bigger baby carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I have seen many people who baby wear their baby for a few years! I have an 11 month old and I currently have an infantino baby carrier. I love baby wearing, but my baby is about 23lbs, and the straps on the carrier leave red marks on my shoulders sometimes. I would love to baby wear for a couple years- I hate the stroller. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive baby carrier that has a higher maximum weight limit and doesn't leave shoulder marks? Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I think the carrier that fits your description best is probably a kanga (goes by lots of other names too), which is just a rectangle of cloth, about the size of a large beach towel (yes, you can use a beach towel), which is wrapped around mom and baby.  It's cheap to make, it can work with big kids, and doesn't leave red marks on the shoulder (although it takes a bit of practice to avoid red marks other places).   If you search youtube or on thebabywearer.com, you can find videos explaining how to use one.

If you want something with more structure, I've had good luck with mei tais.  There are lots of brands and models available, although not all of them work equally well with all body types, so if you're considering a specific brand/model, it's worthwhile trying one in real life before spending money.

#3 of 8 Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Hi, I still wear my DD (16 months, 20.5 lbs) quite a lot, though we often use the stroller too (for jogging).  I have an Ergo and a ring sling.  I can wear her in the ring sling for about 30 minutes before my shoulder gets tired.  I love my Ergo to pieces--though it's only inexpensive if you reckon up pennies per hour used--and we use it all the time.  I think a soft structured carrier of some sort, like an Ergo, is the way to go with a larger baby--it transfers the weight to your hips and keeps you from feeling like your shoulders and/or back are going to break.  I don't have a hiking carrier, but she'd probably love that, as she could see over my shoulder in the back carry.  (We mostly keep her on the front--I can't see her very well in the back, and she can't really see.  She likes to snuggle up to my front if she's not feeling well, and if she's feeling good she twists around to see where we're going.)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#4 of 8 Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

The Ergo can hold babies up to 45lbs, which sounds good. But is there any place where I can get one that is less expensive?  (Ie, less than 100 dollars). I also have a Moby, which I used when when my child was much younger. It says on their site that the Moby can be used  for babies up to 35lbs- has anyone ever used a Moby for a one or two year old? Thanks!

#5 of 8 Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 PM

We have an Olives & Applesauce carrier -- it's a 'soft structured carrier' like the Ergo, but I prefer it -- it is customizable (strap length etc.), has super pretty fabrics, has a built-in infant carrier (so you don't have to buy an extra part), and is a WAHM-made carrier.  Because a SSC has a wide waistband, most of the weight of the baby is carried on your hips, like a backpacking backpack.  We used ours (actually my hubby has a "manly" pattern and I have a more flashy one) for daily trips to daycare on public transit from when Jack was 11 months old. We actually used it this summer as well while on a trip to England, and carried our 35lb three year old all over on it (and didn't have to wrangle a stroller on cobblestones or in the airplane).  It's not super cheap, but when amortized over three years with another baby on the way, I definitely feel we've got our money's worth.  Sometimes they come up used on craigslist, ebay or on the babywearer forums.

#6 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Do you have a local consignment shop, or a local parents' listserve, or have you looked at Craigslist or freecycle?  All great places to find gently used and less expensive baby stuff.

Still happy with the ring sling here - I find the weight is comfortably distributed between my shoulder and hip.  Although Miss Snuggles is still 19 lbs.

Good luck!

#7 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM

Are you interested in pre-loved or WAHM carriers you might find the "babywearing swap" group in fb interesting.

My DD is 19 months  and still being wear in a regular size Action Baby Carrier. ABC is a lightweight SSC so it is cooler and more comfy compared to others. With regards, to your problem you may try the ABC toddler carrier, it is wider and supports extends to the knees. It has a weight limit of 15lbs-45lbs, it will not be too tight for you and your son so it will not leave any red mark.  I also hope to get this one..lol http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/shop/toddler-carrier/  

Their toddler carrier cost $114 while their standard size is $98 though they also have on sale prints for $70. Most of the time they also have promos and giveaways for their customers.

http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/shop/

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#8 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM

The Kindercarry is another one that makes a toddler and preschool size. They are expensive though.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page