Slinging with bad back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-18-2004, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas,
I want to sling, but tried with my DD and put my problematic back out right away . That was with some generic sling, tho. Any tips?

TIA

Sandra
#2 of 5 Old 04-18-2004, 01:55 AM

I would go with one you could really spread out on your back or perhaps a wrap so you could sling on both shoulders. Or even 2 mamababies for double shoulder slinging. I think maybe a Asian carrier would work too in the back position. Lots of choices! The big thing is to get something that will distribute the weight well.

Oh one more thing! If the sling is too low it would cause back problems too. Try bringing it up higher, you dont want the lowest point to be any lower than your belly button. Goodluck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 5 Old 04-18-2004, 09:32 AM

ITA with Kristine! I would go for an ABC with wide straps (like, can you make a FrankenKozy? http://webpages.charter.net/dshiel0742/FrankenKozy.htm ) or a wrap. I personally don't like all the fabric involved in wraps, but I hear they are very comfortable. And I have an ABC that I made and when I wear a baby I can barely tell - even with my bad back. But wide straps are the key here...
#4 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, Mamas. Just wanted to tell you both that I tried a Maya sling and loved it, and have found one second hand. I am really excited to start slinging my DS - he's our last child and I am sad that I didn't sling with my DD .

Thanks again for responding!
#5 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
the ergo and sutemi (see both at www.peppermint.com) have straps for both shoulders and waist straps to distribute part of the weight to your hips. you might want to check those and similar ones out.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page