Maya - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm due with #3 in February, and need a new carrier... the slings I do have kill me(local WAHM brands). I'm leaning towards the Maya, but was just wondering how everyone would rate it? Thank you!!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I was wondering the same thing. :)  I love the way they look and wanted a ring sling for this baby (didn't have one with my DD), but didn't know if it was worth it for ease of use/comfort/etc. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM

The lightly padded shoulder on the maya is super comfy.  I actually prefer it over SBP.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#4 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

I used the Maya for all three of my previous babies and just got a new one for #4. The just seem to fit me and I can wear them all day if I have to:)

#5 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Loved the Maya. The shoulder padding is great. My shoulder definitely got tired after a while (earlier in comparison to the two-shoulder carriers I used) but I wore DD in it often and for pretty long periods of time. Easy to put on and easy to get baby in and out. I'd recommend it. 

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#6 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of my Maya Wrap. I think it's so much more bulky than other ring slings I've seen, and it was harder for me to adjust it at first, compared to other kinds. I also am not a big fan of the pocket, as it makes it almost impossible (for me) to thread it while it's on my body (for a back carry, for example). I also think that SBP shoulders are more comfy for me.

All that being said, I'm keeping my Maya because it works and the other kinds out there are so darn expensive!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like my Maya but haven't tried any other ring slings for comparison.  I do love the pocket actually, I never unthread the sling so that isn't an issue (if I want to back carry I use a wrap).  It's extremely handy for not having to juggle a bag in addition to the two kids, a grocery cart and whatever else.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#8 of 11 Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

I prefer my Zolowear ring sling over my Maya. The Maya padded shoulder is actually not comfortable for me. It sounded nice, but it actually does not stretch over the shoulder quite as much. This limits how well the carrier can distribute the weight , which is pretty important in a one-shoulder carrier. I still have mine because it is okay for short periods, And my DH has Man shoulders and thinks it is just fine. Don't have any other ring sling to compare, but I got my Zolowear at [=Www.bebybaby.com][/]
#9 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM

I really like the newer Maya models.  I didn't love the unpadded older one I used for awhile with DD1.  With this one (bought new a few months ago) I find the fabric nice and sturdy, the padded shoulder makes it pretty comfy and I love the pocket.  The pocket might be my favorite thing-- that way I know where my keys and phone are when I run in and out of places with the babe! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#10 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM

I'm thinking about making a ring sling. There is a site, www.thebabywearer.com, I was going to look that up today actually.... It has a page of links to make them. I think that will be cheaper and give my MIL something to do. She is a good seamstress, has the time and REALLY wants to help with stuff for the baby. :)

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#11 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

I don't like the new Maya wrap, with the padded shoulder.  I'm wide shouldered, and plus sized, and I just can't get the same comfortable fabric spread over my shoulder like I could with the old, unpadded design.  The sling slips off of my shoulder, and up onto my neck, and even when It stays on my shoulder, it is not comfortable.  I tried a bunch of times, but now I never use it.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page