Mothering Forum banner

How has babywearing made parenting better/easier for you!?

2K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  phathui5 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am a doula and family educator and am teaching a workshop on babywearing. I am looking for some quotes to share about why baby wearing is so important to people and how it has changed the way they are parenting for the better. Thanks in advance. Any and all responses are welcome. Pleased indicate if you are ok with me sharing your responses with my class anonymously!

#2 ·
I started out using a carrier as an easy way to take walks to DH's work with my then 4 mo old. It gave me 2 hands and was a lot easier than pushing a stroller through gravel. With my 2nd baby, I ended up using a ring sling as she was fussy, wanting to be held a lot. It IS possible to wash dishes one handedly, but the ring sling made life so much easier as she was happy and content, and I could get my work done. I believe it made her into a more secure child. She is now 2 and doesn't need to be worn anymore and is a friendly active toddler. I am pg with #3 and look forward to wearing this one also :) (baby wearing also makes it convenient to nurse while out, I just put a cover over the carrier and nursed away while shopping!)

#5 ·
DD was super fussy the first few months, but would fall asleep instantly while being worn. She's 10mos now and if she's a great baby, very easy going and I give credit to all the babywearing we do. Now if she falls and bumps her head, all I do is scoop her up, give her a big bear hug and a squeeze and it's an instant fix - off she goes on her next adventure. Even at 22lbs, it's been super easy to have her in a ring sling to get stuff done rather than carrying her in my arms.

#6 ·
I tried babywearing with my daughter, but the sling I had was big, bulky, and uncomfortable. She was a generally happy baby anyway, so I didn't use it much.

But when my son came along, he cried for hours a day. I bought a maya wrap unpadded ring sling and held him almost all the time for the first year or so. I couldn't have done it without the sling since he was such a fussy baby, that was the only thing that kept him calm. He liked being wrapped up tightly and carried, and the sling helped me do that while keeping my arms free to take care of my older daughter and do other things. It was handy for nursing too, since I learned to latch him on while in the sling and I used the "tail" of the sling as a cover. The sling proved to be my one "must-have" baby item with him.

#7 ·
My DD is very intense, very attached to me, and has always demanded to be held a lot. When she was very small, she would cry whenever I put her down or even gave her to somebody else. I wore her just to cope with it, and a lot of times to soothe her to sleep (she's a terrible sleeper). It was soothing to both of us, as I needed the exercise.

When we traveled internationally, our ring sling kept DD contentedly watching everything as we waited in lines for hours. She also sat (and still sits) happily in the ring sling during shopping trips. Especially if she's tired or not feeling well, she prefers the sling to sitting in the kid seat of a shopping cart.

Now that she's bigger--she's a year old now--she still wants to be held a lot and vastly prefers the Ergo to a stroller. She obviously feels it's a safe and familiar place, and when she really wants to be cuddled on a walk she'll go over and poke the Ergo, and then when we start walking she'll nestle her head down and go right to sleep.

I was never able to do a lot of household chores while wearing DD--she would protest pretty fast. But I can get in 5-10 minutes in a pinch, and sometimes when she's really cranky that's the difference between a smoothly running household and one in total disarray.

#8 ·
I find that babywearing has been a lifesaver for our family. DD (4.5 months old) has been worn in various wraps/carriers since birth and I honestly don't understand how people raise babies and get anything else done without wearing them! (I suppose the baby just gets put in a 'container' a lot instead). She's a generally happy baby but loves to be cuddled and is also very interested in what we're up to. We don't even own a stroller - we just wear her when we're out and about.

When I'm out grocery shopping, I just pop her into the ring sling and she's happy to look around at all the exciting stuff in the aisles. I love how easy it is to just put on the sling and off we go.

Going for walks (or even just hanging up the laundry) I've started wearing her on my back in a woven wrap. She loves it back there, where she can peek over my shoulder and watch what I am doing. Yesterday we had a nice walk and I stopped near some flower bushes so she could check them out and touch them. Back carries are the best for getting household stuff done, whether it's cooking, washing dishes, or dealing with laundry.

My husband also loves babywearing. Lately DD has been waking up extra early and DH gets up with her to let me sleep in a bit. He puts her on his back in the ergo and goes about his morning routine, and she seems to really enjoy it. It's a great way for them to get some quality time together even on the days he goes to work.

Babywearing is also really handy for those times that baby is fussy and nothing else will get her to sleep (sometimes even a boob in her mouth won't do). This is when I find the front carry in the wrap or the ergo most useful.

I would highly recommend babywearing to any new parents - start with a stretchy wrap like the moby, or a ring sling, and then see what works for you.

#9 ·
THANK YOU MAMA's! Such great feedback. Really glad to be able to incorporate these thoughts into the course. MY own story is very similar to yours. My son was born 3 months premature last thanksgiving. We did Kangaroo care, constantly while he was in the hospital, so big surprise when we came home, guess where he wanted to be....on his Mama's chest! Baby wearing has made my life functional. I used the moby or sleepy wrap and have just transitioned to using the Ergo more since he is big enough to be carried on my back.

I too don't know how parent's live without babywearing which is why I want to pass along this info. I take my son to work with me 4 days a week and am able to do this because I wear him a large portion of the day. It is incredible how content he is in there. His threshold for independent play is about 15 minutes and then its back into the carrier, but I am respecting him and know in the long run, babies who feel secure and attached grow up to be independent, confident ,and curious children and adults! My son is 10 months and we have never used a stroller, why lug it around when the wrap or ergo rolls up and can fit into any bag. Thanks again ladies!

#10 ·
THANK YOU MAMA's! Such great feedback. Really glad to be able to incorporate these thoughts into the course. MY own story is very similar to yours. My son was born 3 months premature last thanksgiving. We did Kangaroo care, constantly while he was in the hospital, so big surprise when we came home, guess where he wanted to be....on his Mama's chest! Baby wearing has made my life functional. I used the moby or sleepy wrap and have just transitioned to using the Ergo more since he is big enough to be carried on my back.

I too don't know how parent's live without babywearing which is why I want to pass along this info. I take my son to work with me 4 days a week and am able to do this because I wear him a large portion of the day. It is incredible how content he is in there. His threshold for independent play is about 15 minutes and then its back into the carrier, but I am respecting him and know in the long run, babies who feel secure and attached grow up to be independent, confident ,and curious children and adults! My son is 10 months and we have never used a stroller, why lug it around when the wrap or ergo rolls up and can fit into any bag. Thanks again ladies!

#11 ·
I have never intended to use a carrier before, but upon seeing my sister's situation (2toddler) became easier with a carrier so I had also buy one for myself. At first my carrier is just a acessory. I had even experienced to stop using a carrier due to backache and I thought it would be easier but when my DD rapidly gained weight, became more active specially in public and with my small body frame..a Carrier had been my savior. I had got ABC (Action Baby Carrier),.

With Carrier Benefits for me and Baby With_Out Carrier

*I bring a long my DD wherever I go *I will need to leave her home, and eventually be home w/ my DD having a red eyes due to crying.

*In groceries, I have the time to shop wisely *In groceries, I would be rushing in my shopping to be home as soon as possible.

*In shopping, I can have so many bags to carry after shopping *In shopping, I have so little option for carrying.

*In walks, me and baby can enjoy the sceneries *In walks, I would not be able to enjoy much due to my DD's weight and active energy.

*In walks, when my DD can sleep tighly and comfortably in the carrier *In walks, she won't be able to sleep comfortably in a changing positions.

*I have a very close contact to DD

These is just some of my benefits from a carrier, and hope this helps!

#12 ·
We can walk through the zoo without having to park our stroller outside each indoor exhibit. Highly maneuverable!

#15 ·
How has babywearing made parenting easier for me? As a single mom of a 5mo-old DD, living on my own (plus having a dog), babywearing is essential! Most importantly, it enables our connection or attachment to be fully lived out.

Dog walking is more fun for the three of us: the dog can walk off the concrete paths, DD can either enjoy the scenery or snuggle up for a nap, I dont have to manouver the stroller with one hand and dog leash with another one. Also, we are ready to go out much faster with a carrier than with a stroller - dont need to put on extra clothes on my DD, if it is cold outside, I'd just wear a big jacket and wear the baby underneath.

DD is rarely happy being put down for longer than 15 min. So, combining such stretches of independent play with carrying (either in front or on the back), I manage to cook, do the laundry, vacuum clean, water the plants,..just about anything. In the first couple of months, she wanted to stay on me practically all the time, so I even learned how to eat while walking her around. My friends laugh at my pride at being able to brush teeth with the baby in the sleepy wrap in front of me- and manage to spit out over her.

We also use babywearing for living room dancing every evening as part of the bedtime routine. It calms the active baby down and it makes mama's blood full of endorphins. Happy baby, happy mama.

It's very practical for shopping, too. Besides giving me time to choose and free hands to carry bags, I feel I can better protect her from all those energies at stores when she's on my chest. That little brain should not get overwhelmed by too much input (noise, visual input, smells, other people's energy...).

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisha Solomon View Post

Did the ABC carrier feel better on your back? What carrier did you use to use? I have an ergo and can only carry in the front for short distances. I would like to be able to hip carry or back carry. Thanks
Sorry for the late response but yes, ABC is great for my back maybe because of the strap and the hip belt whereas my babies weight is even spread on my back so no pressure is felt. I can also hip carry in it though I only use it for a few times but back carry is one of my favorite very comfy and DD loves it..she usually falls asleep in this position...lol

#18 ·
I had to return to work only a week after DS was born. I wore him in a ring sling for EVERYTHING but seeing patients... it kept us close, and i know it helped us bond more strongly. we are looking for a good back carrier now that he's a little older so i can have him back at the office again soon!

#19 ·
Wow...one week, good for you for being so resourceful in your case, that is one quick turn around. What are you currently using for a carrier now? I used the Moby for ever, as a front carry, and did occasionally use it to back carry as DS got bigger but I found it difficult to do on my own, and not really conducive to taking him in and out of it on my own. I use an ERGO to back carry now and LOVE it. It is So simple and I can easily pop DS in and out with out any assistance or spotting from another person. I am home alone with 14 month DS a lot so I needed to have a carrier that I could use alone. I **** front carry DS a lot too, bc he just likes it, but back carrying is easier for me to do when I need to accomplish household chores like cooking and laundry as well as for long walks/hikes. Hope that helps!

#20 ·
Wow...one week, good for you for being so resourceful in your case, that is one quick turn around. What are you currently using for a carrier now? I used the Moby for ever, as a front carry, and did occasionally use it to back carry as DS got bigger but I found it difficult to do on my own, and not really conducive to taking him in and out of it on my own. I use an ERGO to back carry now and LOVE it. It is So simple and I can easily pop DS in and out with out any assistance or spotting from another person. I am home alone with 14 month DS a lot so I needed to have a carrier that I could use alone. I **** front carry DS a lot too, bc he just likes it, but back carrying is easier for me to do when I need to accomplish household chores like cooking and laundry as well as for long walks/hikes. Hope that helps!

#21 ·

#22 ·

#23 ·

#25 ·
We LOVE babywearing in our house! I've worn both kids, but I wear my son far more often than I did my daughter. De is almost six months old and has been worn since day one.

So to break it up most efficiently....

Why babywearing is good for -

Me!

- Easy to hands-free nurse, or nurse discretely in public

- Great bonding between me and baby

- I have both hands free to do whatever I need!

- Great exercise

- Easy to keep son safe and sound and really cue into his needs

- Much easier doing things like grocery shopping, walking older kiddo to school, ect

- Strollers are, quite frankly, a PIA to maneuver around stores and such. Babywearing is a total cinch in tight spaces, crowds, ect.

- Son can fall asleep in ERGO quite easily, meaning I can enjoy activities with a sleeping baby on my chest and not have to worry about waking him up.

- Carriers in general are super cute! Really. They jazz up any "I just had a baby" outfit. Yoga pants and a tank? No one will notice with your adorable carrier and adorable baby strapped on the front of you!

- Easier to pop kiddo in and out of than getting a stroller in and out of the car at each stop (I don't know about ya'll, but I do a lot of errands around town and a car is a must in my city)

- Totally portable! I keep a carrier at home and one in the car. I can fit one in the diaper bag if I need to, travel easily with one, ect.

- Makes any activity pretty enjoyable because I get to bond with my baby!

- Way easier to do physical stuff - hiking, walking bumpy trails, walking through brush, ect.

- My six year old doesn't try to take off with the stroller. Babywearing allows me to keep baby safe from her eager, maternal hands and keep two hands open for her! She feels more included when she has a two-handed mama.

- I often see mamas pushing a stroller with one hand and carrying a baby with the other because the baby got tired of sitting in a stroller away from mom. Babywearing eliminates this debacle :)

Partner

- Provided a way for my partner and our son to bond

- Gave DP an efficient way to soothe our son, which in turn was way better for us as a couple.

- Allowed him really personal time with our son that helped them get to know one another and helped my DP become more intuitive to DS' needs.

- When I'm away, DP is able to put the baby to sleep really, really easily in the Ergo. It's less stressful for both us knowing that DP has it covered, and frees me up quite a bit.

- It eliminated a lot of jealousy DP had over DS when he was a newborn. Once DP was able to join in, he didn't feel so distant from DS and I.

- Alright, vain, but...women love a babywearing man, and my DP loves the attention :) He got stopped at Renn Fest by a woman who said "you are SO SEXY with that baby on your chest!"...what man wouldn't love that?

Son

- Gives him great bonding time with both Mom and Dad

- Allows him to see the world from the safety of Mom or Dad's body

- Makes him feel more secure going into new situations

- He is able to withdraw if he feels overwhelmed, and he also gets his needs met far more rapidly than if he were in a stroller.

- He has a safe place to fall asleep in a strange or new place, or even just out in public.

- He isn't pushed head-first into a crowd

- Instant breastraunt access

I'm definitely not a stroller hater (we have one somewhere!), but honestly, we just never need it. Babywearing suits everyone's needs and wants and keeps us pretty happy as a family. It makes baby happy, which makes mom and dad happy, which keeps us happier as a couple. It's a lifesaver to be able to share a lot of responsibility with DP and it helps keep us in check and feeling like we both chip in to help care for DS. It eliminated that power struggle between us, wherein I was resentful that I was doing so much and he was resentful that there was nothing he could really do, thus he felt left out. Now it's kind of DP's responsibility to wear him when he's around, and my responsibility to wear him when DP is not around. That means that I actually get a few free minutes ON MY OWN and don't have the guilt of my baby being left unattended or alone somewhere. Babywearing really is a win-win for everyone!

#26 ·
I don't mean to be a sour puss, but I just can't see how using a carrier is so much easier than a stroller. When I was pregnant I was very attracted to the idea of wearing my son. I have 4 different carriers and I love my moby and ergo. My issue was with shopping. If you aren't at a place with a cart do you lug the diaper bag around with you? What if you need to pee? Do you just pee while wearing the kid? It just seems so inconvenient. I wish that I could find more reasons to wear him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.