What do you think of the Ergo Baby Carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want a sling that works well for carrying my babe on my back. I have a bulky, hiking-type back carrier that he loves to be in, but it is really uncomfortable for me. I have an Ultimate Baby Wrap sling that you supposedly can tie and use with the baby on your back, but he doesn't feel secure back there at all. How is the Ergo? It looks okay, but what if your child pushes his head and body back away from you - is he secure against you or can he flip out?
#2 of 7 Old 04-20-2004, 09:13 PM

Hey, it's pretty secure. As you use it more you will get a feel for how it fits, but he shouldn't be able to flip out.

Personally I prefer WAHM sewn carriers vs. made in China like the Ergo, but it's a good design.
#3 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 12:02 AM

I just got mine, so I haven't been able to put it through vigorous testing yet. But so far, I love it! It distributes the weight very nicely (I was having major problems with uneven weight distribution with the sling). I've even been able to carry my 40 lb. DS around for an hour without too much trouble.

I also have a frame backpack, and I find this to be more comfortable (not as bulky). I haven't had a child try and push back out of it. But it feels very secure. I think the key would be to adjust until the carrier is up as far as possible on the baby/child's back. I have read one report (on another site) of a baby flipping out of the back of an Ergo, but it didn't sound like the carrier was being used correctly.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 AM

I mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. I also have a Kelty carrier and the Ergo is much better. It distributes the weight evenly and doesn't hurt my shoulders or back. Plus, my DS is very secure in the carrier and enjoys being in it.
#5 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 05:41 AM

its a very easy to use carrier, and i have no problems or fatigue carrying ds (23lbs) for hours in it. i mainly use it if i know we are going to be out for a long time so i can carry him on my back. it is just a bit too 'strappy' for me, takes up alot of space in the bag too.
i use my ring sling or my pouch sling so much more.
#6 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by busybusymomma
Personally I prefer WAHM sewn carriers vs. made in China like the Ergo, but it's a good design.
I just saw that other thread after posting this.

Can you give me some links for WAHM carriers that are similar in style to the Ergo?
#7 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 10:22 AM

Hmm... I know of the Kozy Carrier and the Equanitmity (sp?) Baby Mei Tai, but I think they're both closed for orders... they both tie instead of buckle though. The Sutemi isn't a WAHM carrier, but it's made in USA from what I hear. http://sutemigear.com/

Anyone? I'm not as up and up on carriers as I'd like to be!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page