Awesome babywearing experience! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got out of the house with just DD today (first time since DS was born!) and we went shopping. I had DD in my Kozy carrier mei tai (love love love that thing) while we were shopping. I ran into an African woman who was smiling at me, and she asked me "Where you from?" and we had a big long conversation about how no one around here carries their babies and they should! She was so nice and encouraging! It's easy to get discouraged here. I've seen (in probably 5 years) ONE mama wearing a newborn (front facing!!) in a Moby, and one mama with an Ergo. Ever. People here (small-town Midwest) are big into making babies "independent." It was so wonderful to connect with a mama from another culture and have her commend me like that.

Made me all warm and fuzzy inside! joy.gif Just wanted to share :)

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM

It is the comments like that that make me feel good too!  I know what you mean about small midwest towns.  Besides my sister and myself- I have seen exactly 2 Ergos in 7 years.  I have started giving pouch slings as baby gifts- and actually saw one I made on someone else at a homeschool conference- that was cool :)  Anyway- when DS1 was just tiny and new I had him in a sling nursing at the grocery store and this really really old man came up quite unexpectedly and pulled away the sling and of course got a full view but was so sweet on telling me that that was the way babies were supposed to be- not in a plastic carrier in a cart :)  It was weird- but good :)

Eta- I see snugglies all the time though- but mostly at the thrift store or garage sales- not surprisingly I rarely see them on :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM

That is so awesome, mama! smile.gif  You are doing a great job - and btw - congrats on the new wee lil one!  Omigosh, you certainly have your hands full. diaper.gif

I totally understand what you mean - I probably see a few more babies in carriers here, but still not a ton.  My family has certainly raised more than a few eyebrows, and we go to a church with a huge older crowd that is likewise geared toward baby "independence" - it's been interesting, to say the least, when I didn't leave my baby in the nursery the whole first year and just wore him the entire time (I once nursed him in the Ergo while talking in front of the congregation, haha).  He goes to the nursery now...but so do I, to nurse him (a whole 'nother thing...winky.gif).

Way to go!  It's great to have validating experiences like that - keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

It is the comments like that that make me feel good too!  I know what you mean about small midwest towns.  Besides my sister and myself- I have seen exactly 2 Ergos in 7 years.  I have started giving pouch slings as baby gifts- and actually saw one I made on someone else at a homeschool conference- that was cool :)  Anyway- when DS1 was just tiny and new I had him in a sling nursing at the grocery store and this really really old man came up quite unexpectedly and pulled away the sling and of course got a full view but was so sweet on telling me that that was the way babies were supposed to be- not in a plastic carrier in a cart :)  It was weird- but good :)

Eta- I see snugglies all the time though- but mostly at the thrift store or garage sales- not surprisingly I rarely see them on :)

I'm in Iowa, too! And you're right about the Snuglis! They're ridiculously awful and uncomfortable. No wonder no one keeps them lol.gif

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Tags
Babywearing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page