Stretchy ring slings, are they out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of ring slings made of stretchy fabric?  I found some from Zolowear, but are there any others out there?  And what about fleece pouches.  I think I had one from Kangaroo Korner years ago, but I can't find them anymore.

#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

My Hotslings fleece pouch was slightly stretchy - they don't make that type anymore but I have seen an adjustable fleece pouch in recent years. You may be able to find one second hand as well. 

As far as stretchy ring sings -- I feel like that may not be such a practical idea for some reason. I feel like the ring IS your stretch, IYKWIM. I also feel like stretchy knit would get fairly thrashed going through the rings. That's just my gut feeling on why you don't see many of those. 

Good luck! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I've got 2 Sakuras, the double layer linen I initially bought (and love) bc I wanted a bit more support, and the single layer linen I just picked up from their sample sale to have a back up, and something a little lighter for summer (also love!) and the single layer has a bit more give to it.  Not 'stretchy' but not so harsh that it doesn't conform nicely around DD.

#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

I don't think a stretchy ring sling would work very well! You need the fabric to be supportive since it is only one layer. Stretchy wraps have to be tied in a particular way to provide support to the baby. If anyone makes them, however, it would be the lady at Sleeping Baby Productions (you can find her on google). She custom makes slings in almost any type of fabric you can imagine. 

#5 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys:)  I saw someone using one as a belly binder when she was pregnant and  I thought it was a good idea.  And then to use with newborn and smaller baby.  I can see how it might not be the best option for a sling though.  

Is anyone familiar with how much stretch the Zoloewear has?

#6 of 6 Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM

I have made quite a few slings and wanted to experiment with a stretchier fabric.  I used a knit that is very similar to the Moby wrap fabric and made a sling with she same dimensions as my regular, non-stretch ring sling.  It worked great for the first few weeks with my son, up until about 10 or 11 lbs or so, but the fabric started slipping through the rings when he got much bigger than that.  The knit is not very grippy in the rings.  I wouldn't feel safe using it for him anymore, but boy was it comfortable for me while it lasted.  I loaned it to a friend whose little one isn't such a lunker, hoping that it will get some more use.  I have recently fallen love with woven wraps...but that is another post altogether. 

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page