Two slings crossed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all. I'm currently pregnant with my first, so I'm totally new to babywearing. I have fibromyalgia & other back pain issues, so I'm thinking that I'm going to need to use something that distributes the weight evenly on both shoulders, like a wrap. I came across the "two slings crossed" method on the comparison chart on thebabywearer.com, but I can't figure out exactly how it works, and I can't find a picture. Is it exactly what it sounds like? Do you put the baby in the place where the slings cross? Does it apply to ring slings or pouches or something else I don't know about yet?  Or is it for two babies? Thanks.

#2 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM

This is how to use 2 ring slings on one baby from the paxbaby youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBUBMaRuKI

I would definitely recommend a high quality woven wrap (over ring slings).  My son's 30 lbs now, and I still can carry him easily on my front in my woven without any pain (Carrying on the front tends to get more uncomfortable than the back sooner).  If I were you, I would definitely get something at least a size 5 (4.1 m) or larger depending on your personal size, that way you can do multi-layer carries to provide more support.  I'm 5'5'' and 120 lbs, and I can do most of the basic multilayer carries with a 5 - you may want to start with a size 6 if you're larger.

#3 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi coldinaugust,

I've never heard of the "two slings crossed" method, but I wanted to share my own experience dealing with a slight scoliosis.  

My back pain problems began in my teens.  With my first baby (at 25), I just had to "deal" with the extra back pain from carrying my son around with our Infantino carrier and seven sling.  Sometimes, my body ached so bad at night, it was hard to fall asleep.  After having my second baby last August, I tried a Moby.  It was a snugger carry, but my back still throbbed in the evenings.  Finally, I splurged on an Ergo on Black Friday.  I've worn it almost daily for the last few weeks, and I NEVER have any back pain in the evenings!   So I really recommend going that route if you have serious back pain.  There are other similar carriers out there like the Boba.  I suggest you look for something that has padded shoulder straps and is build for great support.  

Congrats on the new baby!  Hope your back is holding up ok through the pregnancy!

CDing, BFing, BWing, bread-baking, animal-loving, non-stop traveling Mama of 2 sweeties, and loving every minute of it!

www.travelmother.com

#4 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Have you considered something like a baby ktan? It offers a lot of the easy in easy out benefits of a sling but uses both shoulders.
#5 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've done the crossed ringslings method a couple of times.  It was quite comfortable once everything was adjusted, but I kept getting the tails tangled in the crossed bit, so I just went back to using my woven wrap, or my mei tai.  I suspect that it could be a good carry with a bit of practice, but if you're shopping for a carrier, it wouldn't be my first choice of methods to invest in.

#6 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'd never seen the baby ktan before but it looks great, like a pouch carrier but with two shoulders. I'm bookmarking everything for later.

#7 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One thing to note on the K'Tan is that it has a limited window of use. It's stretchy so supposed to be good for newborns (though we didn't like it), but once your baby weighs a little more the support it offers isn't going to be enough. If you have room in the budget to get another carrier a few months in, I'd check it out; if not, I second the woven wrap suggestion. :)

#8 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 PM

My baby is 25 pounds and we still use it.
#9 of 9 Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM

The k'tan didn't work for us either. According to the size chart I was a small, but it still stretched so much that I felt it was unsafe.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page