Help me pick a wrap/explain some differances - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to babywearing and really excited about everything I"m learning. Being able to clean and feed my son at the same time makes me feel a bit like superwoman :-) Until now I've been using a mei tai and a ring sling. I recently discovered that I love wraps, but when I started looking into picking a couple, I just about lost my mind. What the heck? All the different weaves, materials, styles. Yep, I'm kind of lost. So here's where I'm asking you o help me. The first wrap I tried was a Vatanai (red whales I think). I liked it a lot. Thin enough to tie easily, but still supportive and didn't feel slippery, So I guess what I'm looking for is a cotton wrap that's on the thinner side and can be used in NE Ohio summers (it gets crazy hot here) and preferably winters as well (ditto cold). I plan on wearing my son regularly until at least one year, and then whenever he wants after that. Colorways aren't a huge deal. I like rainbows/stripes and anything with blue/green/watery hues.

Second topic: What differences do you see in a wrap based on the weave? I know the diamond waves look beautiful, ut is there a purpose to it other than that? What are the main differences in the fabrics? Feel free to add any other tidbits you think a new wrapper should know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Ooooh. I'm looking forward to the responses on this one. smile.gif
#3 of 14 Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
BUMP orngbiggrin.gif I'd like to know too

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#4 of 14 Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyMe View Post

I'm new to babywearing and really excited about everything I"m learning. Being able to clean and feed my son at the same time makes me feel a bit like superwoman :-) Until now I've been using a mei tai and a ring sling. I recently discovered that I love wraps, but when I started looking into picking a couple, I just about lost my mind. What the heck? All the different weaves, materials, styles. Yep, I'm kind of lost. So here's where I'm asking you o help me. The first wrap I tried was a Vatanai (red whales I think). I liked it a lot. Thin enough to tie easily, but still supportive and didn't feel slippery, So I guess what I'm looking for is a cotton wrap that's on the thinner side and can be used in NE Ohio summers (it gets crazy hot here) and preferably winters as well (ditto cold). I plan on wearing my son regularly until at least one year, and then whenever he wants after that. Colorways aren't a huge deal. I like rainbows/stripes and anything with blue/green/watery hues.

Second topic: What differences do you see in a wrap based on the weave? I know the diamond waves look beautiful, ut is there a purpose to it other than that? What are the main differences in the fabrics? Feel free to add any other tidbits you think a new wrapper should know. Thanks!

Answer to second question first.  Weave pattern often dictates support. With a woven wrap diagonal stretch is considered to offer the most support for the wearer and the wearie. This is found in most cross twill weaves. Other jacquard weaves may not offer the same across the wrap diagonal stretch and support. I find the lighter the weight of a wrap the harder and sometimes more frustrating it is to wrap with.

Cotton, cotton linen blends, and cotton silk blends often will be the lightest weight and offer the best breathe-ability. 

Those manufacturers would be Vatanai, Didymos, Storchenwiege, Hoppediz, Girasol and Wrapsody Baby all come to mind. There are other manufacturers I have just not used them to say one way or the other about them. 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#5 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM

I am a babywearing fanatic and I really like the sleepy wrap brand. It is basically identical to the Moby, but thinner and has a tiny bit of stretch. It works great in warm weather. It is very easy to tie, and it keeps it shape so you can pop baby in and out all day long as needed. My son is a year now and i find I use my ERGO a lot which we both love. He likes being perched on my back so he can see all the world around him. Happy Baby wearing!!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#6 of 14 Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiffanyToo View Post

Cotton, cotton linen blends, and cotton silk blends often will be the lightest weight and offer the best breathe-ability. 

Those manufacturers would be Vatanai, Didymos, Storchenwiege, Hoppediz, Girasol and Wrapsody Baby all come to mind. There are other manufacturers I have just not used them to say one way or the other about them. 

Hmm, also interested in this. Any ideas about which of those types would be most affordable? Of the brands I've looked at in the list, Wrapsody seems to be the least expensive. I tried one the other day and liked it, but still not sure $80 is in the budget, especially since I already have an Ergo.

Mother to one baby. Wife to one husband. Trying to fight the good fight.

#7 of 14 Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Try the following places for wraps under $100.00

craigslist,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/ 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196221090408274/

Thebabywearer.com the For Sell or Trade Forum

Ebay.com all of these places would be good places to look for a used wraps.

BBSlen maybe a good choice fro brand new under $100.00. 

You can google for instructions on how to make a woven wrap from a tablecloth.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#8 of 14 Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Here are two others 

Colimacon et Cie Miel et Malice

Natibaby also

#9 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. I stalked the Facebook swap and snagged up a Girasol DW Donau and I love it!
#10 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the links - I've been checking Craigslist with no particular luck, but just joined the FB group. Maybe it will yield better results!

#11 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM

I like karri-me.  http://www.kari-me.com/  I used it until my youngest was 2 and, although I have back problems, it found it to be great support.  I remember nujrsing him in it when I needed to be at a doctor's appointment and he decided it was milk time.  I remember a teenage boy peering in and calling his mum over to see the cute baby having his milk!  And later he could go in an outward fold - I remember taking him to the zoo that way so he could see everything!

#12 of 14 Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 AM

I was also interested to use a wrap for my second this thread is such a great help!Thanks!

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#13 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM

I ended up getting a GypsyMama Bali Breeze wrap from DiaperSwappers. So far, I like it, and my LO loves it and falls asleep in it a lot if I walk around. Problem is, I can't really take him out of it once he falls asleep - and I'm not good at putting it on without dragging it on the ground. :P But It's a good cheap introduction into wraps. If I learn to use it better, I might invest in a more expensive wrap at some point.

#14 of 14 Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANannyMoose View Post

I ended up getting a GypsyMama Bali Breeze wrap from DiaperSwappers. So far, I like it, and my LO loves it and falls asleep in it a lot if I walk around. Problem is, I can't really take him out of it once he falls asleep - and I'm not good at putting it on without dragging it on the ground. :P But It's a good cheap introduction into wraps. If I learn to use it better, I might invest in a more expensive wrap at some point.

What carry are you using?  Some carries are much easier to remove without waking the baby than others.  Multipass carries are generally harder to remove; but single-layer carries like kangaroo and FWCC TUB are very easy to remove for example - just untie the knot under baby's bum, lean forward over surface while loosening carry, lie baby down on surface, remove straps from your shoulders and use them as baby blanket.  Works much better than removing baby from an SSC because they stay in the warm wrap and don't experience any temperature change to wake them.

Wraps drag on the ground, it's a fact of life.  I prefer to use shorties (2.7-3.2 meters) for this and other reasons.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Babywearing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page