talk to me about stretchy wraps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I'm here trying to figure out how to make my Maya Wrap more comfy and I start seeing pictures of wrap slings. That's what I want! It looks SO much easier to carry a baby in chest position with one of those. I love the idea of having dd's weight on both shoulders. I love the idea of being able to pop her in & out without having to readjust. I'm specifically thinking about the Moby wrap, especially since even new it would cost about the same as buying good fabric & making it myself.

So talk to me about the reality of those ideas. One thing peppermint.com said about the stretchy wraps is that they're "trickier" with a bigger baby because they might stretch over the course of the wearing. Have you found this to be a problem? For what size baby?

How much of a pain is it to tie once you get the knack of it? Do you find it easier or harder than putting on a Maya Wrap?

Can you really pop your baby in & out, leaving the sling on?

Does anyone have a big dh that also wears it? Is it long enough for that?

eta: am i going to steam myself in a moby over the summer? how thick and heavy is the fabric?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have lightweight summer stretch wraps(not Moby). It does get easier to get them on the more you use them because you aren't thinking "okay now what".

My 2 yo dd is 22lbs and I have gone for 3+ hour walks with her in the stretch. The only time it stretches too much it isn't really from it stretching too much, it is because I didn't tie it tight enough to begin with. IMO the only reason one would stretch too much is if it had too much lycra in it. The ones I have only have 2%.

I have 2 stretches, 1 is 5M and 1 is 6M. There should be plenty of length for your dh.

I like wearing the stretch when I go on my big shopping trips because I go to 3-4 stores and I put it on at home, then I pop her in and out when I get to each store.
#3 of 4 Old 04-21-2004, 05:58 AM

have you seen the hug-a-bub wrap? it is awesome. you could also try a didymos type sling...but dont pay the fortune for that brand...it is so simple to make one of your own! if you need help, pm me and i will give you some instructions!
#4 of 4 Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 PM

I use a Simply Attached Sling, but am thinking of getting a Moby IF I find the SAS is too hot for summer. So far not a problem, but it's April!

My dd is only 11 weeks, so I can't answer size questions.

Once you're used to it, tying up is no problem. I have been experimenting with different ties of late, and they take a little longer. But once you have your favorites, you'll be able to do them in your sleep. It does take longer than a ring sling (or similar type), but not THAT much longer.

I pop my dd in and out all day long, leaving the sling on. It's part of my attire now. I get a few looks when I still have it on and dh has baby, but that's OK!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page