Ring sling help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been a committed wrap carrier user for the last 5 mths with DS, but he now seems to prefer the ring sling (takes way longer naps in it, loves that he can nurse to sleep).  However, I am finding it very awkward and uncomfortable.  It was made by a friend, and has kind of a folded shoulder that then fans out across my back. The shoulder is a little bit padded, I think because of the way the fabric was folded and then sewn.  It really pulls on my shoulder, and it seems as though DS is way too high in it (his head bumps the rings sometimes in the cradle hold.)  He also seems really crunched up in there when I try to tuck his head in, which means I have to leave his head out and support it...not ideal! It feels like the pouchy part of the sling is way too far back-on my opposite side, almost on my back.  I have tried threading/re-threading a bunch of times, have tried numerous different positions, but it still isn't working right for me!  I want to love a ring sling, since it is so much easier to nurse in than my other carriers, and DS really seems to like it now that he's bigger.  Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Is it just the way it's made? I think the pattern was a Sling-a-ma-bob...does anyone have this type of sling? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It may be the sling. I have a very basic sling that I love, but it seems like I've heard the most negative things about the more complicated ones or slings with shoulder padding. I don't remember if I used the cradle carry much after 3 months, I usually did tummy to tummy and my LO still managed to nurse to sleep. Maybe try a different carry and if that doesn't work out try a new sling? I think with baby carriers the more simple the better smile.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree that it may be the sling, you may not be doing anything "wrong".  The first sling I ever tried was a padded ring sling.  I didn't use it much because it felt big and bulky.  With my second baby I tried a different brand of unpadded ring sling, and loved it.  I felt like it was more fitted to my size, and I nursed my baby in it all the time.  The change in padding and style made all the difference.  We used it for about a year.

There is nothing wrong with getting a different sling or another type of baby carrier if this one isn't working out for you.  I think its a good thing that there are a variety of styles in the market today - there is something for everyone.

#4 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am a ring sling fan. Make sure the shoulder is sitting over your shoulder cap (not sliding into your neck) & spread the fabric across your back for max comfort. I rarely use the cradle carry anymore. I find the tummy to tummy is easier & then hip carries as they get older.

DoulaGinny likes this.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Tags
Babywearing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page