Can you go jogging while wearing the Ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A slow jog...my baby is 4 months and I'd like to go jogging with him in there. Does anyone do this?

Mama to two beautiful children

Boy, born 2/24/12
Girl, born 8/17/14
#2 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Personally, I dont think that would be safe. That is pretty much constant bouncing and I wouldnt be comfortable doing it.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM

No, not a good idea. Jogging is one of those times where a jogging stroller is a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#4 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Nope.  It could cause Shaken Baby Syndrome...same reason you should not use a baby trailer (the kind you pull behind a bike) until the child is a year old.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#5 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Alright then...guess I'll keep my jogging separate. Thank you!

Mama to two beautiful children

Boy, born 2/24/12
Girl, born 8/17/14
#6 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 PM

I love my jogging stroller, and it was cheap. It's a babytrend and it is super easy to navigate and easy to use for jogging. I don't really use my stroller a lot, but I got a jogging stroller because we live on land and I needed big wheels for grass. It works for both things.

Also, something else I've done is put babes on a quilt or in a bouncer and jogged the perimeter of my yard. No where near as fun, but at least I can get my exercise in, right?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM

I totally agree with the previous posters. I'm a die hard babywearer, but I also love my jogging stroller. We splurged on a 2nd hand chariot and it was totally worth it. Even with the stroller, you need to be a little careful jogging with an infant that young, but I think a slow jog on a smooth sidewalk or path would probably be OK.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#8 of 12 Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 AM

I know there have been cases of shaken baby syndrome occurring from someone jogging or running while wearing a baby.  I definitely would not do it.

Even with the jogging stroller, i don't think you are supposed to use it for jogging or running until around 6 months.   Some jogging strollers are compatible with infant car seats and you can pop a carseat in.  In that case, I think it might be safer to jog with a younger baby as long as you are on nice, flat, even, paved sidewalks or roads.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

I love to run and am just in the early days postpartum buy totally get that you want to get out there and jog! Just wanted to second the idea of a jogging stroller. I found a Baby Jogger on craigslist in perfect condition for next to nothing and can't wait to pull it out of the closet once DS is old enough!

Hope that you find something that works for you and baby. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#10 of 12 Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM

No.  I tried to jog to catch a bus once and stopped almost immediately--too jouncy.  And my DD is 10 months old.  I would classify it as "almost totally unsafe," as in, the sort of thing I would do only to escape a zombie horde or equivalent danger.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#11 of 12 Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 AM

Here is an idea for right now: you can climb stairs- up and down. You can also do squats. Always fasten Ergo snugly while keeping your torso nicely centered and your posture beautiful. Always rely on your core, and not on your lower back muscles. If you do Yoga, you can do a wide variety of squats while keeping your spine straight. You can do some butoh dance. You can tip toe walk. And in only 2 or 3 more months you can dance full on! I regularly dance with my DD in the mei-tai. And I do the bouncy folk dances from my country. I went to the big annual Balkan Dance fest when she was 8 months and danced my feet away in a line dance of more than 100 people. 

Don't stop moving!

Once spine and neck are sufficiently strong and well supported by musculature, movement will stimulate development.

ROTFLMAO.gif

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#12 of 12 Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM

I was wondering what ag was good for jogging with strooler. I thought maybe 6 month but more like 9 to 12 would be safer. I've been meaning to google it. I was asked by hubby I i jogged with or 6 weeks old 2 weeks ago. I told him no that would be shaken baby

DHcaffix.gif meteapot2.GIFDDfemalesling.GIFabout us 3 cats and 4 dogs goorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gifsaynovax.gifinthet.gifuc.jpg

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page