Petite 5'1" and considering the Ergo, Beco Butterfly, Boba...no tying, quick to put on...help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Petite 5'1" and considering the ergo or mei tei-any advice or other suggestions? I have a 6 month old and the Bjorn is proving uncomfortable. I was able to use the Bjorn for my other son up until 1 year. Dont know how I did it! Want something good that will tolerate a lot of movement hands free (since my 2 year old keeps me active!)...but is affordable (under $120). Heard lots of good things about ergo...

#2 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Hello :) Im a bigger girl myself but I love my ergo! Its so handy to have my hands free and the babe close. I have a very active four year old so its nice to be able to chase her with out worrying about my little one. The ergo is super adjustable. So if my SIL who is similar in size to you wanted to wear it, she could just tighten a few straps and be good to go! Good luck in your search!

#3 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM

I'm also petite and LOVE my ergo.  It's all I ever used besides for the moby but I think by 6 months I was using the ergo exclusively.  

#4 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM

I have an Ergo and got a Boba this week. The Boba is more comfortable for me. I'm 5'2". Even my 12 year old has used it to wear the baby.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 20 Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM

I am 5 "1 too and wondering same thing. I wonder how much a difference your torso length makes, so much torso talk going on in my DDC. Some petite people have really short torso so i would think that may make the carrier feel longer , when a longer torso like me , maybe itd give more room?? Anyone think? When i sit down next to my 5 "6 friend were the same height, i just have short legs.
#6 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. I also am looking into the Beco Butterfly. Will look into the Boba! Thanks! Interested in something that does not tie as I need to be able to put it on quickly.

#7 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

i also wish i could find one that forward- faces....

#8 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Only thing I have against the butterfly is that there is a panel between baby and mom (which might get hot). I am also 5' 1" and interested in either the ergo or the beco gemini.

#9 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM

I'm 5'2 and love my ergo.  Haven't tried the others.

#10 of 20 Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've had an ergo and a Beco Gemini. I have sold the ergo and bought a second Beco. I find the ergo bulky and uncomfortable to wear. I also found the base too wide for my LO to sit in comfortably and the back too low.

I'm 5'6" with a fairly small frame.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 20 Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM

I'm five feet with a relatively long torso and I found the ergo terribly bulky. I can use it for a back carry for a toddler but I hate it for smaller babies and front carries. I had a beco butterfly that fit well but I didn't care for the panel, it took a lot longer to put on. With DS2 I finally ended up with an Angelpack which I love. It's slimmer and you can cross the back straps which helps with fit and bulk.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 20 Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post

n. With DS2 I finally ended up with an Angelpack which I love. It's slimmer and you can cross the back straps which helps with fit and bulk.

The crossover straps are a huge factor for me. I'm hoping our two Becos will see us out but, if I do ever need to buy another carrier I would only get one with crossover straps.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

why are you looking to change from the butterfly? because of the hot panel?

#14 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm 5 feet with a narrow frame. I love the Beco Gemini with the straps crossed at the back because they fit into my shoulder grooves. The Ergo has bulky straps and a short back, my DD likes to arch her back. 

I find that the Gemini rides low on my hips but that might be because I have a short torso. Oh and the Gemini does the forward face carry very easily, two snaps on the bottom part and you can still cross the straps at the back.

#15 of 20 Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM

I'm 5'2" and I love the Beco Gemini. My husband likes it too and he is 6'6"! I don't have an Ergo or Boba though.

#16 of 20 Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

I am 5' 6" and I love my Ergo.  I have a couple of friends that prefer their Tula carriers.  I would check and see if you have a babywearing group in your area and maybe you can try a couple.

#17 of 20 Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Same body build as you and love the ergo.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#18 of 20 Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I decided on the Ergo and cannot believe how much passion and love I have for this!!!! I thought babywearing was wearing my son until he outgrew the Bjorn at age 1. I was able to carry that son who is now 3yrs old and 31pounds, in the Ergo back-carrying, for 40 minutes on a walk and had no pain at all!!!! I bought it to carry my new son who is 17 pounds, but my toddler loves the Ergo! It has allowed me to bring back my memories of holding my 1st son and developing that same bond all over again. and again, he is 3! I did front-wear the baby also, and it was so warm and wonderful and cuddly that when i had to get back in the car, it was sad for both of us to part ways!!!! thank you to all for your feedback! i am SO HAPPY. i hope i don't wear-out the Ergo holding my toddler now haha!!

#19 of 20 Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Thats so wonderful to hear! I am glad you are able to get a lot of use out of it!

#20 of 20 Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM

smile.gif Awesome! Let us know how it feels after a week, or a month if you want..i wonder if it will continue to be comfy, hope so smile.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page