Making your own woven wrap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to start using a woven wrap as my daughter is just getting too heavy for me to continue using my sling. I have looked at many and they are all just a tad too pricey for me right now so I am thinking of making one and wonder if anyone has had good success with doing the same?

-Laura

wife of Ben

mommy to DS Dade 10/10/10 & DD Elloree 12/14/11

TTC #3

goorganic.jpg   h20homebirth.gif   saynovax.gif   homeschool.gif   blogging.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I'm thinking of doing the same -- figure some gauze may make an interesting wrap if I mainly want to try the style. I remember getting an off market wrap with DC#1 and it was a nice way to learn that I really didn't like a wrap for her. My second seems to like the Ergo so I think she may like a wrap. Let us know how it goes. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM

I made my own woven wrap out of gauze a couple summers ago. I think I used 5ft of it and just cut it in half along it's length so that it was not too wide. I hemmed the cut edge and the ends, though I'm not sure that you actually need to. I LOVED the gauze wrap for summer, but you have to wrap it pretty tight because of the stretch - I found it tended to sag after a while. It was certainly my favorite carrier until he got too heavy to be comfy in it!

#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM

I have a frien, she was made  wrap from linen one time, and it was ok:) 

#5 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM

100% linen can be great. It does take a while to get broken in and silky soft. But is certainly useable before then.

There are some nice cheap jacquard or twill woven tablecloths that make amazing wraps (just like the 'real' thing). You would likely need to cut them in half an do a safe seam in the middle (like a french seam). there are instructions on how to do that at thebabywearer.com. I found a nice tablecloth for 20$ at a discount home outfitters store and LOVE it. 

* evidence based crunch *

#6 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 AM

Hi, I have not made a wrap yet,. but maybe I will on my second. I have read from some thread about this and I think choosing the fabric is the most important part. There is even a thread that I've read that she has got her fabric for $1.50,.from a thrift store..that is such a great deal...lol $1.50 for a wrap! Too cheap,..just need a skill to determine if the fabric is good. Goodluck!!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#7 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM

You can also use onsaburg, which is similar to muslin. It is usually with the utility fabrics at fabric stores. It takes a bit to break in, but should work. You will need about 4-6 yards, narrow it up a bitnd hem the edges.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#8 of 9 Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Before having DD I made a wrap form a lightweight cotton. Having never used a wrap I didn't really know what I was looking for but it worked out OK and I used it for both children.

However if I were doing it again I would make it longer, I looked through a some size guides and went for the shortest, not quite believing how long some of them seemed to be, and it was always a little too short.

Because it was so lightweight I sewed it in half lengthways rather than cutting it, If I were doing it again I don;t think I would have bothered and the full width would have been handy for some carries.

#9 of 9 Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 AM

I made and used a woven gauze wrap for 3 of my babies before buying a Girasol for my most recent babe. 5 yards of cotton gauze (I used a heavier "crinkle cotton", not the really see-through, cheap gauze) and cut lengthwise, then I just sewed the cut edge and left the selvedge edges. It was worked great for newborn through toddler! I still use it as my back-up.  =]  Feel free to PM me if you want more details! This is the only pic I have of it, sorry it's not that that good.

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page