Wrap ring sling. When I was pregnant, I knew I wanted a ring sling but didn't know the differences between brands and I saw Maya on Amazon, so I put in on my Baby Registry, since they give you 10% off.  I do love using a Ring Sling, but if I could do it over, honestly I'd go for another brand. I don't know if the older ones are made the same, but the one I have only fits one shoulder and it's really bulky and thick.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#11 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I remember the recall in 2001.  But since then they have been selling them and people use them all the time.  I think they are very reliable carrier - I don't have one but was thinking about buying one for this new baby.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#12 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I used a maya wrap (padded) ring sling with my dd until she was 6 months old. I loved it. The sling made nursing on the go very easy. The padded shoulder was helpful-- I carried my dd in it for hour-long walks. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#13 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 AM

I use my Maya wrap everyday! Mine is padded but lightly and just on the shoulder.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#14 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 PM

I'm really considering a Maya (unpadded). My SILs like the Ergo, but it just looks bulky to me. I'm small and it just doesn't look like something I would really use.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page