reviews for Ergo please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give any reviews on the Ergo Baby Carrier line. Ive been debating between purchasing an Ergo but just want to hear others opinions on it. Also, are there any good places to purchase any used Ergo's that are authentic?

Thanks for your help!

#2 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I didn't love the ergo. In fact ive just sold mine. I found the base too wide for my LO for a long time. It extended beyond her knees which made her legs stick out and she didn't like that. By the time her legs fit (sometime after 6 months old) the back was getting too low to support her properly. The low. back made back carries too insecure for me to be comfortable with. My LO likes her arms out.

I also found it awkward to wear. The shoulder straps seem very bulky and, when done up tightly enough made it impossible for me to reach the clip at the back. Yes, I could loosen it each time but that's also awkward.

I much, much prefered the Beco Gemini which has an adjustable base and straps which cross over at the back. It also seemed to hug her better rather than bag around her body and the back support was higher.

I won't be getting another ergo but I wouldn't hesitate to get a new Beco.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 PM

I love it. Did not like it at all when DS was newborn, though, and really didn't like the infant insert. We sold it and bought a beco gemini, which I liked better at the time. The seat base on the ergo was definitely an issue for us when he was smaller, and we used a moby wrap more than anything the first couple of months. At like 4-6 months, I preferred the beco's adjustable seat width. I used that until DS was 10 months, and we lost it while on vacation.. greensad.gif when I got home and realized it was gone, I was in a pinch, needing to take him to work with me and having no carrier. DP ran out and picked me up an ergo (no beco at the closest store) and I LOVE it. It is far easier to put on and much more comfortable for carrying an older baby, IMO. DS is now 14 months, and we use it all the time.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 PM

I love and I mean LOVE my ergo!! If I could have only one baby wearing carrier, this would be it!  Granted, I have many others I use for specific purposes, but my ergo is my favorite everyday carrier from about 3 months and on.  By about 4 months I am able to put my babies on my back.  They are super tiny in there, but definitely safe.  

Maybe try craigslist for a used ergo.  I know there are websites online that teach you how to spot a counterfeit.  Personally, I would just buy one brand new as you will totally get your money worth!!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#5 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM

If you are going to get one they are not all created equal. I hate the ergo preformance carrier I borrowed from my SIL. I also found that Ergo's tend to have too high a back for my short shot. She's small for her age and seems to have a short body. Ergos cut into her face. 
I also had issues with the seat being to wide and not supportive enough. No matter how tight I had it she wound up in the waist belt rather than the seat. I think this is due to her being small though. 
Before you buy one if you can borrow one or try them on in a store I'd highly recommend it. 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#6 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM

I really like the ergo.  We also have a Boba, it's about the same price and you don't need a seperate infant insert, check that out too, they are not the same.

#7 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM

I LOVE my Ergo, and my DD is tall but skinny. She's about 28" and 14.5 lbs at 7 months. I've been using it almost daily since she was 3 weeks old  and unless we are doing errands with a lot of in/out of the car I prefer it to my ring sling. I am able to clip it myself (behind my neck) but I haven't quite mastered putting her in for a back carry. 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#8 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love my Ergo. I am currently using it with my second child. With my first I used it through her second year. This time I got the infant insert and really liked it, once I got the hang of it.

The Ergo is easy to nurse in ( with practice) and very convenient. It is the only carrier I could find that had a hood, which I use all the time. I have also used wraps but ultimately prefer the ergo.

#9 of 14 Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM

If I could have only one item to use with my kids, it would be my Ergo! I have had 4 babies and love it! I garden and farm and I constantly am on the go. It is so nice to just clip them on my back and get stuff done! I walk through stores wearing my babies ( yes I carry two at the same time) and mine are so much happier then if I were to put them in a cart. I have heard parents say that their kids don't like to be carried and that is because they don't do it enough. The more you carry the more they want to be carried.
Recently my youngest son had to take a trip to the ER for a head injury and he had to be strapped down for hours and couldn't move for over 3 hours. That is a long time for a 15 month old. I never left his side. He never freaked out. He was so used to being held tight that as long as I was close he was fine.
Anyways... I love my Ergo sport and couldnt do with out it!
#10 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM

I have an Ergo and I love it. I have a big baby, both in height and weight, and he loves being carried (and would choose to do so most of the day if I didn't get tired...). I however did not like it for newborns, so I used a Moby wrap until he was big enough to comfortably sit in the Ergo without the insert carrier. 

#11 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup! Love my ergo. I have big babies and can wear them at 2 months with no insert.... before that I just tuck the legs up. I have 6 carriers and like the ergo by far. I can still wear dd1 who is 4 on my back.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#12 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Love my Ergo as well.  I have a homemade wrap, ring sling and an Ergo, and for a slightly older baby I like it the best!  DD is long and thin (29'' and about 17 lb) and she fits into it perfectly.  My DH has even worn her in it.  I do manage to nurse her in it, so far I hate nursing in carriers/slings but the Ergo works best out of the three I have, for an older baby.  I am 24 weeks pg and can still carry her comfortably.  Also, the sleeping hood is the BEST!  Until a few weeks ago, when DD stopped napping altogether when we got out eyesroll.gif, I'd just cover her head, she'd suck her thumb and tuck her head down, and go to sleep.  I still haven't figured out how to get her onto my back myself, however. 

Married to the love of my life and SAH Mama to my little sweet pea (Sept 2011) and darling baby boy (Dec 2012) novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gifhomeschool.gif bfinfant.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#13 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

my hubby and i lov the ergo! our sweet baby loves it too! i can nurse while he is in it and it has a privacy hood so no one really even knows.  we purchased many baby carriers and this is by far our favorite. the infant insert we found sort of unnecessary-just roll some blankets underneath your baby to support him/her. i recommend the ergo to everyone!

#14 of 14 Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM

My ergo was my favorite baby purchase.  I wish I would have had it for my first.  If you're trying to save money, buy buy baby let me use a 20% off coupon.  It says it's not good on ergo, but I had another item and they still took it off the ergo.  Plus my grocery store gives you gas for buying gift cards and my credit card gave me extra cash back for shopping at the grocery store.  Ergo is mostly intended for 6mos+; I'm thinking about a ring sling for my next infant.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page