I need a higher back carry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I've been using a woven wrap for about 3 months now, and after some initial difficulty I settled on the BWCC as my back carry of choice and I'm pretty comfortable with it now.  I can get it on quickly and safely and baby (5 mo) stays wrapped pretty tightly.

I still would like a way to get her higher though.  (She can kind of see over my shoulder but not enough to see what I'm doing very well, and she ends up whining and sinking down on one side because she is trying to see around me.)

I have tried the secure high back carry but I don't really like the asymmetric wrapping method (one strap around the side and the other over the shoulders) because I invariably find that I make one side just slightly looser than the other and then baby finds the wiggle room and gets her arm out and ends up slumped down on that side trying to dive out of the wrap.  Also she isn't really sitting any higher than she does in the BWCC, not sure if that's bc I'm not doing the SHBC correctly or what?

Is there a back carry that wraps symmetrically but sits the baby higher than the BWCC?  Or is there a way to tweak the BWCC to get her to sit higher? TIA

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For me, I find it's easiest to get a baby up nice and high with a simple ruck, especially once the baby is past the squishy newborn stage.

Making sure the waist strap is nice and high or tying tibeten also helps.

I think BWCC can be a great carry but because the crosses are coming down over your shoulder the baby naturally ends up lower. I also Double Hammock a lot and find I can get a nice high carry with that too, but it's not as easy to keep them high as with a ruck.

Here's my DD up nice and high in a ruck. It's even easier to get her high if I wrap her with her arms out, but at 5 months old I don't think I would have been comfortable with that yet.

006.JPG

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey thanks... somehow in a ruck the crossed straps under the bum always seem to be cutting into the backs of her knees... is that bc I am doing it wrong?  Otherwise it seems like a good carry, it does keep her high but just doesn't seem comfortable. If I sit her lower I can spread the fabric over her bum (sort of a hybrid between ruck and BWCC) but then there's the sitting-low issue again.  ??

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM

You can spread the crosses when she's up high too, although you need to be a little more flexible - it's generally called a reinforced ruck. I've never been good at it and find it hard to keep the tension. One thing that I find really helps prevent the crosses from cutting into the legs is to make sure there's a really good seat, with fabric going from knee to knee first, then make sure I catch the fabric of the first pass under the crosses so they aren't right again baby's skin.

If you want to explore other carries, check out thebabywearer.com. If you go to Choosing and Using a Wrap there are a number of Carry of the Week threads that include lots of pictures, videos, and hints on different carries. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that works for you!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 PM

I'm having the same problem, I'm going to try the ruck!

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page