Ergo not working so well - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is too big for the infant insert and its way to hot here. She's almost 4 months. I've tried putting her in with her legs in a froggy position, sitting on a rolled up receiving blanket but she always tries to stand up in it! Not safe! I tried with her legs out sitting on a rolled up receiving blanket but she gets fussy in it so something isn't working. I feel like the H2H insert isn't working for us. I thought I solved the issue with having her in the froggy position but standing up in the carrier is not okay!

I was looking at the Becos and Bobas but not sure what to get. I'm not a fan of the Moby - too complicated. I have very little budget so I need to find it second hand or really cheap. Any suggestions?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#2 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

with this bb and with dd, we had this problem right around this timeframe- it will work well in a month or two, but there seems to me that there's a period of it not working during the in-between times.

do you have a ring sling?  those are pretty inexpensive and they're everywhere.  i just got a woven wrap but it's kind of like the moby as far as ease of use goes.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 AM

My baby was small when she was born ... 5lbs, 14oz and the only thing that has worked really well for us so far (she is 5 weeks now, almost 8lbs) is the Boba 3G.  Sometimes she likes a Maya sling, but not often.  The Boba is great, and has an infant setting that you might not even use with a 4 month old.  I find it a little awkward to nurse in, but I am still learning.

-----

www.milkmombaby.com

breast milk keepsake locket kits

treehugger.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpgslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Ditto the ring sling--that was our go-to until DD was big enough for the Ergo. I also used a Baby-Bjorn-type front carrier (can't remember the brand) that I got used at a second-hand kids clothing store (eight dollars!). Both worked great. Be sure to go back to the Ergo when your DD is old enough--it's so great and we're still using it at 19 months.

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#5 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

with this bb and with dd, we had this problem right around this timeframe- it will work well in a month or two, but there seems to me that there's a period of it not working during the in-between times.

do you have a ring sling?  those are pretty inexpensive and they're everywhere.  i just got a woven wrap but it's kind of like the moby as far as ease of use goes.

This. Also, when we were in the "in between" time, I would sometimes put one of his legs out and one leg froggied.

I wouldn't go for a moby or stretchy wrap, as they don't work well for over 15lbs. I also agree that a ring sling is great for this stage and can be pretty inexpensive. If you're willing to go really cheap, but not quite as comfortable, you can make your own no-sew ring sling very cheaply: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/no_sew.html

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 PM

I second the one-leg-out-and-one-froggied.  We did that in the in-between time.  I'm sure you're not supposed to do that, but it works fine and was the only way DD was comfortable until she hit 4 months and both her legs stuck out.

We also used a ring sling (albeit a little later, but wish I would have known about them earlier!).  I hated the moby wrap--ring slings are much easier.  Mine is from Sleeping Baby Productions and cost about $50; they also have some that are more like $35.  I hear they cost about $15 if you use the Sleeping Baby pattern and sew it yourself, but I just didn't have time.  I looooooooved my sling for the couple months when DD was old enough to want to see around but too young to be able to stick her arms out of the ergo and crane around to see.  We don't use it so much now that she's bigger, but it still comes in handy sometimes.  And I swear I'm using it from day 1 next time!  The ergo is scary with newborns!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#7 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had a period when DD was not happy unless facing OUT (at certain times of the day when she was feeling really active but still wanted to be worn).  Most of the "better" carriers don't give you that option as far as I've found (would love to hear if any of them do!), but we had a cheap Infantino carrier that a friend got at a yard sale that worked for that.  They're not ideal because baby is suspended with the carrier supporting her between the legs rather than being in a sitting position, but we figured short periods of time for a small part of her infant-hood wouldn't permanently ruin her spinal adjustment or whatever.  They are cheap to buy new, and fairly easy to find used.  Not the most comfortable for the parent either, but if you're just using it until DC grows into the Ergo it's not such a big deal.  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#8 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I took the pillow part out of the infant insert and had her sit on just the pillow in the carrier and I wore the waist belt higher (I was wearing it on my hips) and she was perfectly happy in it for 2 hours and fell asleep! He legs weren't as wide too which might of been the problem. I think we're good with using only the pillow part and wearing it higher up! Thanks for everyones help! I'm definitely getting a sling for easier in and out though.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#9 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM

that's exactly what we did in the in between - used just the bolster until he was big enough to spread his legs out the sides.

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#10 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

<snipped>

If you're willing to go really cheap, but not quite as comfortable, you can make your own no-sew ring sling very cheaply: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/no_sew.html

I was just about to post this, but saw you already had.  I second the above.  smile.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page