New carrier needed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love babywearing, and wear my 6 mth old DS probably 75% of  the time, including almost all naps.  Currently we're using a ring sling for naps, a Mei Tai for longer walks, a pouch sling for quick hip carries, and a stretchy wrap for some quick errands.  I find that he is getting too heavy for the stretchy wrap (he slips down) and the ring sling is getting a bit tough on my shoulder- he likes to lay down and nurse in a cradle carry for naps. I love the support that my mei tai gives, but I have some trouble getting him comfy for nursing in it.  Also, I was never able to get the hang of a back carry on my own, which I'd like to be able to do since he is in the grabby stage, making it tough to cook/bake with him on the front or on my hip.  How easy is a back carry with an Ergo compared to a mei tai? Also, what are your thoughts on woven wraps for bigger babies.  How easy are they to wrap and nurse in? I think they're gorgeous, but I don't want to spend a long time having to wrap DS in and out....he's not the most patient little guy smile.gif  I also can't really afford another pricey carrier...DH would freak out!!! Thanks! 

#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

hi Mama,
Woven wraps are great for bigger babies and offer a lot of versatility, and way more support for you!
Please note that your baby should always be brought back up to an upright position after nursing.
You might consider doing a consultation with a Babywearing educator who can help you figure out how to nurse in a wrap or your mei tai. The Babywearing Institute has a list l educators that they have trained on their website.
Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 AM

I think a back carry is easier with an Ergo, but I do love mei tais, too.  I have a shorter torso, so the Ergo has to go way down on my hips to work out, but I can do a mei tai up high.  Wraps do take longer, for sure.  Don't buy anything new if you don't have to.  I just lay the baby on the mei tai, hold the straps tight against his chest and put him over my shoulder, tie the bottom and then tie the top.  Hope that helps!

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#4 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM

I can put DD on my back in the Ergo by myself. I strap just the waist belt on me, sit on the couch, put her on my back like a monkey, then pull up the body of the carrier and shoulder straps, tighten a little bit, stand up and do a couple jumps to get her settled, and tighten the straps all the way.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page