Baby loves being worn but only if I'm moving - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD2 is 3 months and loves being worn in the maya/moby/bjorn but only if I'm moving.  Even if she's really asleep as soon as I sit down or stand in one place for a while like in the kitchen prepping food, she wakes up and is not happy.  I think it would help if I was able to nurse her while worn but I have trouble doing it (never mastered it with dd1) plus she has an upper lip tie and I literally need to hold my breast in her mouth when nursing since she has such a weak latch.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Many times it's not a problem if we're out for a stroll or doing errands but this girl has a built in motion sensor and it's making this mama a bit tired.  thanks :)

\m/

#2 of 12 Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM

my first baby was like that also, i had to be moving all the time. i have no magical advice but i am wondering if you have someone who wouldn't mind wearing her and moving her around while you can catch a bit of sleep.

hang in there, this too shall pass.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 12 Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My son was the same way. I made speed rounds, passing through the rooms at a brisk pace. My nourishment consisted of whatever I could grab quickly off of of the kitchen counter and eat while moving!

#4 of 12 Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 PM

i did the same Asiago! i'd completely forgotten.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM

My DD was also like that, it is okey with me,.but when she gain weight as days pass I also got tired especially it really takes time before she goes to sleep (2-4 hours). So I change her sleeping pattern,.instead, I turn the lights off, closed the door and nurse her to sleep. And it works for me. Hope this helps!!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#6 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I went on a lot of long, slow leisurely walks. I carried bags of food and snacked as I walked for hours. It paid off! Three years later I am 35 days from a marathon. :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 AM

DS was like this as a baby - DH bought us a beautiful, antique rocking chair, and we just FINALLY started using it...after he was a year old, haha.  And mostly now for climbing and daredevil stunts!  When he was tiny, it was just not enough movement - so much for my idyllic visions of nursing a newborn peacefully in the rocker. winky.gif

I had to keep moving even during his naps for a long time, but it did get better as he got older!  I found he also went through periods of liking walking, superfastwalking, or dancing - all of these while I sang to him.  We were a bit of a public spectacle when out and about, haha.

I can't offer much help other than that as he got a bit older (can't remember just when, it's all a blur), I was able to sometimes nurse and rock him back to sleep in my arms while sitting down on the couch.  Alot of times, this involved me pretty much rocking my entire body side to side with him on me, to get enough movement (so, not really sure it's less effort!  But hey, at least I was sitting down...)  Maybe you could do something like that on the couch so that you could nurse a bit more easily?  

You may also find different carriers are easier to nurse in - I thought the Ergo was much harder than my ring sling, until I got the hang of it - then it was soooo much easier!  I also like the idea of a body double, so you can get a break, if you lil one will tolerate that (mine sure wouldn't).

Good luck, mama! hug.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#8 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Not alone, mama! My little one is just about 6 months old and can only be worn when moving. I attended a planning meeting a week a go, and had to stand and sway because she wasn't having it! It has gotten better as the months have gone by, where we can sit if she falls asleep. We couldn't for the first few months!
#9 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

DD was the same at that age.  At almost 10mos she still has a preference for movement, but is much more tolerant and I really only need to bust a move when she's on the verge of needing to nap but doesn't want to sleep and miss everything going on!  I have a hard time keeping weight on at this point, between nursing, chasing her around crawling/furniture cruising, and carrying her (22lbs), it's a whole lot going on!!  I think her need for motion deminished as I slowly desensitized her....slower/lesss motion once she was out like a light and i'd pick it up if she stirred until she was back out and I'd slow down again.

#10 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Yup, my baby was (is still) like that. We got an exercise ball that I'd sit on and gently rock or bounce while I read or worked on the computer. Very tiring but I credit all the movement with being able to shed all my pregnancy weight really quickly. It gets better... at nearly 9 months I still have to rock baby to sleep in the carrier but can put her down in the bed now once she's fallen asleep.

Also, have you considered getting the lip tie fixed? My sister's baby had lip tie and it caused lots of gas/reflux and weight gain issues when baby was about 4 months because she couldn't get enough milk... they clipped it and now she's doing much better. It was a pretty minor procedure. 

#11 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM

This makes me feel a bit better. My baby loves being worn too, but will throw a fit most of the time if I sit down. I can stop moving as long as I'm still standing. Once he's deeply asleep, I can usually sit down without waking him up, but not always. Getting him to fall asleep for a decent nap is a struggle. Bedtime can vary by as much as 3 hours depending on how long it takes him to actually fall asleep. Sigh. What gets me through it is telling myself that he won't always be this way. He's a happy baby, and all of this behavior gets me a decent work out, I guess!

#12 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Same here. My DD was like that till turning 4 months - no sitting down, no standing still for mama. Sometimes I ate while pacing around: had food distributed over several plates in several rooms, so I could have a bite on the go. My leg joints and back were aching so badly... Hopefully your baby grows out of this phase soon, too.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page