Renting a carrier/sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a stupid question, but are there any places online you can rent/lease a carrier or sling to try it out to see if you lke it before you buy it?

After the past 3 days hanging up diapers outside and having Gavin almost fall out on his head a few times by continually twisting his whole body around to try to lean/face forward not to mention the pain in my back that was so bad I was almost crying last night, I have *got* to get something different until he is happy playing in the grass. Unfortunately I don't have the money to blow on multiple carriers/slings if the first option doesn't work out, so unless I KNOW it's going to work, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money.

So does any service like this exist or should I try to get money saved and start one myself?
#2 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM

I do this locally. I give lessons and let people try my collection of slings, and if they want to keep one to use until their sling comes in, then there's a small additional fee. I know there are people in babywearing education in many different cities, and you can see if Mamatoto has any listings in your area. You can also try posting on the babywearing educators group on yahoo to see if there's anyone near you. If you're in Philadelphia PA, PM me, and I can help.

-Kate
#3 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 PM

I say put a post out there to see if any of the slingin mamas live in your area. www.theBabyWearer.com has a forum for babywearing mamas to link up. Most mamas are willing to loan out thier slings to people wanting to find oe they like. Otherwise you can always get it and try it out and if you decide you dont like it as long as its in new condition and not washed many manufactureres take returns. Another option is to scout Ebay for cheaper slings that are used or do a trade for a sling. I belive there is a babywearing swap in the works on the TP board. Goodluck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#4 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 03:01 PM

I offer a trial options on the carriers I sale, and can probably get a particular sling you are interested in for you to try as well. PM me if you want more info.

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#5 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 04:24 PM

Is there anyway you can turn your son forward facing before you start hanging diapers? then he won't be twisting around to try and get there? my DS is a total wanna look and see kinda kid. Anyway what type of sling are you using now? for comfort a stretchy wrap might be better, cross carry facing forward. I don't know of any place that rents them though, sorry!
#6 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 05:19 PM

I know most sling makers have some sort of return policy. As long as you don't get it dirty and it is not washed, I would say just return it if you are not happy with it.

:bf
#7 of 13 Old 04-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Most vendors will have a very good return policy, so you'd only be out shipping if you decided to return a carrier. And Lisa at Cotton Cradles (http://www.cottoncradles.com) does have a rental policy that's very cool!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#8 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Just to clarify . . .you put your DS in a front carry, but NOT forward facing? How about if you put him on your back? It would be much easier to hang diapers this way.

I think this is MUCH safer to do with a wrap/ABC/2 sling deal (anything over 2 shoulders) versus a pouch/sling. I really don't think you can go wrong with an ABC (I like the padded shoulder types, like a Kozy) or a wrap (not that I've tried a stretchy wrap, but I think woven wraps are easier to get tight). The woven wraps are more $, but may be easier in the long run (esp. with an older baby).

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#9 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 02:28 PM

There's no need to buy a $60-$200 wrap to hang laundry on the line. You can make a wrap out of cotton gauze from the dollar table at Walmart. It will be comfortable and workable and simple, and cost you $5. At that price, you can have one for every day and the week.
#10 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys - I'd never even thought of the return policy deal. I need my "duh" award now.

Right now we're suffering through with our Heart 2 Heart sling. The ONLY way he'd tolerate it for even a few minutes when he was younger was facing front, but due to his size that's just not possible anymore, so I was doing the side carry, which resulted in him constantly trying to flip forward and down. (No matter how I'm adjusting it, I just cannot get him secure enough that I'm not worried he'll flip out)

I talked to my mom and she bought us a carrier (Ergo) for a late "Easter present" so I'm hoping it will work out well.

I've got a mental block for wraps for some reason. I think because if possible, I want something that takes under a minute to get on and off so I can easily take him in and out of it for errands. Wraps just always look so complicated. I think I'm just too lazy to make myself learn. :
#11 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 03:29 PM

Wraps don't have to be complicated. With some carries, you can get baby up and tied in 10 seconds.
#12 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 04:23 PM

I agree that wraps aren't complicated. They sound complicated until you actually try them, alot of them have the same basic concept.

You could always try a shorter wrap(3M) that is basically a ring sling without the rings and then move to the longer wraps after you're comfortable with wraps.
#13 of 13 Old 04-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natural Blessings
I agree that wraps aren't complicated. They sound complicated until you actually try them, alot of them have the same basic concept.

You could always try a shorter wrap(3M) that is basically a ring sling without the rings and then move to the longer wraps after you're comfortable with wraps.
I agree that wraps are not necessarily complicated, though I will offer up a different view on the short vs. long. I find that a long wrap is easier than a ring sling, but a short wrap can be harder than a ring sling. Getting the knot just right for a ringless sling can be tricky to me.

From easy to hard for me... pouch, wrap or ABC, ring sling, short wrap (aka ringless sling, knotted sling, reboxo, etc.).

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page