maya wrap 101 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd is 7 weeks and weighs probably 13+ lbs. I have a maya wrap sling which I loved for the first few weeks I used it but now that dd's bigger & heavier I'm struggling with it.

1) I carry her in the vertical newborn position & just recently the kangaroo carry and it's starting to be hell on my back. I know it must be possible to carry a heavier baby for long periods but how? How do you arrange the sling across your back so you don't get middle back pain? At what height do you like to position the baby in front?

2) I'm having trouble with the shoulder cap/rings. I like dd to be centered on my torso; this seems to allow me maximum use of both arms. If I position the rings low enough to get a nice wide shoulder support that doesn't cramp me up, I find that the pouch left to place dd in is pretty small (cut off by the tail entering the rings). If I shift the rings up higher so she has more space, I find the sling cuts into my shoulder and I end up in serious pain. This "shoulder cap flap" business is no help at all -- I have to unfold it to its max to help, and then the sling is all weird and bunchy across my back (see problem 1). What am I doing wrong?

3) In order to move dd any higher than dangling down by my waist, I again have to pull the sling short enough that her pouch space is cut off by the tail entering the rings! How do you adjust the sling tighter and keep the rings where you want 'em without running out of pouch room?

I have the instructional dvd and I'm going to find it & watch it again but I'd also love to hear from other mamas how they do it. I gather that to a great extent it's finding what works for you individually.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definately watch the DVD! It'll help alot!

As for back problems make sure it is spread out evenly and wear her up higher. If she is too low then you will have back pain. The closer in to you and the higher up the less back pain. Your problemwith the shoulder cap and the back spreading is probably related. The edge of the shoulder cap flap should be your bottom edge of the pouch. Try reachign behind you with your opposite hand and tugging down on the bottom edge near your hip (opposite of sling shoulder). Try placeing the rings about 3 inches below your shoulder and turn the shoulder cap out, trace the fabric to make sure it is the bottom edge and spread evenly. To tighten the sling without the rings moving pull up and outwards.

If you are a left shoulder wearer it may be slightly different becasue tehre will be 2 ways to wear the shoulder cap, the most comfy being upside downand pull it out from undernieth.

Another thing is what size is your Maya wrap? If you dont mind a longer tail I suggest a size XL (and possible a L) because the shoulder is wider and might work better for you if you have broader shoulders or prefer wider shoulders. You can probably exhange it if you need too.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by girlndocs
1) I carry her in the vertical newborn position & just recently the kangaroo carry and it's starting to be hell on my back. I know it must be possible to carry a heavier baby for long periods but how? How do you arrange the sling across your back so you don't get middle back pain? At what height do you like to position the baby in front?
The baby should be fairly high. A newborn's head should really rest on your sternum, above your breasts. That keeps your center of gravity from getting thrown out of whack and keeps your back from having to so much work.

Quote:
2) I'm having trouble with the shoulder cap/rings. I like dd to be centered on my torso; this seems to allow me maximum use of both arms. If I position the rings low enough to get a nice wide shoulder support that doesn't cramp me up, I find that the pouch left to place dd in is pretty small (cut off by the tail entering the rings). If I shift the rings up higher so she has more space, I find the sling cuts into my shoulder and I end up in serious pain. This "shoulder cap flap" business is no help at all -- I have to unfold it to its max to help, and then the sling is all weird and bunchy across my back (see problem 1). What am I doing wrong?
The last part about the flap makes me think that your sling may have gotten twisted when you threaded it. Does the pocket sit on the outside or the inside of the tail? If the pocket is on the inside, the fabric got turned around and that is causing the bunchy problem.

Quote:
3) In order to move dd any higher than dangling down by my waist, I again have to pull the sling short enough that her pouch space is cut off by the tail entering the rings! How do you adjust the sling tighter and keep the rings where you want 'em without running out of pouch room?
It's a good idea to try to get the sling almost as tight as you want it before you put the baby in. Major size adjustments with the baby in the sling will be tricky. One way to keep the rings in the right spot is to pull the tail up and to the side, outward from your shoulder to tighten, rather than pulling it down.

I definitely think the DVD will help somewhat. I hope my tips helped a bit too. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:22 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure the only difference between sizes in the MW is length.

But it does sound like your sling is twisted. Kristine is right--make sure the outer edge of the shoulder cap stays on the bottom all the way around, or if you wear it on the left shoulder, on top. This means you must flip the flap over BEFORE threading your sling. This is Maya Wrap mistake #1 that most people make. If you don't do it, both fabric edges are on the same side, so where's the baby gonna go? There has to be some twistin' to create a pouch unless you thread correctly.

Also, the rings need to stay up where a corsage should go. Here's a good tip site:
http://www.friendlyvillage.com/lotso...ling/tips.html
Old 04-20-2004, 09:25 PM

The XL has a wider shoulder because the pleats are bigger on it. The other sizes have the same sized pleats.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by abigailvr
The XL has a wider shoulder because the pleats are bigger on it. The other sizes have the same sized pleats.
Yup. I was talking to Susan about the shoulder width and I thought she said L is a little wider too but I know for sure XL is wider. And for someone like me it does make a difference.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 PM

Hey, you learn something new every day :-)
Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tupelo Honey
Hey, you learn something new every day :-)
We all do! LOL.. there are too many slings out there to keep track of!

Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

OK.

I've watched the dvd and I'm dead sure my sling is threaded & put on correctly. It's an XL btw, supposedly so my big dh can use it :

Quote:
The edge of the shoulder cap flap should be your bottom edge of the pouch. Try reachign behind you with your opposite hand and tugging down on the bottom edge near your hip (opposite of sling shoulder).
I am trying to make sense of this, across my back it works OK now, but at what point ought that edge flip up to be the INNER rail of the pouch in, say, a kangaroo carry? Flip up it must, otherwise there's no "cup" to put her in.

The shoulder flap won't go in any position but "all the way in" or "all the way out" and all the way out restricts my right arm terribly and digs into my side at the point where it's flipped up to become the inner rail. Plus, if the edge closest to my neck is up high enough and snug enough to support her weight high on my back, it digs into the side of my neck on the right and my armpit on the left and won't reach up over her head to support it while she sleeps (stopped by my armpit).

Also, when she's in the vertical newborn position, her head *is* on my sternum, but she's long enough that that means her seat, thus where I feel her center of gravity, is just too low. And I still can't get it pulled snug enough without her "running out of room" -- on the side by the rings she's squooshed because the fabric pulls down so sharply, and on her other side the fabric from under my arm wants to cover her face.

And my shoulder's still killing me. Sorry if I sound whiny but I'm about ready to scrap this and get a wraparound so I can just have the weight on both shoulders ... instead of this tugging and bunching s ... er, stuff

Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 AM

Sorry you are having such a hard time, I wish I was there in person to help you out. I'm sitting here with my Maya Wrap in my lap trying to figure out how to best help you... lol.

1st its good to hear you got the back figured out, now lets work on the shoulder cap. Starting at the normal position take the shoulder cap flap and fold it back in 1/2 so it is faceing the outter edge of your shoulder but not over hanging, We'll try to keep it in this position so it isnt over hanging but is still opposite of the other edge. KWIM? Once you get the hang of wearing it you can experiment more with spreading the cap out. But right now I think the big issue is just getting the baby so you are comfy.

Put your sling on and try to keep the flap from sliding off the rest of the shoulder fabric but still faceing out wards so you get that nice spread on your back. That edge will be your bottom/inner rail. Now your fabric should not be riding right up into your armpit. Try to do all the adjustments without the baby till you get the hang of it, this will help you from losing space from pulling on the rings while she is in the sling. Tighten the inner rail so it slightly snug across your front. It still should not be in your armpit. If it is its too tight. Now visually check to see how much space you are gonna want in the pouch area and how loose you are going to need the upper rail to get her in. You dont want it too lose before you put her in because you will get confused and the sling will tend to shift more when you go to tighten it.

Once you got that far its time to put her in. If you are having trouble with her being squished and her face being covered try taking a recieving blanket and fold it up a couple times to help support her. Also try wearing her so her head it towards the rings. I had this problem as well. When I would put DD in with head towards the non-ringed side I always felt like she was upside down or getting lost in the fabric. Start with the rings slightly higher than you would normally wear them. I can just about garantee that by the time you are done playing around getting her in they'll be where you want em, if not grab a hold of them and gently jostle your little one down as you carefully hop the rings back up.

Once you get more practice it does get easier and quicker. You can also use the tail as a support too if you want to fold it up and place it under her. Goodluck! Now my hubby thinks I'm a nut sitting here with my Maya Wrap on and our kids are fast asleep!

Old 04-21-2004, 02:30 AM

I am no help, I can not help people with slings unless its in person. LOL

I do want to suggest if you go for the wrap around kind the Ultamate Baby wrap is very easy. My friend could not figure out her Maya with her first child and now uses it daily with her new baby! So there is hope for you.

Good luck I hope you can figure this out, keep an eye out for moms wearing slings at the mall or something!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:55 AM

i wish i could help...i never could figure out why maya wraps were made the way they are...all the pleating and shoulder cap stuff is strange! maybe someone with a webcam could demonstrate for you if the dvd isnt helping?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by girlndocs
I am trying to make sense of this, across my back it works OK now, but at what point ought that edge flip up to be the INNER rail of the pouch in, say, a kangaroo carry? Flip up it must, otherwise there's no "cup" to put her in.
I totally understand. This, in fact, was one of the problems I had with my sling at first. It DOES have to twist to go from being "along the bottom" on your back, and the "inside rail" when it's on your front.

When you are doing the kangaroo carry, I'm assuming your rings are on your right side (and you are wearing it on your right shoulder)....which way is your DD facing? DD and I always seemed to prefer having her sitting a bit sideways and facing to the right, so I ended up wearing my sling on my left shoulder. That way, the part where the tail goes into the ring provided a natural sort of back support, and I'd either tuck the tail in behind her head so she didn't rub against the rings, or I'd stick a burp-cloth in there. I found this really maximized the room I had to use in the pouch, and gave her more room also to position her feet where she was most comfortable.

HTH...it's so much easier when you have someone there to demonstrate for you!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 04-21-2004, 04:44 PM

Maybe your sling is too big? I can't imagine the XL! I am not tiny--5'3 and 155lbs, but I wear a small MW and the tail hits my hip. But it sounds like maybe the shoulder pleat on the XL is too wide if it is restricting your arm movement and digging into your neck. Normally, the shoulder cap would be flipped all the way out but it shouldn't come down so far on your arm.

The bottom edge does have to come in where it comes around your waist and you bring it up to form the inner rail of the pouch. But that shouldn't make it feel twisted. Then once you start doing feet-out carries, it stays on the bottom so that's not really an issue.

Hmmm, trying to think what else might help...
Old 04-22-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you sweet mamas for taking so much time to try and help me! I am not, however, going to try your suggestions today, as yesterday I went walking with some babywearing friends and wore the maya wrap since it was the only sling I had. At the midpoint of our walk I took dd out to nurse her, and when I put her in again I was hurrying to keep up with everyone else and didn't even try very hard to make sure the sling was on correctly. My bad. Of course I suffered for the whole rest of the walk and now I hurt, hurt, hurt. So I'm a little afraid of my maya wrap now, LOL.

I ordered a moby and I wonder if maybe I'll have an easier time learning the maya when the pressure is off, so to speak ... and I'm not frantically thinking "I gotta master this so I can wear her most of the time, I gotta master this so I can wear her most of the time!"

Anyway, I appreciate your help and I'll come back and reference it wen I'm not feeling so sling-intimidated

User Tag List