Wearing giant babies? It hurts! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 8 months/23 pounds. Big guy who has finally decided he loves being worn. I wear him 3-4 hours a day now. Only problem is that my back/shoulders/hips are killing me! We use an Ergo. What are my other options for wearing my big little guy?
#2 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM

I don't know - My little one is also 8 months and 20+ pounds, and I use the Maya Ring Sling - She faces forwards in the kangaroo pouch sort of way and I don't have any problems as of yet. The sling distributes weight across my back all right. Could be that I'm just used to her weight by now, but I love taking walks with her and seeing how excited she gets to be outside - she jumps in the pouch and all! Good luck to you though, soon they'll be walking!

#3 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM

My SIL had a similar problem with her little chunky monkey too. He was probably about that size at that age. Good news is he didn't really gain once he got mobile. He topped out about 26 or 28 and has stayed there, getting taller. She usually used some big chunky back pack style that had a frame that could be set on the floor and used that way. No clue what it was called and she's out of town or I'd ask her.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM

My guy isn't particularly big, but I found as he got heavier, the Mei Tai was amazing!  Now I wear him in it on my back, but even on my front it's still comfortable.  It's completely adjustable so you can get them really close to your body, which helps a lot.  I still use the ring sling, but not for our long walks.  

#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Do you do the back carry with the Ergo? That might feel better than front carry. THo honestly with my older son, who was almost 40 lbs at that point, I just gave up! He stopped liking being carried at that point, so it worked out.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#6 of 10 Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The heavier the baby, the closer they need to be to your own center of gravity for comfortable wearing.  I'm not sure this is achievable with an SSC.  Someone up above suggested a mei tai which I have no experience with but sounds like they might work.  Personally I use wovens and they are great for this - the baby is wrapped right onto your body.  A back wrap cross carry might work well for you, the baby sits relatively lower and the weight is distributed over you.  Double hammock is another extremely comfortable carry. hth

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#7 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM

My contrbution wont help you one bit but it‘s just a piece of info i always share.
We have got a lot of carriers & slings in the market but here in Africa we use a 2 1/2 yard piece of cloth, put the baby on our backs and just wrap around. Its most comfy, even with large babies. Wish you luck though in finding what suits you.
#8 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM

My son is almost 9 months, weighs the same.  I use a homemade moby style baby wrap.  I usually have him facing me. I haven't had issues with my back or shoulders while using it, but my hips do start to hurt after a while. I also have an infantino carrier (similar to bjorn) but I find that one has been really uncomfortable since he hit the 15 lb mark.

#9 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM

All three of mine were big kids, they came out that way and just kept on going. I have found the most comfortable carrier for me (and I have tried a few) has been the Beco Gemini..I still use that with our third who is now nearly 10 months and I put her on the front or back for long periods of time during the school pick up/ drop off/ play time and I am nearly always comfortable. It has been a life saver I'm not sure how I would have wrangled my other two kids by myself during the week without it!

#10 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian mendos View Post

My contrbution wont help you one bit but it‘s just a piece of info i always share.
We have got a lot of carriers & slings in the market but here in Africa we use a 2 1/2 yard piece of cloth, put the baby on our backs and just wrap around. Its most comfy, even with large babies. Wish you luck though in finding what suits you.

I second this.  I've used a lot of carriers, and the one that stayed comfy over the largest weight range was my kanga. 

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page