Do I go down the wrap rabbit hole just for babywearing around the house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

So, mamas, I am pretty content with my Maya ring sling and I'm very happy what my DC#2 (15 months) likes the stroller (awesome in the heat we've been having!). BUT, I had an Ergo for a second (before it got stolen) and DC seemed to really like it. I wasn't, however, a big fan of all the buckles. So....

That has me thinking I'd like a wrap but I'm so hesitant to go down that road for a kid that doesn't use a carrier as much as my first. And, our lifestyle has mostly DC in and out of a carrier for brief periods of time, which makes me think it will get little use (and, therefore, I may not get over the learning curve). 

But, but, but!!!  DC really does need some time on me in the day so I can get some work done. She's having some trouble entertaining herself while I do dishes and etc. and I think she would do well with some at home babywearing. For that, the ring sling isn't working because I don't think she likes it all that much.  

I wore my older child FOREVER (the last time I wore her was when she was 7!!) so I'd like to keep wearing this baby until she is much older. 

So, long story short - would you try to score a used wrap if you were in our place?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

So, long story short - would you try to score a used wrap if you were in our place?  

Yep. Would & did.

I used my Ergo and Kozy just for around the house constantly with babies 2 & 3. I swear that using one or the other for back carries was the only way I got anything done (or any sanity) when my youngest was a baby. It was absolutely a lifesaver during that phase where she seriously would NOT be put down.

Once I had her in the back carry I could cook and clean and do things with her older brothers and she could nap or just be happy to be with me. thumb.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 AM

I'd start by seeing if there's a babywearing group near you...they may have wraps you can borrow for a month to see if it works for you. But then yeah, I'd try to score a used wrap once you know what works.

#4 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

I would! thumb.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ya'll! I've been looking for a babywearing group in my town. Perhaps I'lll see about just buying some gauze. Any thoughts on the difference btw a homemade wrap and one of the professionally woven/designed fabric? 

#6 of 9 Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Location: Serving Jackson/Memphis, TN & Dyersburg, McKenzie, TN
Quote:

Thanks, ya'll! I've been looking for a babywearing group in my town. Perhaps I'lll see about just buying some gauze. Any thoughts on the difference btw a homemade wrap and one of the professionally woven/designed fabric? 

Just buy some cheap gauze that's sturdy enough and make a wrap that you can tie.  It takes 3-4 yrds depending on your size and needs to be at least 36 inches wide and seamless if possible.  Then there's no weak spot to worry about.  That's what I did for my youngest.  I had that and a Ring Sling - Both homemade and I was thrilled!  I could do any kind of carry possible!  Get the book Babywearing by Maria Blois - Amazon   

Or look up ways to wear babies online.  You'll find plenty of videos!  Just remember to never carry baby with his back-to-your-tummy.  Its very hard on his hips and spine.  A baby's body is made to hug your body, so he/she should always face your body, never away, with dangling legs!   Here are some safety tips:

~Ginny Mills  (Mom to 3-ages  dd-5(DIVA), ds-8(ADHD), & dd-18(Asperger's)

Doula/Childbirth & Parenting Educator & B.A. in Psych w/ Early Childhood Ed/Marriage & Family Counseling

#7 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For the up and down you're wanting I'd actually look for a cheap shorty (2.7-3.2 meters).  You'll get several back carry options with that, you won't have to unwind 4 yards of fabric every time LO wants down, and it sounds like your LO is probably past the point of front carries anyway.

Used shorties can be had for $60-$80 on the FSOT forums at thebabywearer and diaperswappers.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#8 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

An update -- 

I did get some gauze -- 1/2 price at the big box fabric store and used it over the festival weekend we just had. It was handy and DC seemed to like it. I loved the front wrap carry for the night she fell asleep and I carried her all around the festival with her head tucked nicely under one of the sides. It felt good, though I could still have done something very similar with the ring sling. What I didn't like was the length (I got 5 yards, which I think shrunk down a bit). It was so long and annoying! 

I love the idea of getting a shorty for just a back carry, though I did love the front carry over the weekend. Dilemma, dilemma!  ;-)  

As far as the gauze, I can see why a thicker fabric is preferable but the gauze was nice for the heat and for washing and drying quickly - it got muddy and beer soaked a few times - doh!  

Anyway, thanks for the help! It was nice to try a new type carrier. 

#9 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I love the idea of getting a shorty for just a back carry, though I did love the front carry over the weekend. Dilemma, dilemma!  ;-)

You can probably do a kangaroo or FWCC tied under bum with a short wrap, exactly how short depends on your size and the size of your child. 

I used to be able to kangaroo with 2.7m when DD2 was smaller, 3.2m may be enough even for a larger child, again depending on your size.  Your gauze would probably not be comfortable in a single layer carry but you could try using it to determine the minimum wrap you need for a one-layer front carry and then looking for a used woven in that size.  HTH

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page