Exercises for slinging mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2004, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My six month old (!) is just starting to like the sling, which is a lifesaver since he just outgrew his infant seat and needs to be carried in arms at the store, etc.

However, I'm noticing some increases soreness in my neck, shoulders and back and would like to strengthen these muscles before they become a bigger problem (and my babe becomes a bigger babe!)

Any physical therapists, exercise trainers, or experienced mamas have suggestions for exercises to do for sling wearers?

Thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 PM

I can't say that I'm extremely experienced or anything, but I have had serious back issues, and I know what has helped me. I bought a Yoga for Back Care tape off Amazon, and it helped, but wasn't very intense, so I've just done more ab workout videos. When you strengthen your abs, it strengthens your back. It's amazing the difference. And when I get slack in my exercises, I can tell whenever I carry my son.

Hope this helps!

I just addressed the back issues...
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 AM

When I first started wearing DS I noticed that my back would ache if I slung him for a couple of hours.

Well of course it would!!! Work up gradually a little each day and it won't hurt. Now I can sling him for a long time and not even feel it.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:22 AM

I agree with yoga, it really helps to improve your posture and strengthen muscles. Strengthening stomach and back muscles will improve your posture which will help with back aches.

User Tag List