"Are you a LLL member?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to a luncheon on Saturday and wore my son in my KKAFP and later on, in the Maya Wrap, got loads of comments (all positive- except one woman who told me that I needed to be sure to let the baby "creep" or else he'd never walk right-- to which one of my fellow board members said, "this is her third child- I think she knows what she's doing" ), anywho- one older man (60s, maybe?) came up and said, "Are you a LLL member?" and I said "card-carrying, why?" and he said, "my wife was a LLL leader and she was always carrying our kids around in those contraptions and got lots of attention for it as I see you are.":LOL I thought that was funny, esp. b/c so many women in his age group had been telling me that they wished they had those when they were raising their kids - as it turns out- evidently "they" did have them, these women just never saw them.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#2 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 12:51 PM

:LOL

Although I'm not a LLL member, I'm a member of a local nursing group - and we're having a sling demo at the next meeting! Maybe more women would babywear if they were exposed to it in such a positive manner, where it's seen as something normal and not so out there!
#3 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 03:42 PM

My local LLL participated in our Canada Day parade last summer. We all wore our slings as we walked along the parade route. It was fun, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 11 Old 04-20-2004, 07:09 PM

I went to an LLL conference and saw so many slung babies. I even saw a couple of grandmothers carrying babies! One wore a wrap the whole time and sometimes had the baby and sometimes not. It was so cool.
#5 of 11 Old 04-23-2004, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Abigail, were you at the one in Santa Clara at the Marriott last week? I was there. There was one grandma buying a Moby Wrap so she could carry her grandchild over the weekend. I ended up buying a Moby Wrap at the very last minute.

I was talking to some of the ladies in the spa Sunday night, and they said that they heard comments from some of the teens there for the music competition about all the slings. "Oh, that's just how they carry their babies around...my mom never did that...my mom used one too." So funny!
#6 of 11 Old 04-23-2004, 04:10 PM

no i'm not, but i should be! we need more breastfeeders around here and more support resources for them.

i find it funny that babywearing is associated with breastfeeding. i know alot of moms that bottlefeed and are diehard babe wearers.
#7 of 11 Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amywillo
Abigail, were you at the one in Santa Clara at the Marriott last week? I was there. There was one grandma buying a Moby Wrap so she could carry her grandchild over the weekend. I ended up buying a Moby Wrap at the very last minute.

I was talking to some of the ladies in the spa Sunday night, and they said that they heard comments from some of the teens there for the music competition about all the slings. "Oh, that's just how they carry their babies around...my mom never did that...my mom used one too." So funny!
I was, Amy! I wonder if it was the same grandma. I bet it was.

That's funny about the teens. I was sitting in a session singing songs about peace and I wondered if the other people in the hotel were just rolling their eyes at all of us.
#8 of 11 Old 04-23-2004, 10:37 PM

I am a LLL member. A meeting was the first time I ever saw someone use a sling. DS1 was 2 months old then. I ordered mine the next week.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#9 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by abigailvr
I was, Amy! I wonder if it was the same grandma. I bet it was.

That's funny about the teens. I was sitting in a session singing songs about peace and I wondered if the other people in the hotel were just rolling their eyes at all of us.
Was it a blue Moby Wrap?

Doggone, were you in the early bird session where we got the glow necklaces and roses? And Betsy Rose was singing the songs about mothers in Iraq. I think we were all crying.
#10 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
i find it funny that babywearing is associated with breastfeeding. i know alot of moms that bottlefeed and are diehard babe wearers.
Where I live and have lived it seems like there are a lot more breastfeeders than babywearers, and most of the babywearers I know are in LLL, but a lot of breastfeeders say they could never get the sling to work for them. Unless it is a Baby Bjorn--those seem to be independent of breastfeeding. Actually, two moms at my daughter's preschool use slings (OTSBH) and aren't in LLL. I thought that was cool when I saw it. One of the mom's had a hombirth.
#11 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywillo
Was it a blue Moby Wrap?

Doggone, were you in the early bird session where we got the glow necklaces and roses? And Betsy Rose was singing the songs about mothers in Iraq. I think we were all crying.
I thought it was pink, but now I'm not sure.

Yes, I was! We were totally all crying. My poor very pregnant friend Michele burst into sobs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page