Help to narrow down the options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm expecting #5 in a few months and want to continue babywearing this time, too. I had Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouches with my first four, but gave them away since the twins outgrew them. I have never liked the Baby Bjorn, as it does not feel like a natural, comfortable position for me or the baby. I also do not prefer ring slings.

I see a lot of positive comments about the Moby, but am concerned with it being complicated to get on/off. I will have two 3.5 year olds in tow as well as the infant (and two older kids, LOL), so ease of use gets a strong vote. As does safety - looking back, I wonder if my kids were borderline not breathing in those KK slings... luckily they all seem OK now!!

Anyway - I know KK is out of business, and I know that safety concerns/issues have changed the market for pouches/slings. Could someone make a few suggestions to help me narrow down the options - there are so many on the market now, many more than there were 9 years ago (!!) and I'm not sure where to start.

Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If you go with a moby you can certainly keep it on all day and avoid the on/off, just snug it when you put the baby in.  It's got a alot of stretch but I was able to get my DD in and out several times a day rathern than taking the whole thing off.

#3 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
A soft structured carrier is usually very easy on and off. I have used both the ergo and Beco Gemini and hands down prefer the Beco.

The Moby is lovely for the newborn stage but they grow out of them fast so it depends how many carriers you want. A woven wrap will last as long as you want to baby wear but will need more adjustment. They are pretty quick to put on though, once you get the hang of your favourite carry.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM

I hated the Moby because it took a long time to get on/off and my baby would just SCREAM--she was very fussy.  Also, she was very small and wriggly and it didn't feel very safe to me--either she slumped down (scary!) or she flipper herself halfway out.  Next time, I'm using a ring sling for the early months (I know you said you didn't like them).

When DD was 5 months old I bought an Ergo, which is a soft structured carrier, and it's GREAT.  I highly recommend it, even though it's not so good for the really small stage--you have to use an insert (which you buy separately) to support the head, and I thought it was a little fiddly.  But it works.  And it's great for a long time--my DD is 14 months old and we still use it all the time.  You can snap it around your waist and leave it there, and then putting the baby in and out takes about 5 seconds once you get used to it (it'll take longer the first time).

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#5 of 7 Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

A soft structured carrier is usually very easy on and off. 

I agree, SSC is really easy to put on and off. SSC can also be used for a newborn with a help of inserts or blanket to make the babies higher though I may also suggest a wrap for a newborn then just switch to a SSC when your baby is bigger or have a little head control.

I"m a SSC (Action Baby Carrier) user, a lightweight SSC so it is cooler and comfy. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#6 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Shamlessly bumping myself back up, with 6 weeks to go and new info :)

My SIL is going to give me her MOBY wrap to use with the newborn - yay! So I can try it without a big investment.

I also got back one of the two adjustable fleece pouches from Kangaroo Korner than I had with my older kids.

Questions:

1. Is the KK fleece pouch truly safe? or should I throw it away? There used to be YouTube instructions of safe wear, but I can't find anything great anymore - which makes me nervous, as I certainly could use a refresher on safe use.

2. I still want to buy (hopefully at the second-hand store nearby!) some variety of carrier to use after the MOBY ... my list includes the Ergo and the Beco so far (based on what you guys have said above). There are about 10 Baby Bjorns at the consignment store, but I am resisting that temptation, as I don't think I will like it any better than I did seven/eight years ago. What are the primary pros/cons of either that a new user might not know?

Thanks so, so much!

#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM

To respond to your questions:

1- A Pouch can be safe if you ensure good positioning and are alert to your baby at all times. I just did a longer response on this exact question here.

2: Baby Bjorn: cons: baby dangles from crotch, weight pulls on wearer's shoulders, front facing out, cannot use on back, baby won't fit for long. Pros: available, used are cheap

Ergo: cons: many knock offs out there (make sure it is safely stiched, etc... be alert to 'too good to be true prices"), new born needs a craddle-positioner that is hot and weird (IMHO) PROS: comfy, good positioning, front/back carries, pocket for extras, good hood

Beco (butterfly2): cons: I've heard some bigger mom's find uncomfortable, a little more $ than ergo. Pros: comfy for many, good positioning, nice newborn insert (included) that gives great positioning, baby sandwiched b/w layers (not as weird as this sounds) making learning to back carry easier and easier to quickly switch b/w wearers, higher support for baby, good hood, nice patterns, good resale

Beco (gemini): per beco butterfly but also: pros: can front face out (only a pro if you are into that), can be cinched narrower in crotch for smaller babies cons: babies tend to outgrow faster than butterfly2

*** honestly Ergo and Beco are great carriers. Some people prefer one over the other. I love my Butterfly2, cannot stand the fit of the Ergo. Good friend of mine is the opposite. If you can try both out and make your decision. Both can be purchased used for a deal on thebabywearer.com and the babywearing facebook swap, etc...

* evidence based crunch *

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page