Baby does not like baby wearing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I buckled down and bought an Ergo. I feel like it is the most comfortable for me and easy to get baby in. However, I wasn't good about baby wearing when DD was newborn because I had such a hard time getting in and out of the Moby quickly, and she got lost in the sling.

So, now she is 4 months old and will only handle baby wearing for a few minutes and then she cries and cries until I take her out. I live in TX so I wonder if some of it is that she is hot.

I was wondering if anyone else eased their child into baby wearing or if she should just immediately "like" it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 AM

One of mine (also my summer baby, didn't really think about that before) didn't really like baby wearing. We had an ergo and a wrap, she wasn't thrilled with either. She was always a kid who needed her own space (of course now at 7 she is always in my bed and in my lap, but for the first year or so she seemed to need her space).

I would say keep trying. Maybe see if you can borrow another type of carrier, or try the wrap in a different way. The way she liked best was teh facing out kangaroo type carry. Also when I had her in the wrap I pretty much just left her in a diaper, tehre was enough cloth around her. I kept a spare outfit in the diaper bag in case she really wanted out of the wrap into the air conditioned mall in the stroller so she wouldn't freeze.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 AM

My daughter (now ten) never liked slings or carriers a whole lot. My son (now 12) loved them. I think for my daughter that she didn't like the feeling of being so squished. She's also very sensitive to textures and skin sensations, so it probably drove her nuts as a baby.

As a baby she did a little better with a baby backback, but I didn't use it as much because she liked to pull my hair.

She still demanded a lot of in-arms time and did just fine, even without being in a sling or carrier.
#4 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think around 4 months she might be more interested in trying to explore or be mobile than in being close and snug? Maybe try wearing her only when she's tired and ready to nap?
#5 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My sons never liked being worn passed 4-8 weeks. The older one always loved his personal space as baby and as a 16 year old now.

He loved his stroller and toys in it.

Not every baby like to be worn .

#6 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM

My dd hated the ergo until about 6 months, she loved the wrap, and the pouch sling, and the mei tai. At 6 months she started to like the ergo, but I still preferred the others. One kid I nanny'd only liked the pouch sling, never would go in anything else (his parents bemoaned the fact that he wouldn't ride in a bjorn). I think he didn't like being vertical, he always wanted to be curled up. My niece hated ALL carriers forever, but she ALWAYS wanted to be held. She was, and still is at 6, very high maintenance. The only time I got her into a sling happily was when she was around 1 or 1 1/2 and I used a pouch sling as sort of a seat for her on my hip, but didn't pull it up around her. Still had to use one arm to keep her from falling back, but it was better that nothing, I guess she didn't like feeling confined. Some babies just want to face out, maybe you could try that with the wrap so you can froggy her legs so she's not dangling.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#7 of 11 Old 08-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

It may be that she is not comfortable with her legs splayed. Perhaps a newborn insert for the Ergo? My other thought is

a sling, it may be more versatile (I know you like the Ergo though).

If you could try a sling, maybe cradle position (?) or she may like kangaroo carry, depending upon her development, anywhere from 3-6 months. It is forward facing though if that is a concern to you  http://zolowear.com/WearingKangaroo.aspx

#8 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My son has gone through some stages. He liked the moby as a newborn, but soon outgrew the feeling of having his legs together and trapped. I wore him face out in the moby and he liked that. He didn't like being in the Beco until about 5 months; now, and 8 months, that's still his first choice.

#9 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM

When do your DD cry? My DD cries when she is sleepy or feeling hot! ---this two are guaranteed. On our old carrier my DD cries and want to get-off of the carrier when she is feeling warm in it,. so I stop using that one. I replace it with an Action baby carrier, it is lighter than other carrier so I hoped that it will be cooler,. thankfully it is. She was even smiling at me when I wear her(I think she feels she is hug) and most of the time she sleeps in it-just like this afternoon.

Maybe you can try other SSC or other type of carrier that your DD might like. Or try changing your baby's position. When I tried back carry in ABC my DD loved it.. though my DD like front carry more than the back-carry..she adores me and hate it not seeing my face..lol

MOM's ARE SO BEAUTIFUL IN OUR BABY"S EYES!! lol 

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#10 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

my DS2 was like that.....until I discovered the buddha position.

well, in this site they call it kangoroo

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/baby-wearing/different-holds-babysling

Now, he is 5 and half months, and he enjoys the hip carry a lot.

we do both in a regular or a ring sling.

for long walks, we use a Mei tai......but he only likes to be in it if he is tired and wants to sleep.

I hope this helps. 

#11 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM

I have an Ellaroo and an SBP linen sling(much cooler for summer). My DS loved the wrap as a newborn. As he got older he went through a phase where he didn't like being in the wraps. At 3 months he really settled into loving being worn. We had to work on it and find what worked for him. At 4 1/2 months he seems to want his legs out so we have changed the way we wrap. We also have an ergo but the newborn insert plus my huge son are too much so we hope to use that without the insert when he gets older. See if you have a local baby wearing group or a baby wearing group on meetup or try a la leche league meeting. You might find some help there and different carriers you can try. A great website for wrapping ideas www.wrapyourbaby.com. We had to just keep trying and practicing until we both felt comfortable.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page