Dirty Looks - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleawicks View Post

Oh WOW you too. people are always telling me why they eat meat. I think sooo I didn't ask you to justify yourself for eating something I don't. Gee I don't justify eating a vegetable that most people hate. I just eat it.

Completely off topic, but I'm assuming your a vegetarian or vegan. I was once in a restaurant where the waitress was a vegetarian. I choose to not eat anything with hydrogenated oils for my health, so I always have to ask what ingredients are used and I say "I'm on a medical diet." It helps people not fake things with me for fear of a lawsuit. Anyways, she said that once she had ordered a vegetarian pizza and they brought it with pepperoni. She said "I'm a vegetarian, please take this back." They returned with the same pizza! They just removed the pepperoni - she still could see the grease stains. She said she would say "I'm on a medical diet" in the future as obviously not everyone is considerate enough of her choices. Thought this might help you if you ever had/have any bad experiences like this waitress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post

i'm so disheartened hearing of everyone's trouble with BW in public.  It really shocked me reading these posts since I have never received anything but positivity when wearing both of my kiddos.  Not long ago I had an elderly woman at Fred Meyer approach me and tell me she's glad to see women are carrying their babes again.  I have no advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry you all are experiencing this ignorance.

Me too, but in regards to breastfeeding. I am very discreet in public so I don't think many notice. I hate hearing about others having trouble in public. But a few months ago at a very large family get together I started breastfeeding my daughter (covered) and my grandmother said how proud she was of me for doing that. I think I was the only granddaughter who chose to BF. Every time she sees me she asks and smiles that I'm still doing it. Some older women are so accepting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

I thought of this thread yesterday as I received a chilly reception at the check out of Whole Foods while wearing my toddler. He was in a ring sling in a hip carry.

The cashier and bagger stared, didn't greet, not a single word. Finally I broke the silence and greeted them. It was really awkward especially since I see them regularly and they usually greet. I haven't had my son in the sling at Whole Foods lately though, but yesterday I didn't need a cart.

That's so sad. I love Whole Foods and they are so open to what's natural and alternative. That really surprises me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

It makes me sad too... honestly, for every weird comment I've gotten, I get ten or more positive ones. I get a lot from men too... some of them borderline inappropriate, mind you... like, "I wish that was me in that carrier" and "he's got the best spot in the house", and "he's so cute, just like his mama *wink*", but a lot of them are sweet too. I also get a lot of people who are originally from other places like Mexico or Africa, or even Russia and the Ukraine, who say things to me like, "You remind me of my country with your baby like that" and we get lots of warm smiles and people waving hello to my kiddo as he looks around. Also, I smile a LOT when I'm out and about... it tends to dissuade dirty looks. I try to just think about what a sad, sad life people must have if giving me a dirty look for BWing is the most satisfying thing they could think to do at that moment. :)

I'm in a similar boat. I live in Southern California and I think where you live really makes a difference in how you are treated. Everyone is very liberal and multicultural around here.

FYI: My first "multi" quote post, wanted to try it out. :)

#32 of 35 Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM

I've worn both my 4 year old and 2 year old in an ergo recently (they are small for their ages..but still).  I was out at home improvement stores and hiking on the beach. I didn't notice any dirty looks.  Honestly, I am so distracted I might not notice. But it would bother me even though I hate to admit it. 

#33 of 35 Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought of this thread yesterday as I received a chilly reception at the check out of Whole Foods while wearing my toddler. He was in a ring sling in a hip carry.

The cashier and bagger stared, didn't greet, not a single word. Finally I broke the silence and greeted them. It was really awkward especially since I see them regularly and they usually greet. I haven't had my son in the sling at Whole Foods lately though, but yesterday I didn't need a cart.

Just to counter my last reply.....was at the airport a week ago and my son was calm and content as we went through security. I held him in arms, as I had to run my ring sling through the scanner. When I got to the end, as I awaited my scanned items and then I took my sling, one of the employees said "Oh! That's why he is so content!". She immediately recognized a sling. It was very gratifiying smile.gif

#34 of 35 Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post

Yuck. I have had comments, but no outright dirty looks. I have been told that my baby can't breathe when they were slinged, and one time at the grocery store when I had ds in his ergo, some woman with a school aged child said, "oh for the love of god...here, billy, hop up on mommy's back and let me do all the walking for you. How ridiculous!"

LOLOL wow, I would have turned around and had words with that one!!

I have to say I've never gotten a dirty look.  Lots of smiling and 'oooh look a baby', lots of people comment on great it is for me to be hands free or how they loved using various carriers when they had babies.  I think I was more attractive to the loonies when I would leave her in her infant carseat and put that on the carriage at stores! 

#35 of 35 Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

It makes me sad too... honestly, for every weird comment I've gotten, I get ten or more positive ones. I get a lot from men too... some of them borderline inappropriate, mind you... like, "I wish that was me in that carrier" and "he's got the best spot in the house", and "he's so cute, just like his mama *wink*", but a lot of them are sweet too. I also get a lot of people who are originally from other places like Mexico or Africa, or even Russia and the Ukraine, who say things to me like, "You remind me of my country with your baby like that" and we get lots of warm smiles and people waving hello to my kiddo as he looks around. Also, I smile a LOT when I'm out and about... it tends to dissuade dirty looks. I try to just think about what a sad, sad life people must have if giving me a dirty look for BWing is the most satisfying thing they could think to do at that moment. :)

I haven't got my baby in my arms/sling yet but I am so ready to try it out! I would make a comment about baby actually looking more like hubby to guys like that. It's SUCH a turn off. orngbiggrin.gif

There's a lot of Russians and Mexicans here, wonder how it'll be.

Quote:

Just to counter my last reply.....was at the airport a week ago and my son was calm and content as we went through security. I held him in arms, as I had to run my ring sling through the scanner. When I got to the end, as I awaited my scanned items and then I took my sling, one of the employees said "Oh! That's why he is so content!". She immediately recognized a sling. It was very gratifying smile.gif

That's cool!

I've seen two ladies here wearing babies in the 4 yrs I've been here. Don't think I saw any in KY, OK or TX the total 28 years I lived there. Mom carried us in an old thing some, but mostly when hiking. The ladies I have seen here, one was tandem carrying toddlers last year in Safeway and the other was just last week, putting her baby in a Moby in the parking lot of Walmart. Didn't get to see her face, but I was hoping I could see her in the store. Guess we were after different stuff.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page