I guess I am just not a wrap lover - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-19-2004, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a Moby wrap and have also tried an Ellaroo. I sent the Ellaroo back but then decided to give wrap carriers another try so I bought a Moby wrap. I got in and I've decided I just don't have the patience for a wrap carrier. Which kind of sucks because they look so neat and seem to work so well. But I just cannot stand having to wrap myself in yards of fabric. I get really flustered and frustrated with it. The Moby wrap is way longer than the ellaroo i had tried and even that was long. I'm disappointed because I've heard they are so comfortable and I really want something comfortable for back carriers because my Mei Tai does not feel great for long periods of time. I have an Ergo on the way, maybe that will be my solution. Any ideas on the wrap issue or should I just give up?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm right there with ya, sista! I am wrap inept. I have a Didymos and an Ellaroo and can't use either. They are always falling on the ground, the ends are uneven and I eventually give up and grab a pouch. I'm thinking of selling them.
#3 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 01:11 AM

Same here! I have a homemade Didymos (and yes, it is made correctly, :LOL) and I can't use it at all. DS just never feels secure in it.
#4 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 01:16 AM

A couple of tips for tying wrap carriers:

1. Always put the wrap on by following one "rail" or edge of the fabric. For the moby, use the tag in the middle of the wrap to determine the top rail. The instructions for wrapping yourself with the Moby show the fabric bunched up. That is, imo, misleading.

2. When placing the wrap on your body, do not place the center of the wrap on your bellybutton. move it to one side or the other. This will make your ends more even. If I lined up the Moby tag with my bellybutton, I couldn't tie it at the side.

3. Try the hip carry just once before giving up on wraps. The instructions for the Ellaroo or Didymos hip carry at www.peppermint.com will work for the Moby. In fact, that's how I use it the most. Why not use my ring sling, then? because the ring sling causes numbness in my arm. The wrap does not.

If I can help you at all, please let me know. I really think wraps are the way to go. They are so versatile.
#5 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 01:21 AM

Um, if you really hate your wraps and they're like a size 7 didymos, and you feel like dressing up like Santa, I'll shamelessly beg for them. :LOL
#6 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 PM

I think the biggest thing with a wrap is not to get frightened off as soon as you pull it out of the package. It can seem overwhelming at first, but with a little practice it's a dream. But there's also the chance that you really aren't going to love wraps - not everyone does.

I think the Ergo is an amazing back carrier. Perhaps you'll have more luck with that.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#7 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 01:33 PM

I'm not a wrap user personally, just because I was way too in love with ring slings by the time I found wraps, but I do think they are neat and comfy.

The tying instructions for the Moby actually show it folded in half lengthwise, which some people like to do, particularly for certain carries.
#8 of 9 Old 04-20-2004, 04:10 PM

OK, mamas, I consider myself to be highly uncoordinated with slings (I never got the hang of my Maya, and I feel like such a loser!), but even I can get a wrap to be comfortable. DON'T GIVE UP!

First of all, I wouldn't attempt to do the back carry as a "first position." I'd do the wrap cross front carry to start with. Practice WITHOUT your DC several times so that you can get comfortable with the idea of the wrap. I also recommend what Tupelo suggested, which is to fold the fabric in half width-wise (the short way). . .it's much easier to work with that way.

Three words to live by: high, tight, and smooth. Start as high as you can. For example, when you bring the fabric around your waist for the wrap cross carry (the very first step) put it really high . . .much higher than what the model is demonstrating on Peppermint (esp. if your fabric is folded in half). As you're doing each step, smooth and tighten the fabric.

I do find that the wrap isn't something I'm going to use for a short walk, and I'm not yet comfortable doing the back carry out of the house. I still need to concentrate when I'm tying, and I'd find it too distracting to be out of the house to do this. I can handle doing the carry I mentioned above while out, but I tie it on before I leave the house.

Oh, and I'm considering sewing a little thread in the middle of my wrap as a marker . . .I do get frustrated finding the middle sometimes!

Keep trying!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-21-2004, 07:31 PM

If your looking for a easy wrap, try a hug a bub. I consider myself to be inept at things like this...and I am a pro now with my hab. You can screw it up all to heck and still use it with comfort. Plus they had this great video that came with it.. I watched it about ten times while I did my wrap with the woman on the video. It helps so much to see someone doing it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page